Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 13, 2010, 12:16:05 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on July 11, 2010, 03:42:30 PM
No matter what Sludden did to be attacked by at least 4 fans is an absolute and total disgrace! The 'fans' that did that are absolute thugs, have let their county down and should be banned for life!

I have made no comment on this at all up to now, but the one that should be banned for life is the moustached one who came down from Tyrone and was hell bent on showing off his authority as if he owned Croke Park. His demanour alone during and after the game showed that his friends he brought along for umpires might as well have been his robots, he was in charge and that was it.

I am sick of listening to and reading in the media that he was attacked, he was not attacked because if I was near him at the end I would have landed him on his arse which would have been an attack, albeit a wrong one.

Another culprit in this was the ref who allowed Sheirdan throw the ball into the net against Dublin after receiving a fisted pass across the goalmouth and there was nothing about it. That, along with the idiots who selected Sludden for a Leinster Final are the ones responsible and how this referee in the Meath/Louth game got on the panel while the likes of Dickie Murphy were refused is beyond me. Peter McKenna would be better off sorting out his security problems instead of telling the Gardai what to do and the Gardai would be better off concentrating on the cigarette smugglers and dissadents up around that area than GAA fans who over reacted to what everyone, except that fool from Tyrone could see was daylight robbery on Louth.
Hit the nail on the head the Bud wiser couldn't agree more.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 12:24:40 PM
Pathetic, Bud.

Dead right Hardstation, he was pathetic.  The worst I have ever seen in all my time watching GAA.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

fearglasmor

Magpie Seanie, is it not fair to say that what gets reviewed using video evidence is exclusively issues of player discipline or indiscipline. As a parallel, rugby has citing commissioners who deal with issues of discipline after the event, but I dont think they have any role in reviewing the scores.

You are right that committees award games, but they do so on the basis of the referees report. While Mr Sludden may have admitted that he made a mistake, he obviously did not amend his report to delete the Meath goal, therefore the final score still stands.

Maguire01

Quote from: Hound on July 13, 2010, 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 11:47:36 AM
I'm not sure Meath can really win in this situation. If they do offer a replay, i'd expect them to win with a bit to spare. Then you'd have some Louth fans still claiming that the first game was the real game and that they were still cheated.
I can no reason for expecting that Meath would beat Louth "with a bit to spare" if they met again.
Just my opinion. I think Meath are the better team. I don't think they'd play as poorly again. There's a general pattern that where the underdog miss their chance on the first day, the favourites don't let it slip in the replay.

Anyway, that's almost a side issue - my main angle was what the reaction of Louth would be were Meath to win a replay. Would it be all fair and square or would we still be hearing about last Sunday's match?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 13, 2010, 12:16:05 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on July 11, 2010, 03:42:30 PM
No matter what Sludden did to be attacked by at least 4 fans is an absolute and total disgrace! The 'fans' that did that are absolute thugs, have let their county down and should be banned for life!

I have made no comment on this at all up to now, but the one that should be banned for life is the moustached one who came down from Tyrone and was hell bent on showing off his authority as if he owned Croke Park. His demanour alone during and after the game showed that his friends he brought along for umpires might as well have been his robots, he was in charge and that was it.

I am sick of listening to and reading in the media that he was attacked, he was not attacked because if I was near him at the end I would have landed him on his arse which would have been an attack, albeit a wrong one.

Another culprit in this was the ref who allowed Sheirdan throw the ball into the net against Dublin after receiving a fisted pass across the goalmouth and there was nothing about it. That, along with the idiots who selected Sludden for a Leinster Final are the ones responsible and how this referee in the Meath/Louth game got on the panel while the likes of Dickie Murphy were refused is beyond me. Peter McKenna would be better off sorting out his security problems instead of telling the Gardai what to do and the Gardai would be better off concentrating on the cigarette smugglers and dissadents up around that area than GAA fans who over reacted to what everyone, except that fool from Tyrone could see was daylight robbery on Louth.

Disappointed in that Bud. Surprised as well. Is it only a problem if SLudden was actually split open?

demusicman

Simply the game is over Meath are Leinster Champions.
Why? The ref recorded it as a goal . If player in the square,if player fouled, if player rolled over line,if player threw ball over line,if umpires decision not counted if ref or player admit they are wrong.
It makes no difference MEATH ARE LEINSTER CHAMPIONS 2010 as the refs notebook records the goal given.
As Colm O Rourke in The Sunday Tribune once wrote around the time of the now famous games with Cork ------- "TO HELL WITH THE BEGRUDDGERS"

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 12:29:09 PM
Magpie Seanie, is it not fair to say that what gets reviewed using video evidence is exclusively issues of player discipline or indiscipline. As a parallel, rugby has citing commissioners who deal with issues of discipline after the event, but I dont think they have any role in reviewing the scores.

You are right that committees award games, but they do so on the basis of the referees report. While Mr Sludden may have admitted that he made a mistake, he obviously did not amend his report to delete the Meath goal, therefore the final score still stands.

By that rationale then the suspensions of Galvin and O'Sé recently should not have occurred.

fearglasmor

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 12:45:32 PM

By that rationale then the suspensions of Galvin and O'Sé recently should not have occurred.

No because the procedures make a very obvious and clear distinction between matters of discipline and deciding the outcome of a match.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on July 13, 2010, 12:18:57 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 11:58:11 AM
Hound - I'm not saying its ideal but as it happens the CCCC are already reviewing things every week for decisions that were wrong. Am I to take it from you that its ok to do that so long as scores are not reviewed? Its not my "idea" Hound - its the rules as they are currently framed. If the GAA's primary concern was justice for Louth (that sounds a little weird/ott but you know what I mean) they have the mechanism to correct the wrong. The fact that they deny this and are putting all the pressure on Meath is in my eyes further scandal upon a scandal.
Sport is often unfair and unjust, that's part of it. Louth were robbed by an incompetent referree, there is nothing the GAA can do about that after the event.

There is a huge different between reviewing disciplinary matters and reviewing scores. The CCCC decided that Tomas O'Se should have been sent off in the first half v Limerick. He played a huge part in Kerry's narrow victory. Limerick could well have won had the sending off occurred. The least bit of justice Limerick deserved for the mistake by the ref was a replay. But this wasn't even considered by the CCCC - and rightly so in my opinion.

I disagree completely and I have outlined clearly, citing the rule book, what the GAA can (and should) do. however, it seems in this case that if they keep sticking to the same mantra (with the aid of an unquestioning media) most people will buy it despite the clear evidence to the contrary. A replay is the path of least resisitance and will bring in a few more quid to pay for security barriers and rule books or "cans of worms" are conveniently fucked out the window in the name of expediency.

Saying sport is often unjust and unfair doesn't make it right that its that way. It shouldn't be. We can all accept getting beaten "fair and square" and shouldn't have to accept being cheated.

Bud Wiser

QuoteDisappointed in that Bud. Surprised as well. Is it only a problem if SLudden was actually split open?

The fact is, he wasn't split open, he got a few pushes and shoves and the way ye are all talking, and RTE having a field day out iof it ye would think that the Black & Tans were after coming into Croke Park again and shooting the place up.  Words like "ATTACKS" "RIOTS"  I suppose he was lucky he wasn't split open and if I were him I would take a lot of consolation from that and hang hiw whistle on his bedpost and forget about it.

He hadn't even the decency to write in his report that the goal should not be allowed and that makes him to be as big a dictator off the pitch as he was on it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

magpie seanie

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 12:53:07 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 12:45:32 PM

No because the procedures make a very obvious and clear distinction between matters of discipline deciding the outcome of a match.

Do they? I assume you can quote me these so-called procedures or a rule to back up your statement? I'd like to see it because it would be news to me.

mattockranger

Being a Louth man on the Meath border......
the last couple of days has been extremely hard to take....i know there is more to life and it could be a lot worse.....but when you get a second alone to yourself your mind wanders to disbelief and a sick feeling at the bottom of your gut......

But I'd like to analysis the game first and foremost
It is harsh due to the circumstances we lost but I feel we should have won the game before the circumstances arisen...

The turning point for me was the difference in free taking Cian Ward scored a superb pressure free beyond the fifty yard line and then Brian White missed free would have left 2 in it hence no playing for a draw

What really annoys me and where I feel Meath fans let themselves down is the sheer brashness and ignorance of the other teams dismay...creating petty arguments instead of just accepting the injustice saying nothing and moving on.....

where can you see the details of referees report???
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

MR99

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 13, 2010, 12:54:10 PM
QuoteDisappointed in that Bud. Surprised as well. Is it only a problem if SLudden was actually split open?

The fact is, he wasn't split open, he got a few pushes and shoves and the way ye are all talking, and RTE having a field day out iof it ye would think that the Black & Tans were after coming into Croke Park again and shooting the place up.  Words like "ATTACKS" "RIOTS"  I suppose he was lucky he wasn't split open and if I were him I would take a lot of consolation from that and hang hiw whistle on his bedpost and forget about it.

He hadn't even the decency to write in his report that the goal should not be allowed and that makes him to be as big a dictator off the pitch as he was on it.
Dont know where u get your info, but in his report he clearly states that the goal should not have been allowed and that he made a mistake.  The Louth corner back made a mistake by losing the ball and giving away a free just before the goal, I dont see you saying that he should have been split!

Bud Wiser

Quotewhere can you see the details of referees report???

If your from Louth forget about the referees report and keep yer heads up and go on and win the rest of your games.  You have a massive groundswell of support now, use it.