Interested in joining a GAA Club in Dublin?

Started by Porterbelly, February 14, 2007, 02:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porterbelly

Portobello GAA Club
Interested in joining a GAA Club in Dublin?

The Portobello GAA Club, consisting of Camogie, Mens & Ladies Football teams are always looking for eager and enthusiastic players to join or train along with.

Centrally located in the heart of Rathmines in Dublin 6, Portobello is ideal for any player living in Rathmines or the surrounding area. Players are drawn from every county and the club has an enjoyable social scene.
Training takes place in Leinster Road, Rathmines and is already underway for all three teams:

Mens training Tuesday & Thursday 7.30pm
Ladies training Monday & Wednesday 7.00pm
Camogie Tuesday & Thursday
If you are interested in playing football or camogie with Portobello GAA for 2007 please directly call one of the following:
Camogie - Mick Murphy
Mens Football – Tom Brennan
Women's Football – Pat Keane
We can be contacted on our web site: http://homepage.eircom.net/~portobellogaa/index.htm

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Canalman

Not a bad club to join for a lad up from the country. Not a member. Have been told that they like saucing  together.We played them this year in AFL 6 and while they are not the greatest of teams (they still beat us ) they seemed a sound bunch of lads.

You could do worse. They are very like any GAA club in Oz or USA with a constant turnover of players.

Blacksheep

Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Bogball XV

what divisions do yer football team play in? 

Porterbelly

There are 13 divisions in Dublin.
First 2 are Senior, second 2 Intermediate and the rest are Junior.
We are Div 7 which is Junior 3.

It's a secure floodlit pitch and we have full access to it at peak training times during the week.

Anyone who wants to come along just for the training is very welcome.

Mayo4Sam

Counter offer

St James gaels is based in crumlin and provides a good atmosphere. Theres a decent mix of country & local lads.
There are minor teams and 2 junior teams
Junior 1, div 5, just relegated last year and with serious aspirations to return to intermediate staus
Junior 5, div 9, a bit of craic and should do well this year with a good chance of winning the sheridan cup

Training Mon & Wed 7.30 iveagh grounds
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

These type of ads annoy the f**k out of me.

Mayo4Sam

Why?
Lots of lads move to dublin and know nobody playing ball & aren't good enough to be heading home every weekend, its more for a bit of fitness and the craic.
Esp lads that are finishing college and living in dublin for their first summer

magpie seanie

GAA clubs touting for other clubs members doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Mayo4Sam

The kind of lads that play in this kind of club are fella who wouldn't play at all if they didn't play here, I know I'm one of them.
I would never have the ability or commitment to travel a 300 mile round trip to train at home at the weekends or play a match but i love playing and get the oppurtunityy to here, its great craic and it lets me keep up the game. These clubs are different to the likes of Na Fianna, Bridgets, Kilmacud, who tout for inter-county players.
The lads we would want are fellas that are sitting at home watching DVDs on a wednesday nite and in bed with a hangover sunday morning.

baoithe

I'm with Mayo4Sam on this one. Seanie I dont see why 'ads like this' annoy you so much. Undoubtedly, touting for country players by clubs such as Na Fianna is sickening but they usually seek out players that would be operating at a fairly high level. Plus, I've never heard of them advertise on a forum like this. Ads like this are for Junior clubs and as someone who just doesnt have the time to go all the way to Sligo every weekend to play some football, I think that having the opportunity to play in Dublin is great.

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 06, 2007, 01:54:43 PM
Agreed. I refuse to publish any who sign our club "guestbook" who advertise. Any club that repeatedly posts will see their ISP getting a spam abuse report too.

Croí na hÉireann

Well if it wasn't for spotting a similar type "ad" on the Hoganstand a couple of years ago I'd be sitting in tomorrow night watching the Champions League or out playing 5 aside soccer. Have aspirations to pick up the small ball as well during the summer so wind ur neck in there a bit.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 06, 2007, 02:47:42 PM
Agreed. I refuse to publish any who sign our club "guestbook" who advertise. Any club that repeatedly posts will see their ISP getting a spam abuse report too.

I would never be looking to take players from another club, this type of football is for lads who would otherwise not be playing football and live in a reasonable locality of crumlin, portabello wherever. But the nature of these clubs is that they lose players every year to lads going travelling or moving jobs. I've been involved with james for the last 8 years but have missed 4 summers thru working in belfast, mayo and travelling.
There is not one member of our team who wowuld be prepared to travel home for matches and so instead just wouldn't be playing