CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Excellent stuff Rossfan, we need to ruffle the magpie's feathers then the cat will be among the pigeons

Best of luck to Fergal & the boys tomorrow, We have nothing to lose! the time has come to give the loyal/Die-hard Roscommon supporters something to shout about!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 16, 2010, 01:08:35 AM
Sligo Team not from an official source is Greene, Harrison, McGuire, Donovan, J Davey, Phillips, Cawley, Gilmartin, Taylor, Costello, Breheny, O Hara, McGee, Marren, Kelly.

I can see on all the boards and the Roscommon folk trying to convince themselves into winning frame of mind, but its one thing thinking your going to win and another knowing your going to win.

What an absolute clown you are Sligonian. Win a couple of matches, and the arrogance flows like shit out of you. I've seen this with Sligo people before. Give me knowledgeable Gaa people from Mayo and Galway any day.

Shrewdness

Quote from: ross matt on July 16, 2010, 02:49:01 PM
Knowing the set up in Sligo as well as I do I'm sad to say there are no "Sligonian" style attitudes within the panel or management. Arrogance or complacency simply wont be a factor with them. This is a highly efficient and businesslike Sligo side. The only negative for them is possibly fear of failure due to the high expectations/favourites tag etc may cause them to freeze a little. That and maybe the high intensity of their recent matches may have taken its toll in terms of mental tiredness/injury so they may be a little flat.

I'm hoping Fergie will motivate Ross to throw off the shackles and play with a bit of abandon. Young and raw they may be but they've lads with minor and u-21 medals who've faced down and beaten the like of Mayo, Galway, Meath and Kerry during their recent underage career. So there has to be some underlying self belief. If the few older head like Karol Mannion, Casey and Heneghan have a big game we're in with a chance.

However the only way Ross will win is if everything goes right for them on the day and a significant number things go wrong for Sligo. The media coverage has been disgracefully sparse for what is a novel Connacht Final pairing. Here's to a great match!

Well said Matt on everything there.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 17, 2010, 08:35:38 PM
Sligo Team not from an official source is Greene, Harrison, McGuire, Donovan, J Davey, Phillips, Cawley, Gilmartin, Taylor, Costello, Breheny, O Hara, McGee, Marren, Kelly.

I can see on all the boards and the Roscommon folk trying to convince themselves into winning frame of mind, but its one thing thinking your going to win and another knowing your going to win.

What an absolute clown you are Sligonian. Win a couple of matches, and the arrogance flows like shit out of you. I've seen this with Sligo people before. Give me knowledgeable Gaa people from Mayo and Galway any day.

I thought it was only us Mayo boys Sligonian had it in for.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2010, 09:50:52 PM

I thought it was only us Mayo boys Sligonian had it in for.
:D Let the battle commence!!
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

jjjshabadoojnr

Ive seen this behaviour from supporters of all teams in connacht at one time or another. I someone deduce that the bold Sligonian made the statement with tongue firmly in cheek in the hope that someone would fall for the bait - take a bow shrewdness.
I noted from my time in Sligo IT that Mayo people in particular had a penchant for this type of behaviour.
It is a rare phenomenon indeed that would see GAA knowledge confined exclusively to the borders of Mayo and Galway. ::) Maybe Jim Corr might look into that one. Scutter talk if ever I heard it.

Best of luck to Kevin and the lads tomorrow. Hopefully we will be Connacht Champs come 6pm. All i know is that regardless of the result these lads have been a breath of fresh air this year and have played some delightfull football which has been a joy to watch for this supporter. What is rare is beautiful. Up the Magpies!

Shrewdness

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on July 17, 2010, 10:01:10 PM

Ive seen this behaviour from supporters of all teams in connacht at one time or another. I someone deduce that the bold Sligonian made the statement with tongue firmly in cheek in the hope that someone would fall for the bait - take a bow shrewdness.
I noted from my time in Sligo IT that Mayo people in particular had a penchant for this type of behaviour.
It is a rare phenomenon indeed that would see GAA knowledge confined exclusively to the borders of Mayo and Galway. ::) Maybe Jim Corr might look into that one. Scutter talk if ever I heard it.

Best of luck to Kevin and the lads tomorrow. Hopefully we will be Connacht Champs come 6pm. All i know is that regardless of the result these lads have been a breath of fresh air this year and have played some delightfull football which has been a joy to watch for this supporter. What is rare is beautiful. Up the Magpies!

Actually, if you read back a few pages, you'll see that i wasn't the first person to comment on Sligonian's remarks, so i won't be taking any bow.

Best of luck to the Rossies, and may the spirit of the late great Dermot Earley inspire our team to victory tomorrow.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 17, 2010, 10:11:34 PM
Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on July 17, 2010, 10:01:10 PM

Actually, if you read back a few pages, you'll see that i wasn't the first person to comment on Sligonian's remarks, so i won't be taking any bow.

Best of luck to the Rossies, and may the spirit of the late great Dermot Earley inspire our team to victory tomorrow.
I said on here and stolensheep my that comment about knowing was a wind up, i could see ye were looking to get offended all week, when i said it would be tight but i expect Sligo to win etc.. im called a arrogant p***k, so i decided to well give ye what ye wanted. We are better than ye and i had to laugh today when on Saturday game, of Derry v Kildare, and mcstay saying 4-1odds for Ros was crazy odds as ros never fear Sligo (even though we have a decent record there) and Flynn saying "now kevin 4-1 odds is accurate, i expect Sligo to win by at least 6pts even if they play mediocre, theres no form with roscommon and there wins over london and leitrim were poor performances"

He is from Meath but if a Sligoman said that heaven forbid. Im excited, im nervous, im expectant, and i trust our lads to do the business. No one knows the future so roscommon have a chance but a slight one at that imo and alot has to go against us and for ye.

SLIGONIAN

Just to add in Roscommon and Sligo reached the Ted webb cup final today at u16 level. Congrats to both, Its a repeat of last yrs final.

Sligo also qualified for the manning cup final against Westmeath at u16. Congrats again.

Hopefully we'll get the right management in place to get some success at underage at u18 and u21, but there is a conveyor belt of talent coming through, i was the u14 A and shieldclub finals and outstanding footballers coming through.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Well lads just back in town from the country, took a while but we managed to secure the uncles sheep at a secret location.

I hear Mayo County Hospital has called in extra Doctors, Nurses and EMTs to treat shock in case of a Sligo defeat.

Driving through the town there, its like the fall of Rome and the Barbarian Hordes have taken camp. Has Sligonian crossed the Rubicon Moy yet?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

SLIGONIAN you said what you said... can't back track now, no body believes your BS story that it was a "wind up" on here or on stolensheep

but seeing that you know stuff will happen i shall be getting the lotto numbers off you for next weekend  :P
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Terrible when people can't conduct themselves with a bit of decorum on Connacht final day. Bloody nouveau riche. ;D

Beard

Roscommon were 4-1 going in to the 1998 Connacht Final as well and look what hapened on that occaisson! Roscommon do love to be underdogs and I expect us to push Sligo all the way today.  We don't have the forwards to win it though and Kevin Walsh will be well aware of how dangerous Roscommon can be in this situation.

I was impressed by Donovan and Harrison against Galway and I cannot see them giving away the same number of silly frees as Leitrim did against us.

The only way Sligo can lose this game is if Shine gets a few early scores and Sligo panic and pull O'Hara back into defence to play as a sweeper. This might allow us to get some ball in the mid-field area which may lead to us gaining confidence and it could be game on. If Sligo keep it simple and stave us of ball they will win, possibly easily.

Prediction

Sligo 1-14 Roscommon 0-11

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 16, 2010, 04:57:10 PM

Im real, ask Larnaparka  ;), if you want deel rover i'll sign my autograph in your programme. I have a good friend from Crossmolina and all of Sligo know me so not hard to know who am. I dont have any anonomity, as I found out a few weeks ago but kinda already knew that.

Oi! Leave Lar outa this.
He is still feeling his ass after the root he got from Hardy on the Meath/Louth thread for daring to suggest that Joe Sheridan could just as easily have been smirking and not smiling when he flashed the gnashers at some Louth players after the game last Sunday.
You see, Lar prefers to know the facts rather than taking assumptions at face value at all times. (Except of course when it suits him not to!)
As you didn't produce your passport or driving licence when you met him, he won't guarantee anything about nothing. Mind you, if you had brought your credit card details along with you, he would have accepted them as proof of your identity. ;)

Seriously, if I were you, I wouldn't crow too much until the game is over. 'Nearly never bulled a cow yet' and all that.
The Rossies won't come along just to make up numbers- they never do.
You'll only know Sligo's true worth when the game is over and not a minute before that.
Yee nearly blew it against Galway in the first game- as yee nearly blew it against the same opposition in the '07 final.
Batin' the pick of Galway and Mayo this year would have been no big deal for any sort of a half-assed team in the land. I've been talking to a number of Sligo heads over the past week or so and they all seem to be falling into the complacency trap.
Yee could find yeerselves walking through the back door before yee know what's happening.
Keep yeer breath to cool yeer soup until the ref blows the final whistle.

(Phew! That's enough of them bloody yees.) ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ballinaman

Best of luck to both counties and sets of supporters, will be a big boost for whoever wins. Probably backin Sligo myself seeing as spent many a summer in Enniscrone and cold night down in the showgrounds but would begrudge the Rossies either, they've had to put up with some seriously shite years since 01 (excluding underage success)!