CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on July 16, 2010, 01:28:59 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 16, 2010, 01:08:35 AM

I can see on all the boards and the Roscommon folk trying to convince themselves into winning frame of mind, but its one thing thinking your going to win and another knowing your going to win.

Still awaiting your reply over on stolensheep, is there such a thing as "knowing your going to win"

Once you choose hope, anything's possible

Ya ross4life we knew we where going to win against Kerry in the 1997 All-Ireland Final  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 16, 2010, 01:31:44 AM
Quote from: ross4life on July 16, 2010, 01:28:59 AM

I can see on all the boards and the Roscommon folk trying to convince themselves into winning frame of mind, but its one thing thinking your going to win and another knowing your going to win.

Still awaiting your reply over on stolensheep, is there such a thing as "knowing your going to win"

Once you choose hope, anything's possible

Ya ross4life we knew we where going to win against Kerry in the 1997 All-Ireland Final  ;)

:D i bet.. if football was that predictable i know i for one wouldn't be following it
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paddypastit

Sligonian
QuoteSligo Team not from an official source is Greene, Harrison, McGuire, Donovan, J Davey, Phillips, Cawley, Gilmartin, Taylor, Costello, Breheny, O Hara, McGee, Marren, Kelly.
That is officially the team also, although Davey will weare 7 and Cawley 5 and Taylor 8 and Gilmartin 9. Go n-eiridh an bothar leo go leir
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

mjg

Never when mayo were beating us in an out of the gates in hyde or mchale did i encounter such arrogance or cockiness as that that sprouts from sligonian.Your attempt to turn sligo in to the meath of connacht is right on track

Barney

Good luck to both teams on Sunday.

Although the game hasn't featured prominently in the national focus it is a very novel and exciting day for Connacht football. Of course as a Mayo fan I will be sickened to be sitting on the sidelines with no active interest when Jimmy White sets the lads off looking for the Nestor Cup (the 147 of Connacht football).

Sligo have shown the form, and are tested coming into the game. They have also had two testing matches since the last game for Ros. However I do think the Rossies have been building up all year to give the Connacht Final a seriously good rattle. They will not fear Sligo in the slightest and will have a confidence of winning the game which may not have been there playing Mayo or Galway. It should be a tight game.

The interesting thing is to see how the two teams will do in the weeks after. The suspicion has to be that although the Connacht Championship this year has been very exciting the standard is low. Mayo and Galway were pathetic. Sligo were much better than Galway on day 1 but crawled over the line on day 2. They still only beat a diabolical Mayo by 4 points and a decent 10 minutes by Mayo in the second half could have changed that outcome.

I suppose we'll know soon enough!

spectator

its one thing thinking your going to win and another knowing your going to win.

:D

Hope we get a good competitive game - the experience should stand our young lads in good stead for the future.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: spectator on July 16, 2010, 09:02:01 AM
its one thing thinking your going to win and another knowing your going to win.

:D

Hope we get a good competitive game - the experience should stand our young lads in good stead for the future.
Well at least you didnt fall for it :D

No one knows the future, sure ive been saying that for yrs, i certainly cant say with certainty who will win. Lots of things are possible. But i do think its in our hands, if we play to our potential and start the game with a high intensity we will win.

Best of Luck to Sligo.

Apparently 10500 tickets sold as of yesterday in Sligo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

Sligonian is a confident sort but i think most other Sligo supporters are more grounded and realistic. On paper we have an excellent chance of winning having already taken care of both Galway and Mayo. There lies the issues facing Sligo - having already played 3 tough hard championship games can we now raise our game again against a supposed lesser team.

As for Ross are they as poor as their own supporters are making out. The league position would suggest so however with exception of first league and last league (where they were missing many players) they won 1 game against the rightful Leinster champions and lost every other game by 1 or 2 points. Ross also won the 2 championship games they played only raising their game in second half of the Leitrim match.

Based on the above i would hope that Sligo have approached this game in the right manner and don't take Roscommon for granted. Hopefully Sligo have been forewarned by the performances on supposed weaker teams in the last fortnight (Louth, Limerick, Wexford) and play with the same intensity and passion as the Mayo and Galway performances. If we do that we should cross the line as winners, if we don't and Roscommon outbattle us then it could go either way.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on July 16, 2010, 11:20:52 AM
Sligonian is a confident sort but i think most other Sligo supporters are more grounded and realistic. On paper we have an excellent chance of winning having already taken care of both Galway and Mayo. There lies the issues facing Sligo - having already played 3 tough hard championship games can we now raise our game again against a supposed lesser team.

As for Ross are they as poor as their own supporters are making out. The league position would suggest so however with exception of first league and last league (where they were missing many players) they won 1 game against the rightful Leinster champions and lost every other game by 1 or 2 points. Ross also won the 2 championship games they played only raising their game in second half of the Leitrim match.

Based on the above i would hope that Sligo have approached this game in the right manner and don't take Roscommon for granted. Hopefully Sligo have been forewarned by the performances on supposed weaker teams in the last fortnight (Louth, Limerick, Wexford) and play with the same intensity and passion as the Mayo and Galway performances. If we do that we should cross the line as winners, if we don't and Roscommon outbattle us then it could go either way.

Your basically echoing my sentiments. Look im the same as always, no matter who we play i'll go in thinking we will win. I am as confident of beating of Roscommon as I was of beating Mayo and Galway. I never once said its going to easy and that we will hammer them, ive been relaistic, i cant see Roscommon rolling over for us. Deep down im nervous and that is out of respect for Roscommon, and the chance our lads would be complacent and the ref.

Mano id take your point on playing 3 championship matches if we hadnt enough time to recupurate but its been 2 weeks since the Galway replay, the lads on a roll since march, are in a serious habit of winning. Surely we can lift it again for a Connacht final.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

Sligo have something like 6 Connacht titles. Hardly the Meath of connacht. More like the, er, Laois.

Ros seem to come up with a decent team about once every 10 years. Will this year's be the latest version to take its place amongst the teams from 1980, 1991 and 2001 ?

the Deel Rover

will you be able to buy tickets on the day ? Should be a great atmosphere at the game and if the weather is good i wouldn't might heading up to have a look at what hopefully should be a good entertaining match if i do head up i going to have a go at spotting sligonian ( to see if he is in fact human and not a myth) should be fairly easy i'd say he will be the one sitting calmly down chilling watching the game progress, wont you sligonian  ;) 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ross matt

Knowing the set up in Sligo as well as I do I'm sad to say there are no "Sligonian" style attitudes within the panel or management. Arrogance or complacency simply wont be a factor with them. This is a highly efficient and businesslike Sligo side. The only negative for them is possibly fear of failure due to the high expectations/favourites tag etc may cause them to freeze a little. That and maybe the high intensity of their recent matches may have taken its toll in terms of mental tiredness/injury so they may be a little flat.

I'm hoping Fergie will motivate Ross to throw off the shackles and play with a bit of abandon. Young and raw they may be but they've lads with minor and u-21 medals who've faced down and beaten the like of Mayo, Galway, Meath and Kerry during their recent underage career. So there has to be some underlying self belief. If the few older head like Karol Mannion, Casey and Heneghan have a big game we're in with a chance.

However the only way Ross will win is if everything goes right for them on the day and a significant number things go wrong for Sligo. The media coverage has been disgracefully sparse for what is a novel Connacht Final pairing. Here's to a great match!

seafoid

Quote from: ross matt on July 16, 2010, 02:49:01 PM
Knowing the set up in Sligo as well as I do I'm sad to say there are no "Sligonian" style attitudes within the panel or management. Arrogance or complacency simply wont be a factor with them. This is a highly efficient and businesslike Sligo side. The only negative for them is possibly fear of failure due to the high expectations/favourites tag etc may cause them to freeze a little. That and maybe the high intensity of their recent matches may have taken its toll in terms of mental tiredness/injury so they may be a little flat.

I'm hoping Fergie will motivate Ross to throw off the shackles and play with a bit of abandon. Young and raw they may be but they've lads with minor and u-21 medals who've faced down and beaten the like of Mayo, Galway, Meath and Kerry during their recent underage career. So there has to be some underlying self belief. If the few older head like Karol Mannion, Casey and Heneghan have a big game we're in with a chance.

However the only way Ross will win is if everything goes right for them on the day and a significant number things go wrong for Sligo. The media coverage has been disgracefully sparse for what is a novel Connacht Final pairing. Here's to a great match!

Everyone will be expecting Sligo to win so Ros have nothing to lose. Up Ros.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on July 16, 2010, 02:06:16 PM
Sligo have something like 6 Connacht titles.

They've only 3   1927(or 28) , 1975 and 2007.
Matt sums it up perfectly ...things must go right for us ans wrong for Sligo.
As for the media ...sure it's only Connaht ...you can't expect tem Dublin crowd to be bothered with the  likes of us.  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Haven't ros got 19? time to shove a bit of weight around ros. WTF are these 3 timers coming in and expecting to win?