Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 07, 2011, 09:45:56 PM
Anyway partition is a reality - I don't deny that, but I also don't think that just because it is a reality, nothing can be done to hasten it's end and that we should just forget about it in the meantime. To hasten it's end, people north and south who claim to aspire to Irish Unity should drop partitionist mindsets, attitudes and language. It is the partitionist mindset which I described as a disease. And a disease is what it is.

You are very definitive in all you say there.  Would it be reasonable to append the whole lot with "in my view".

For example, over my lifetime I have learnt not to give a fiddler's fart about patriotism.  I have a little bit tucked away for Irish sporting teams (but even that would vastly outweighed by my feelings if Clare hurlers ever return to winning ways....).  My life view is that people need to create a fair society in terms of how we live our lives.  If all other rights are assured to people in any particular state on this island then I can live with that because all state/country lines are arbitrary anyhow.  To my mind there are still issues with Northern Ireland context in terms of treatment and rights of it's citizens.  However, I am firmly convinced that due to accepted framework (GFA) they are more likely to be addressed in a "partitionist" context than an All-Ireland.  Accepting that reality bounds my views.

My beef with most strains of republicanism (and very particularly the barstool kind so comment in the "Free State") is that somehow does not make me an Irish man with contrary views but actually a flawed person and probably a blueshirt, west brit, self loather etc. etc..  To top it all off, I find out today that I am diseased too.

/Jim.

Minder

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 07, 2011, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 07, 2011, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: Go home ref on April 07, 2011, 10:13:15 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 07, 2011, 10:01:29 PM
Amazing reactions to a gesture of reconciliation, given the week that's in it.

A true gesture of reconciliation would be for her to apologise for her army murdering Aidan Mc Anespie and the many other GAA members the British Army murdered over the years . I wonder will

Cooney&Co even explain to her why the Hogan Stand is called the Hogan Stand?

When are the lads in Sinn Féin going to apologise?

For the death of Michael Hogan? Never.

Did the IRA apologise to all it's victims' families? Yes.

Has Britain done so? No.

Did they lie and lie and lie and then apologise when there was no other option? The disappeared being an obvious example.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trueblue1234

Quote from: Minder on April 08, 2011, 11:40:27 AM

A true gesture of reconciliation would be for her to apologise for her army murdering Aidan Mc Anespie and the many other GAA members the British Army murdered over the years . I wonder will

Has Britain done so? No.

Did they lie and lie and lie and then apologise when there was no other option? The disappeared being an obvious example.

Yes
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

Has Britain done so? No.

That's pretty much exactly what they did!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Franko on April 08, 2011, 01:09:42 PM

Has Britain done so? No.

No other option? They could continue to lie if they so wished. Nobody knows who was individually responsible for those deaths but do you think that the bodies which are now beginning to be found are being found without the assistance of the IRA? That would be slightly naive. But there's nothing like a bit of whataboutery is there? The IRA at least apologised to all it's victims's families and accepted the hurt it caused. To get it back to the original topic, has the british army yet admitted that it was not just a "peacemaker" or a "referee" and came clean about its involvement in an unknown amount of state murders? Maybe when they do, QU2 might be more welcome.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 08, 2011, 02:19:22 PM

Has Britain done so? No.

No other option? They could continue to lie if they so wished. Nobody knows who was individually responsible for those deaths but do you think that the bodies which are now beginning to be found are being found without the assistance of the IRA? That would be slightly naive. But there's nothing like a bit of whataboutery is there? The IRA at least apologised to all it's victims's families and accepted the hurt it caused. To get it back to the original topic, has the british army yet admitted that it was not just a "peacemaker" or a "referee" and came clean about its involvement in an unknown amount of state murders? Maybe when they do, QU2 might be more welcome.

:D :D :D
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2011, 02:31:14 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 08, 2011, 02:19:22 PM

Has Britain done so? No.

:D :D :D

My original point was that QE2s forces should accept they were a protagonist in the conflict and come clean about their role and apologise. This was in the context of the visit of QE2. The disappeared were not victims of the british army so ignoring my point and bringing up that topic is whataboutery.

P.S. Have you no opinion to offer on the rest of my post which you didn't put into bold writing?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

NAG1

Be great to see the wee kids from the schools rolled out to line the streets for her waving their little Union Jacks, be like the colonial days of yore!

ross matt

Quote from: ONeill on April 07, 2011, 10:12:55 PM
Jaysus, who gives a feck about the Queen of England? What power or interest in anything has she ever exercised?

It'd be better craic if no one turned up to see the oul bag wherever she goes apart from the mad priest in the kilt and Louie Walsh.

A truer word never spoken. Same goes for all Royalty/Monarchs etc.

gallsman

Jesus Christ, the IRA should apparently be commended for it's actions in relation to the disappeared.

f**k me pink, you learn something new every day.

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2011, 05:18:04 PM
Jesus Christ, the IRA should apparently be commended for it's actions in relation to the disappeared.

OK, and the British?? (To get back to the actual topic?)

(p.s. quote where I said they should be commended)

EDIT: You know what, scrap that 'p.s.' bit. You won't find such a quote and your attempts to bluff it off will only add to the thread going off topic)

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 08, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

"But there's nothing like a bit of whataboutery is there?"

Sure isn't.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2011, 06:15:42 PM

Sure isn't.

It's called getting back on topic. The queen of England is the head of the British Armed Forces. They were not responsible for the disappeared. Bringing it up is just a cynical attempt to change the subject. Whataboutery even.

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 08, 2011, 06:21:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2011, 06:15:42 PM

Sure isn't.

It's called getting back on topic. The queen of England is the head of the British Armed Forces. They were not responsible for the disappeared. Bringing it up is just a cynical attempt to change the subject. Whataboutery even.

One man's whataboutery is another man's elephant in the room.

Anyway be telling me how many people Queenie shot or ordered shot?
MWWSI 2017