Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Perhaps by inviting Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, to the Irish Republic, Cowan intends to thank her, her family, and everyone else in her Kingdom and Empire for preventing the Republic from being invaded by the Nazis in 1940?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0628/1224273464332.html
"[Dublin] was identified by the Nazis as one of six regional administrative centres for the British Isles had occupation taken place. Dublin's Gauleiter was to have sweeping executive powers and would have had instructions to dismantle, and if necessary, liquidate, any of Ireland's remaining indigenous political apparatus, her intellectual leadership and any non-Aryan social institutions such as the trade union movement or the GAA, for example. Irish Jews would have been murdered en masse"

During her Itinerary, it would be entirely suitable, for example, to visit the Memorial Garden at Baldonnel Aerodrome and return her hosts thanks, by paying tribute to the many Free State men and women who joined the fight against the Nazis, such as this notable member of "The Few":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Finucane

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

whiskeysteve

Who should Cowan thank first, her or Uncle Eddie?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Evil Genius

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 29, 2010, 02:56:24 PM
Who should Cowan thank first, her or Uncle Eddie?
Seeing as her "Uncle Eddie" is dead, thanking him would be as futile a gesture as, eg, Cowan sending his condolences to the German Embassy in Dublin on the anniversary of Hitler's death... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

whiskeysteve

More futile than thanking 'her, her family' for saving us from Nazi occupation?

You're not suggesting Lizzy stormed up the beaches at Normandy with an M16, Futile Genius?

So cut me some slack for calling up her Nazi Uncle
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Banana Man

What makes me laugh is that she still uses the title 'Defender of the Faith', EG you do realise this title was first awarded by the Pope to Henry VIII??

He kicked up a stink and threw a strop that the other Kings of Europe had titles bestowed by the Pope and in order to earn one and take his place among Europe's 'elite monarchies' led a thinly veiled attack on the early Protestant reformation - the irony beggars belief

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 29, 2010, 02:40:13 PM
Perhaps by inviting Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, to the Irish Republic, Cowan intends to thank her, her family, and everyone else in her Kingdom and Empire for preventing the Republic from being invaded by the Nazis in 1940?

"[Dublin] was identified by the Nazis as one of six regional administrative centres for the British Isles had occupation taken place. Dublin's Gauleiter was to have sweeping executive powers and would have had instructions to dismantle, and if necessary, liquidate, any of Ireland's remaining indigenous political apparatus, her intellectual leadership and any non-Aryan social institutions such as the trade union movement or the GAA, for example. Irish Jews would have been murdered en masse"

During her Itinerary, it would be entirely suitable, for example, to visit the Memorial Garden at Baldonnel Aerodrome and return her hosts thanks, by paying tribute to the many Free State men and women who joined the fight against the Nazis, such as this notable member of "The Few":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Finucane

You're more of a bollix I made out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Evil Genius

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 29, 2010, 03:48:22 PM
More futile than thanking 'her, her family' for saving us from Nazi occupation?

You're not suggesting Lizzy stormed up the beaches at Normandy with an M16, Futile Genius?

So cut me some slack for calling up her Nazi Uncle
My point was that people are saying as that Head of State of an "occupying power" [sic], it is inappropriate to invite her to the Republic.

I was merely making the counterpoint that she was also heir to (her father's)  throne when that same State was instrumental in protecting  the Republic from occupation, as outlined in yesterday's Irish Times article which I quoted (and you ignored).

In both such situations, her role is entirely ceremonial and symbolic.

So I'm not suggesting that she "stormed the beaches at Normandy", any more than that eg she rampaged through the Bogside on Bloody Sunday (or any other of the events which seem to give offence to certain posters). 

Still, it is no surprise that such posters invariably "cherry-pick" their way through (their own version of) History to find the construction which best reflects their own prejudices...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Billys Boots

QuoteStill, it is no surprise that such posters invariably "cherry-pick" their way through (their own version of) History to find the construction which best reflects their own prejudices...

Well said ...  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Evil Genius

Quote from: Banana Man on June 29, 2010, 04:22:39 PM
What makes me laugh is that she still uses the title 'Defender of the Faith', EG you do realise this title was first awarded by the Pope to Henry VIII?
I was well aware of that, thank you very much, just as I am aware eg, that when William of Orange ("of pious, glorious and immortal memory") and his Catholic Dutch Blue Guards etc sent "Seamus a' chaca" running at Aughrim and the Boyne etc, they did so with the express approval of the Pope of the day.

Quote from: Banana Man on June 29, 2010, 04:22:39 PMHe kicked up a stink and threw a strop that the other Kings of Europe had titles bestowed by the Pope and in order to earn one and take his place among Europe's 'elite monarchies' led a thinly veiled attack on the early Protestant reformation - the irony beggars belief
Aye, that's what Popes were like in those days - didn't give a stuff who they honoured, even "The English Nero".

Indeed, some would argue that the present and recent incumbents are not much better... ::)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 29, 2010, 04:32:00 PMYou're more of a bollix I made out.
Well, that's my case clinically and comprehensively dismantled, and no mistake.

And with such grammatical elegance, too... :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

farrandeelin
You're more of a bollix I made out.

Maybe we should bump the bloody sunday thread, eg was quiet that week.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Farrandeelin

Sorry Evil Genius, what I meant to say is that, 'You are more of a bollix than I have made you out to be'. That's my grammatical elegance fixed for you. You can't hide the fact that the queen of England's government tried to exterminate the Irish people during the famine of 1845-1849. I also know she wasn't queen back then, but she wasn't queen when Hitler was in control of Nazi Germany either. As for the recent troubles, imagine if the nationalists had taken a 'let's leave it as it is' approach, bloody hell I think the U.N should have been brought in... but wait, didn't the British government dissuade the U.N.

P.S. You don't start a sentence with 'and'. It looks rather childish. It shows up your lack of grammatical understanding.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lawnseed

i read that a coalition government including SF would withdraw the invitation. could get messy ???
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 29, 2010, 10:31:44 PM

interesting article.

Things would have been really bad under the Nazis. Social conditions would probably have gotten so bad that millions of Irish people would starve to death and millions more would have to leave these shores. The irish would have been reduced to a serf-like existence in their own country.