Dublin v Meath Sunday 27th June

Started by Declan, June 21, 2010, 09:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I'd agree with Hardy, a few things that could have gone the other way and it would have been a much closer finish. Our midfield were very poor where as our much maligned defence were very good particularly in the second half.

People are very excited and quite rightly, its been a long time coming and it was done in great fashion but this was definitely the worst Dublin team we've played since 2001. While I wouldn't want to be underestimating Louth they weren't as good yesterday as they were against Kildare. Should be a good final though, certain novel feeling about it. Reading an interview with Seamus Kenny there, he was very grounded and said rightly that we won nothing and today's match will mean nothing unless we win the next game. Hopefully that's the prevailing attitude in the squad

Eugene McGee reckons we are all-Ireland contenders on the back of that game. We only got 6 points from play and I really don't think  we are going to get that many goal chances again. Dublin looked like they picked a team to play the more defensive style but played in a more orthodox style and got burnt by it. Maybe Gilroy should have stuck to his guns.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on June 28, 2010, 08:13:35 PM
I'd agree with Hardy, a few things that could have gone the other way and it would have been a much closer finish. Our midfield were very poor where as our much maligned defence were very good particularly in the second half.

People are very excited and quite rightly, its been a long time coming and it was done in great fashion but this was definitely the worst Dublin team we've played since 2001. While I wouldn't want to be underestimating Louth they weren't as good yesterday as they were against Kildare. Should be a good final though, certain novel feeling about it. Reading an interview with Seamus Kenny there, he was very grounded and said rightly that we won nothing and today's match will mean nothing unless we win the next game. Hopefully that's the prevailing attitude in the squad

Eugene McGee reckons we are all-Ireland contenders on the back of that game. We only got 6 points from play and I really don't think  we are going to get that many goal chances again. Dublin looked like they picked a team to play the more defensive style but played in a more orthodox style and got burnt by it. Maybe Gilroy should have stuck to his guns.

Geddawayouttadat! You scored 21 points from play. You are screaming red hot favourites for Sam now.
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I think Ross O'Carroll is going to be a serious full-back for Dublin.
He did a couple of very silly things yesterday which I'd put down to inexperience and a rush of blood.
For the Sheridan goal in particular he should never have attacked that ball.
He'll have learned a lot as will the corner backs.
Darren Fay and Mark O'Reilly had Martin O'Connell beside them when they came on the scene.
A full back line full of rookies is going to make mistakes.
They were unlucky in that they were punished every time yesterday.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kerry Mike

At least England only let in 4.......

Well done Meath.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hound

Agree with what most of the Meath lads are saying. A 10 or 15 point victory isnt necessarily a case of a good team, its often a case of things just clicking on the day. The sign of a good team is being able to follow up such a big win with a good solid performance. So Louth should be a perfect test. Very much a winnable game, but play below par and you'll lose.

The really good sign for Meath this season, is the way different forwards are stepping up to the plate on different days. Arguably the 3 best forwards v Laois were outplayed by the other 3 on Sunday.

eastern_gael

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 28, 2010, 03:37:47 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 28, 2010, 11:09:00 AM
I don't know what to make of it, really. It was fantastic to watch the confidence of the forwards in going for their goals every time and the execution was sublime - just brilliant to watch. But I can't escape a negative feeling about the whole thing. We beat a very poor team (with all due respect, but I think the Dublin lads agree) only because we have forwards who can stick the ball in the net the way they did. We were beaten in every other aspect of play until we had finally sapped the will of Dublin towards the end.

The wipeout at midfield, against a pretty poor opposition midfield, was frightening. If it wasn't for Seamus Kenny (my MOTM) doing the work of three half-backs in mopping up breaks I don't want to think about how little ball our forwards would have got. That and Joe, Bray and O'Rourke foraging deep for their own ball. 

What worries me is that Louth is an ambush waiting to happen. It's always hard to keep feet on the ground after a big win and I fear the result will mask the dire performance of the midfield. I can only hope the return of Crawford and the half hour under his belt yesterday will help to fix the problem.

I would agree with all of that and it's the first bit of sense I've heard from a Meathman since this time yesterday. Anyone I was talking to last night were convinced that winning Leinster is a shoe in, far from it IMO. I thought Dublin looked comfortable enough until the goals started flying in and they weren't killing themselves. It could have been a different result if Flynn's effort had gone in. I suppose Ward will never be as poor again from the placed ball though. I got some laugh though when he goaled and gave the best twirling Cantona impression ever seen in Croke Park  :D

It's all set up for Louth, talk will seep down from the supporters to the team and complacency will set in, will it be enough though is the question...

Dunno which meathmen croi was chatting with but obviously were either winding him up or dont know too much! While it was a great win and worth waiting for i for one am not getting carried away with it. The dubs were awful yet still won the midfield battle with ease. Hopefully Crawford will be back to sort that out. Would much prefer playing westmeath in the final as they are always an easy touch and louth always seem up for a battle with meath, much more of a rivalry with the wee county and are never beaten too easily. They too have a decent midfield and some classy forwards but cant see them holding the meath forward line sufficiently. Unfortunately we are getting touted as all ireland contenders by breheny among others so it will depend how well o brien keeps the players grounded over the coming weeks. Although no meath players celebrated excessively a the final whistle which was good to see and all interviews by players and management after the match paid tribute to the dubs and were conducted with modesty. Anyway onwards and upwards we are in the leinster final and sure we will see where we are after that

INDIANA

Quote from: put-it-up on June 28, 2010, 08:35:05 PM
Dublin are in a bad, bad way at the minute. In fairness to Gilroy, it took balls to make the decision to start from scratch but he is looking like a right tool now. Bringing Henry on with ten minutes to go? Did anybody else think that was bizzare.

I think we all agree that the Dublin camp needed a shake-up but I dont think the fact that they had 7 or 8 lads in their first championship season was the problem. The fact was nobody had a clue what they were meant to be at.

You can look to the u21's for hope but only one of them started yesterday and I honestly don't think too many of them are even good enough for senior IC level in the next two years. The Dublin u21 midfield was brutal and I think you would be doing well to get 4 of that team settled into the senior set-up in the next two years.

I would question all the training goin on at 7am and all that jazz. You can train in the gym all you like but I just dont understand why coaches don't grasp the notion that a donkey will never win the grand-national. Yes, you have to be fit and being strong helps but it is also important to possess the fundamental skills to play Gaelic football.

Dublin yesterday were spineless, leaderless, had no shape and had no idea what they were meant to be doing in the second half. At times it was like watching an underage team because they had no shape at all.

Can't believe they have gotten a home draw against Tipp which is going to be played in Croke Park. A trip down the country might have brought them lads back down to earth and realised they have a long road to recovery.

with all respect 4/5 players off an u21 team would be an excellent return in my view. Mots of what you've said is true though.

Howevcer our lads may be leaderless but I doubt they spent 4 days straight on the piss in a boozer in Cavan after being beaten by Fermanagh ;D

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: eastern_gael on June 28, 2010, 10:22:20 PM
Dunno which meathmen croi was chatting with but obviously were either winding him up or dont know too much!

I didn't get their names but I'll be sure to have them for you the next time.

Quote from: eastern_gael on June 28, 2010, 10:22:20 PMWould much prefer playing westmeath in the final as they are always an easy touch and louth always seem up for a battle with meath, much more of a rivalry with the wee county and are never beaten too easily.

Classy guy, you could do with having a look at this post http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16568.msg807188#msg807188

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

eastern_gael

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 29, 2010, 12:08:21 PM
Dunno which meathmen croi was chatting with but obviously were either winding him up or dont know too much!

Quote from: eastern_gael on June 28, 2010, 10:22:20 PMWould much prefer playing westmeath in the final as they are always an easy touch and louth always seem up for a battle with meath, much more of a rivalry with the wee county and are never beaten too easily.

Classy guy, you could do with having a look at this post http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16568.msg807188#msg807188
That i am. You seem to be concerned about how meath are doing rather than your own county, closet fan maybe!!!!!!! Or just envious! One or other i suspect

ricky-bobby

just for the meath fans here.quick question and i dont know if its been brought up before.What is the situation with your intercounty players,all the panel that is,regarding playing for their clubs during the all ireland?
A debate i witnessed after the game between dublin fans was about the dublin players not being allowed to tog out for their club teams.Many a good point was thrown up on the subject.One point was that club games are intense and competitive.And its the intensity and competitiveness that are a couple of the basic traits missing at moment with this dublin team.Isthis common in every county?Because to me a tough league game is of more benefit to a player than a v b training matches.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: eastern_gael on June 29, 2010, 12:53:28 PM

That i am. You seem to be concerned about how meath are doing rather than your own county, closet fan maybe!!!!!!! Or just envious! One or other i suspect

Or I happened to be at the game & was just throwing in my two bobs worth. I hope you were half as smart during the Junior Cert, mind your arse now when u head back to the hoganstand...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

eastern_gael

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 29, 2010, 01:59:04 PM
Quote from: eastern_gael on June 29, 2010, 12:53:28 PM

Or I happened to be at the game & was just throwing in my two bobs worth. I hope you were half as smart during the Junior Cert, mind your arse now when u head back to the hoganstand...
Now there is an original reply.Best of luck against Derry by the by. I am fairly confident yee can turn em over in cusack park. Seems to be plenty of infighting as always this time of year within the Derry camp ( to my mind both Derry and Donegal should try and form the one team might get 15 dedicated players outa the pair of em Donederry pehaps) Never know a few more games get dessie that bit of match practise and get flanagan back fully fit (who knows what would have happened if he was in from the start v Louth) We may even meet at some stage this year

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ricky-bobby on June 29, 2010, 01:06:08 PM
just for the meath fans here.quick question and i dont know if its been brought up before.What is the situation with your intercounty players,all the panel that is,regarding playing for their clubs during the all ireland?
A debate i witnessed after the game between dublin fans was about the dublin players not being allowed to tog out for their club teams.Many a good point was thrown up on the subject.One point was that club games are intense and competitive.And its the intensity and competitiveness that are a couple of the basic traits missing at moment with this dublin team.Isthis common in every county?Because to me a tough league game is of more benefit to a player than a v b training matches.
during the All Ireland intercounty championship you mean?
You used to only see the players the odd training session and for championship matches, rarely played the league games. Not sure if that has changed.
Intensity in meath football used to be savage with or without the intercounty panelists ! Rough as feck in over 50% of matches.

ricky-bobby

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 29, 2010, 03:25:23 PM
during the All Ireland intercounty championship you mean?
You used to only see the players the odd training session and for championship matches, rarely played the league games. Not sure if that has changed.
Intensity in meath football used to be savage with or without the intercounty panelists ! Rough as feck in over 50% of matches.
[/quote]
yeah i meant intercounty all ireland.some teams have a 2-3 week break between games,and there are usually club games thrown in,but no intercounty players tog,maybe i'm old school,but league games in dublin used to be packed,even during national leagues and the all ireland,because you had the likes of,curran,redmond,stynes,barr,going hell for leather and not being wrapped in cotton wool,playing for their clubs.its no suprise thats when dublin last reached all irelands year in year out,ok they only got one at the time,but they were contesting all ireland finals.