USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: mackers on June 29, 2010, 10:22:33 AM

I presume you're on the wind up.........the most impressive thing about Monaghan this year is the move away from the Rambo tactics that have blighted their performances over the last number of years.  Dunno whether it's all down to Grimley or not but it's a hell of a coincidence that they are playing with a lot more discipline and a lot more offensively since he has come in.
Monaghan will give Tyrone a hell of a game, the only doubt that I have is that they haven't been in a close match and the two stuffings that they have handed out so far will be of no benefit to them on the 18th of July.

That's easy when your up against nothing. Monaghan will need a different approach when up against Tyrone.

talktothehand

it's great to see the monaghan people so confident! every game tyrone have played this year the media (irish news, bbc sport) have been dying to write the obituary for this team. hasn't turned out like that has it? it won't in clones either. we are still one of the 3 best teams in this country. monaghan aren't.  nice to see a neutral venue though ;)

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: talktothehand on June 29, 2010, 11:49:46 AM
it's great to see the monaghan people so confident! every game tyrone have played this year the media (irish news, bbc sport) have been dying to write the obituary for this team. hasn't turned out like that has it? it won't in clones either. we are still one of the 3 best teams in this country. monaghan aren't.  nice to see a neutral venue though ;)

Where would you like it played given the fact Clones has the biggest seated capacity, Croke Park?? And, it's not *much* of a disadvantage for Tyrone given their frequency their over the past decade.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Zapatista on June 29, 2010, 11:43:02 AM

I presume you're on the wind up.........the most impressive thing about Monaghan this year is the move away from the Rambo tactics that have blighted their performances over the last number of years.  Dunno whether it's all down to Grimley or not but it's a hell of a coincidence that they are playing with a lot more discipline and a lot more offensively since he has come in.
Monaghan will give Tyrone a hell of a game, the only doubt that I have is that they haven't been in a close match and the two stuffings that they have handed out so far will be of no benefit to them on the 18th of July.

That's easy when your up against nothing. Monaghan will need a different approach when up against Tyrone.

Please elaborate?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 29, 2010, 12:28:36 AM
Unlike O'Neill and a few other Tyroneites on here I am a firm believer of positive mental attitude at all times
However, I just don't see where Monaghan are getting their optimism from.

Yeah sure they've beat Armagh & Derry a few times in the last few years & they held Kerry close in 2007 but like c'mon who are they kidding. Its all about winning the big matches. Getting over the finish line and not just having  moral victory.
Not since the days of Nudie Hughes has a Monaghan team looked like winning an Ulster.

At least wee James said at the end of the Down game that Tyrone were just toying with us in the second half. I think adding Grimley to the Monaghan backroom team has helped add more steel to a very skillful, silky outfit that too often enough depended on playing too nicey nicey football rather than getting stuck in and out muscling their opponents the way the Kerrys, Corks & Tyrone have been doing of late

I'm sure I will have egg on my face come 5pm on Sunday 18th July but for the life of me I just can't see where they will outscore this Tyrone team.
It could be a good game to get a few of the young lads a run out like Coney if Peter & Plunkett are away that weekend.

I disagree. They beat a fancied Armagh team who were 4 points up in the first 15mins with Stevie McDonnell scroing freely of either foot. The heads could have dropped though and the script fired out the windy but they didn't capitulate and stuck to the plan. There's no substitute for winning and being in a winning way definitely accounts for a lot. They are playing a open, supportive and fast counter-atacking type of football this year so I disagree how any of the above qualities will be of no benefit to them come July 18th.

Schkite

Quote from: talktothehand on June 29, 2010, 11:49:46 AM

Is it wrong that we fancy our chances? Would ye rather if we had no belief and simply gave up on the day? God forbid we feel like we have a chance, given how badly the team want this and they're playing well. We may not have been in a proper tight game yet but I'm sure we will be ready for the battle on the day. Of course Tyrone are a better team, and are still one of the top three, I don't see anyone from Monaghan disagreeing with this so I don't see why the Tyronies are making light of us. Tyrone have the players and the experience, and will rightly be strong favourites to win back-to-back Ulster titles. However I still think we can cause an upset, why would I bother going if I didn't?

Main Street

Quote from: Zapatista on June 29, 2010, 11:43:02 AM

What was defective about the approach to the 2 games already played that would not work against the mightyTyrone?

imtommygunn

Reading this thread you would think there's no point monaghan turning up!

Monaghan demolished an armagh team who to be honest would be much better than that of down. You could really argue that neither have been challenged so not sure anyone will be more prepared than the other.

I do think antrim exposed a few tyrone half backs and they've learnt from it but you could argue stevie exposed a few monaghan defenders and they've learnt from that. All even in that regard.

mackers

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 29, 2010, 12:06:56 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 29, 2010, 12:28:36 AM
Unlike O'Neill and a few other Tyroneites on here I am a firm believer of positive mental attitude at all times
However, I just don't see where Monaghan are getting their optimism from.

Yeah sure they've beat Armagh & Derry a few times in the last few years & they held Kerry close in 2007 but like c'mon who are they kidding. Its all about winning the big matches. Getting over the finish line and not just having  moral victory.
Not since the days of Nudie Hughes has a Monaghan team looked like winning an Ulster.

At least wee James said at the end of the Down game that Tyrone were just toying with us in the second half. I think adding Grimley to the Monaghan backroom team has helped add more steel to a very skillful, silky outfit that too often enough depended on playing too nicey nicey football rather than getting stuck in and out muscling their opponents the way the Kerrys, Corks & Tyrone have been doing of late

I'm sure I will have egg on my face come 5pm on Sunday 18th July but for the life of me I just can't see where they will outscore this Tyrone team.
It could be a good game to get a few of the young lads a run out like Coney if Peter & Plunkett are away that weekend.

I disagree. They beat a fancied Armagh team who were 4 points up in the first 15mins with Stevie McDonnell scroing freely of either foot. The heads could have dropped though and the script fired out the windy but they didn't capitulate and stuck to the plan. There's no substitute for winning and being in a winning way definitely accounts for a lot. They are playing a open, supportive and fast counter-atacking type of football this year so I disagree how any of the above qualities will be of no benefit to them come July 18th.

Very true. The management and players identified the problems and corrected them very quickly. I'm not saying playing the type of football that Monaghan are playing will be of no benefit, in fact it's exactly the type of football to play against Tyrone, my point was that Monaghan would have been better served by having a tight game somewhere along the line.

The arrogance of some of the Tyrone posters is simply staggering...............

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Zapatista

Quote from: Main Street on June 29, 2010, 12:11:39 PM
What was defective about the approach to the 2 games already played that would not work against the mightyTyrone?

I'm not saying it's defective just that it won't be good enough. It will take Tyrone about 10 mins to suck the life out of any disiplined offence.

And what Schkite says -

QuoteOf course Tyrone are a better team, and are still one of the top three

QuoteTyrone have the players and the experience, and will rightly be strong favourites to win back-to-back Ulster titles

The funny thing is that Monaghan think they will be dictating the type of game they play. That won't be happening. Tyrone will be setting the pace and Monaghan will be responing to that. It's exactly what Tyrone did to Antrim and what Down attempted on Tyrone before Tyrone took the bull by the horns and basically bullied Down about the place. Either way Tyrone win.

Main Street

Fortunately for their shareholders, Paddy Power has more of a rational overview.

Schkite

Quote from: Zapatista on June 29, 2010, 12:21:41 PM

I'm not saying it's defective just that it won't be good enough. It will take Tyrone about 10 mins to suck the life out of any disiplined offence.

And what Schkite says -

QuoteTyrone have the players and the experience, and will rightly be strong favourites to win back-to-back Ulster titles

The funny thing is that Monaghan think they will be dictating the type of game they play. That won't be happening. Tyrone will be setting the pace and Monaghan will be responing to that. It's exactly what Tyrone did to Antrim and what Down attempted on Tyrone before Tyrone took the bull by the horns and basically bullied Down about the place. Either way Tyrone win.

Who claimed this? Regardless of the result, I don't think Tyrone will be bullying Monaghan around the place. I'm amazed at the amount of Tyrone people who expect the team to just have to turn up. Being confident of your team and expecting them to win is fine, but most of ye seem to believe Tyrone will win pulling up, barely having to try. I've a notion it'll be a slightly tighter game than that. I can only hope Mickey Harte and the Tyrone team are as cocky but I doubt it.

Main Street

Unlike some of the Tyronies here, I doubt that Mickey Harte would indulge in the folly construction of a trojan horse for the benefit of Monaghan to use.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Zapatista on June 29, 2010, 12:21:41 PM

And what Schkite says -

And in the event of this not happening? It's a dangerous enough game to play... Monaghan are not Antrim or Down so it's a tenuous link you make above.

Have you considered a 'shoot out' or is is the negative strangling tactic the only one on your radar?

The arrogance is un-fathomable here, to the point where I'm wondering is it a wind-up! This chat of second gear/third gear etc. disrespectful to say the least!

Main Street

With all the talk on only needing 2nd and 3rd gear,
could it be that 4th gear looks like this?