Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

This Mayogaablog guy should be more gracious in defeat http://audioboo.fm/boos/145604-longford-1-12-mayo-0-14-audio-report-gaa-mayogaa can he not just say Mayo were beaten by the better team on the day & once again league mean's nothing when it come's to the Championship

Best of luck in the Next round Longford who know's where this win will bring you
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Maigheo Abu

FFS don't call any other county shite. Longford lads slogged it out in the cold of winter just like our lads. If you have an axe to grind, grind it at home. Well done Longford. Enjoy.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

Maigheo Abu

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2010, 11:43:11 PM
This Mayogaablog guy should be more gracious in defeat http://audioboo.fm/boos/145604-longford-1-12-mayo-0-14-audio-report-gaa-mayogaa can he not just say Mayo were beaten by the better team on the day & once again league mean's nothing when it come's to the Championship

Best of luck in the Next round Longford who know's where this win will bring you

Maigheo Abu

In all fairness to WJ he's like the backbone of the Mayo supporters, his audio boo just reflected the low point that all of us are feeling this evening. I'm sure if you read his report tomorrow it will relect Longfords superiorety. He's not a man given to me fein ism.

mjg

I knew ye couldnt have any luck for humiliating us last year :'(

North Longford

Was working this evening and couldn't go but believe it or not this result got a cheer from a small group of Leitrim men just after a league game had finished in the middle of county Leitrim. Disgusted I wasn't there but had a good feeling about this game,must have been drinking the same water as you Billy. Just console myself by keep say they'd have been bet if I was there. Now should I go to the next game or not??

FL/MAYO

Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 26, 2010, 11:08:22 PM
Quote from: MadMayo on June 26, 2010, 10:49:35 PM
It's a sad day for Mayo football when we are beaten by a shite team like Longford.
Todays result is proof that all is not well in the Mayo camp.
Well done Longford.

Probably the worst "compliment" ever paid on here.

Just spoke aul Boy, who went, he wasn't even surprised, just disappointed , again.

FL/MAYO- dont give up on O'Shea. he was by superb against us in the first minor final in 08, and will be a great. He
minded me of mc Hale, who I used to watch/admire when attending many Mayo games as a kid.

Its another big win for an unfancied county in a game they would never previously have had a chance to play. Back door isn't all bad......

AFR, O'Shea had a bad year this year probably due to to much football and the expectations that have been put on his shoulders by the county. I have seen quotes on here stating that he is "the past, present and future of Mayo football" sure in how many other county would they put such expectations on young shoulders. I am sure he can turn it around next year like yourself I believe he has a ton of potential.

RedandGreenSniper

Depression city.

Well done Longford.

Best team by a long way.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Not long after waking up here in Sydney, the cat was up on the bed giving me the death stare, shouldn't have been surprised when I turned on the phone to check the result.

The cat's still staring at me and the wife's still crowing about the rugby result.

I'm off to do a Mayo on the golf course this afternoon, well done to all the Longfod lads on here, Billy was telling us all week what was going to happen.

Farrandeelin

Longford were the better hungrier team. I'm tired of everything now and I'll go to bed and write up a bit of a report in the morning... >:(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cosmo Kramer

Right then, time for a 4am drunken rant!

The fact that O'Mahony has resigned shouldn't spare him from what needs to be said about himself and his 4 year tenure. I haven't seen a more disorganised, clueless rabble of a football team than the Mayo team I have watched in the last three games. A team full of players that clearly have the natural ability to go a long way undermined by a manager who either knows nothing or couldn't care less about Mayo football relative to his own political ambitions.

I mean, that really was a piss poor Longford team. No offence intended lads, but it was. The amount of ball they stupidly and needlessly kicked away was incredible. And they still won the game. Mayo, on the other hand, clearly had the players but had absolutely no set up whatsoever to make things happen. Dillon, Freeman, SOS, all really natural footballers. You basically had 15 very talented players fcuked out on the pitch to see what could happen with no game plan, no strategy and no idea what to do if things weren't working out.

O'Mahony is living in the dark ages in terms of tactics. The game has changed since 2001. A straight 15 against 15 doesn't work anymore, you have to get men behind the ball when you don't have it. And Mayo have never done that under O'Mahony. So anytime we attack and don't score, we're vulnerable at the back on the counter. He didn't have a clue how to change things today. I mean Billy Joe f**king Padden. Again. Never an inter county player and never will be. No changes at midfield until we had gone behind. It was too late then, Longford filtered back and shut us out. If it was the other way around we wouldn't have been able to do the same thing in a hundred years with O'Mahony in charge, he hadn't a f**king clue.

The only positive I could take from the game was Mr Gearoid O Connamha. Clearly a Galway man with Mayo football at his heart. Fair play to him, he was determined that Longford would win today and did everything within his powers to make it happen. Maybe he wanted his name next to the headline of the day in tomorrow's papers. Or maybe he's a closet Mayo fan and wanted to ensure that we were put out of our misery as soon as possible so we could get rid of the scouge that has blighted our senior team for four years and give us as much time as possible to build for next season. Thanks Gearoid, you've unintentionally done us a massive favour.

As for you 'Johnno', make sure you don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

Congratulations Longford, best of luck from here on in. Shit, its getting bright outside, I should go to bed!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Donnellys Hollow

Well done to Glenn and his Larries!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

criostlinn

Well done to Longford. When the game was there to be won at the end Ye stepped up and got the score.

From a Mayo point of view Ive never seen the team so low and having so little confidence. What has happened this bunch of players over the last 12 months. Every single move of the match had some kind of error in it. Most scores were handed to us by Longford. Basic skills of the game, kicking, handpassing, soloing. Lads couldn't do it. At one stage one of the Mayo players was bursting out of defence, he tried to solo, dropped the ball, got it back and handpassed it to a Longford man. This kind of stuff went on all day. I could go on but their is little point at this stage. The last 12 months has put us back so far. I don't know what manager would want this job after yesterday.

Another point and I don't want this to take anything away from Longford because they can probably pick out many examples from a Longford point of view but I have never seen such an incompetent display of refferring as I did from Georoid O Cuntamha. This man really hasn't got a clue. Its the same shite every time he steps onto a pitch. I don't mind a ref missing something, We are all human and cant get everything but when a ref is blowing for stuff that obviously hasn't happened you have to start to wonder what is his agenda. How can you blow for a pick of the ground when the whole ground can clearly see he put his foot under it. If you think he picked it off the ground but didn't see it you shouldn't be blowing. No wonder Higgins fucked you out of it. And this happened more then once during the game.  Inconsistent interpretation of the rules. I could go on all day about frees he gave or didn't give. Hes not the only ref at this shit of giving a frees because he presumes a foul happened and to be honest its really starting to turn me off going to games

Shamrock Shore

Well, I thought it was a great second half. First was poor from both sides.

Some of the Mayo comments on Longford here are in poor taste. Lads, go and shite. We know what we are and what we aren't. Sure, we gift wrapped at least 3 Mayo points and, sure, some of the passing was aimless but to call any opposition "piss poor" or "shite" is not on in my opinion.

I was surprised at how Longford took control of midfield and times and out full baclk line was heroic. Paddy Dowd had a stormer (lhard to miss with the blond flowing locks) How Mayo missed that goal with 10 or so mins to go I'll never know. It seemed the Gods were on our side. I had a feeling Mayo got reduced to 14 cos of verbals but it must have been some rant to get a straight red. Most know I am no fan of Gerry Kinneavy but I'll admit he did Mayo no favours. I had all but accepted extra time when he blew for what I thought was a foul on a Mayo lad at the very end, but, no. It was the full time whistle.

Joy joy joy. In 40+ years of being a Longford supporter I can recall only 6 or so moments like that. Beating Dubs in Nat Laeage in Croker in 1985, O'Byrne Cup win in 2000, qualifer wins agin Down, Derry and finally league win over Kerry in 2005.

I thought Pearse Park looked great. The mood was sombre until the last 10 mins as tension seemed to sap the energy of the crowd. Coming out I heard a Mayo lad bitterly curse and suggest that a barricade be mounted in Tarmonbarry to stop Mayo team bus crossing back into Connacht!! Which was funny, but sad as well.

On a final note well done to Longford hurlers who are in the Lory Meagher (or Laurel and Hardy) Cup final next Sun in Croker. Now, Longford hurlers in Croke Park in a cup final.....Lonford footballers beat Mayo in Championship, Longford minor footballers in Leinster semi final......

Great times for me, Laurel, Billy, Forfeit, Longfordian, North Longford, Qwerty and last, but never least, Hardy

Barney

I could actually cry this morning - the dream has died again for a very long time, and the whole thing is a shambles.

Well done to Longford - tactically they had a plan, but they had spirit and a hunger for the big win and they put in a 10 minute rush of 1-4 in the second half. It was a quality of football which any team would be proud of. As I said last week a team like Longford looking a big scalp knows once they got a bit of dominance they could push Mayo over the edge.