Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

Dont let them get you down shamrock you get immune to there arrogance in time

blast05

QuoteI had a feeling Mayo got reduced to 14 cos of verbals but it must have been some rant to get a straight red

How the blazes did i miss that ? Who got sent off and when ?

Barney

Blast you must have really been in denial!!

Keith Higgins with about 6/7 minutes to go. Free in the middle of the park given against him for handling ball on the ground. He threw the ball to the ground and said something to the ref who produced a red straight away! Unprecedented in my memory that a player sent off for verbals.

Cosmo Kramer

Higgins went for verbals 5 minutes before the end. The verbals were justified to be honest. I wouldn't be one for blaming refs and there are certainly others far more to blame for this, but O Connamha really was a joke. It says it all when someone as sensible on a pitch as Higgins feels the need to f**k him out of it.

I was going to edit my earlier (drunken) comment to something less controversial like 'limited' or 'hungrier' or 'brave' or some other patronising shite, but i won't for two reasons. Firstly, to suggest that Longford were anything other than poor on the night would be to suggest that Mayo were somehow caught on the hop by a team at their top of their game and were unluckily beaten (which would be a load of crap).

Secondly, I don't understand why the Longford lads feel the need to go looking for faint praise from us. Surely it's better that you get an honest assessment of how your team played from someone at the game. They did not play particularly well and, much as I would like to see them (and genuinely hope they will be) in Croker in August, its as well to be honest and say that big improvement will be needed on last nights performance to achieve that. Maybe you have that improvement in you but if you are happy enough for people to tell you you're great after last night and don't strive to build and improve on your achievement then you're wasting your time.

In other words well done on the win, best of luck the next day, and never mind looking for compliments from other teams supporters, just go out and play your own game.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Louth Exile

Well done to the Larries a super result for them and a big scalp. Who would have thought it after the muck that both us and them played in Portlaoise on the first day out! Well done and we'll see you lot again in the quarter finals   :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 27, 2010, 09:49:54 AM
Some of the Mayo comments on Longford here are in poor taste. Lads, go and shite. We know what we are and what we aren't. Sure, we gift wrapped at least 3 Mayo points and, sure, some of the passing was aimless but to call any opposition "piss poor" or "shite" is not on in my opinion.

Exactly, and I can say that with conviction, having backed up my opinion of which was the piss poor team with hard cash in advance at 9/2. For any Mayo person who watched their last two championship performances and the antics of their management to label any other team "piss poor" is amusing. Especially a team playing at home on a pitch that has been a graveyard for better teams than Mayo 2010.

I love being a Larry. Now if Meath can beat Dublin by 5 points or more today at 11/2 it'll make a grand weekend of it.

Farrandeelin

Here's my own tuppence worth.

Full-back line of Barrett, Cafferkey and Howley early on, did ok when we had the breeze. However, Barrett wasn't his usual defending self and when Longford kicked the ball in high in the 2nd half - Cafferkey was always behind his man.

Half-backs. Vaughan Jesus Christ, I don't know how many attacking runs he made but he certainly didn't want to get back and defend. Not good enough imo. Howley when out on Dowd got a few early blocks but was terrible afterwards I thought. Higgins played very well but unfortunately must have effed that Galway p***k out of it near the end. Coudn't believe he got red. I hate to say it, but McLoughlin didn't make any impact at all and Dowd's shoulder flattened him and he was taken off.

Midfield. Average. Longford won most (if not all) the clean possession when the chips were down. O'Shea was just about better than Harte, who if moysider is correct had an injury going into the game. Why pick an injured player???

Half-forwards. Moran does what he does every year, doesn't score much at all in championship matches when needed and will come out of the blocks flying next Feb/March/April if he's still there. That is giving him a gloss I think. A O'S had a poor game I thought, I don't remember him doing anything much of note. Dillon played his heart out and must be sickened with the whole thing.

Full-forward line. Conor, he either went on a solo or passed to dillon, did O'Mahony instruct him to do this. He scored early on I think but that's about it. Barry Moran played good early on when he got the ball, but bringing him out the middle was a silly foolish move. Freeman played okish I suppose.

However, Longford must have known Mayo's tendancy to solo into silly spaces and Glenn Ryan had them well versed on how to win the ball back from the Mayo forwards. I don't begrudge them a victory. You'd swear to Christ that every bitter twisted Rossie thinks we do judging by Rossfan's and mjg's points on here. In fact the only people I would begrudge seeing in a county jersey again would be our own shambolic outfit. Next year will be 60 years since we won Sam. And it looks like it will be another 60 going by what we are witnessing.

Mayogodhelpus will have some job defending the blueshirt movement in Mayo now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Hardy on June 27, 2010, 10:57:08 AM

For any Mayo person who watched their last two championship performances and the antics of their management to label any other team "piss poor" is amusing.

Believe me Hardy, my opinion of the antics of our management this summer makes piss poor seem like a massive compliment!

INDIANA

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2010, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: Hardy on June 27, 2010, 10:57:08 AM

For any Mayo person who watched their last two championship performances and the antics of their management to label any other team "piss poor" is amusing.

Believe me Hardy, my opinion of the antics of our management this summer makes piss poor seem like a massive compliment!

The management can't execute the basic skills for the players though. I don't think Mayo have a lot of naturally talented footballers at present. Having said that Mayo had no direction from the line this year.
Pearse Park is a very difficukt place to go. In 2005 they should have beaten us there. Against kerry last year- kerry were steeped. Its tight and longford generally play well there.

Unfortunately I watched Louth v Longford on the web a few weeks back. Thought it was the worst game I've ever seen. Yet Louth have beaten Kildare and Longford have beaten Mayo. Lost a few quid last night shall we say. Just shows with championship- any little bit of complacency and you can get caught.

The perceived weaker teams raise themselves against what is termed the big guns.

ballinaman

Not surprised in the slightest of what happened, sure how could ya be given the previous two championship displays. In a twisted way I was nearly hoping for it so that JOM would have to step down. OK, we might not have the most talented bunch of players but the least you expect is a gameplan and a bit of hunger. For a man that was dubbed the messiah of Mayo football (mostly by people from outside Mayo), he has fcucked off now and left a shambles in his wake. I remember the game in salthill in 2007 prior to the election and he had about 10 jeeps with people canvasing for him wearing Mayo jerseys outside the ground. That pissed me off because it was clear to be seen that he took the job as manager to get himself into the Dail. Kevin McStay says Mayo need a genesis type report, jaysus...can the county board even afford the f**king A4 paper to write it on?

Qwerty28

Have that great, satisfied feeling today you get after a sporting victory!!

I know its only first round of qualifiers but a win over any "big" county has to be celebrated!

Hope this can drive the team and county on.....have to look to likes of Westmeath, Wexford etc who in recent years have reached Leinster finals...think thats what team should be trying to aim for. Hope Louth can get result today and have oppertunity of final appearence.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2010, 10:52:44 AMSecondly, I don't understand why the Longford lads feel the need to go looking for faint praise from us.

In other words well done on the win, best of luck the next day, and never mind looking for compliments from other teams supporters, just go out and play your own game.

I don't think any of us are looking for compliments. Not being insulted will do just fine.

We're all too well aware of our limitations. We know we're not Kerry or Tyrone.

That is the difference between us and you. You haven't won a Senior All-Ireland in almost 60 years but you behave as if you were a superpower because you regularly win provincial titles in a province where you're the second largest of five counties.

Having huffed and blown every summer about how great you are, you then fall flat on your arses when faced with serious opposition and whinge about it for the rest of the year. No other county in Ireland - not Cavan, not Roscommon, not even Dublin - have a perception of their own capabilities so totally divorced from reality.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: LaurelEye on June 27, 2010, 01:09:32 PM

Having huffed and blown every summer about how great you are, you then fall flat on your arses when faced with serious opposition and whinge about it for the rest of the year. No other county in Ireland - not Cavan, not Roscommon, not even Dublin - have a perception of their own capabilities so totally divorced from reality.

We're great talkers alright, this board proves that. But I can assure you that the perception of the 'hype' that surrounds the county team is a myth perpetuated outside the county based on goings on 12 to 15 years ago when we sort of semi emerged from the footballing wilderness. The stories you read bear no relation to what its actually been like in the county in the last 10 years, even during the memorable 04 and 06 campaigns. I think you'll find that most Mayo fans both here on this board and elsewhere are realistic enough to understand where we are at, and sadly its not where we'd like to be. But we have seen enough achievement at club, underage and senior level in the last 10 years to know that we are capable of far more than we have shown under O'Mahony. Our capabilities do not stretch to winning AIs at this point in time, but you will not find (m)any serious Mayo posters on here in the last year saying that we are up there with Cork and Kerry in the charge for honours. We're not deluded.

MadMayo

Quote from: LaurelEye on June 27, 2010, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2010, 10:52:44 AMSecondly, I don't understand why the Longford lads feel the need to go looking for faint praise from us.

I don't think any of us are looking for compliments. Not being insulted will do just fine.

We're all too well aware of our limitations. We know we're not Kerry or Tyrone.

That is the difference between us and you. You haven't won a Senior All-Ireland in almost 60 years but you behave as if you were a superpower because you regularly win provincial titles in a province where you're the second largest of five counties.

LaurelEye, now your just talking crap. You can look at this whatever way you like,
IT IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO BE BEATEN BY LONGFORD IN CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL.
End of story.

LaurelEye

Quote from: MadMayo on June 27, 2010, 01:34:31 PM
LaurelEye, now your just talking crap. You can look at this whatever way you like,
IT IS AN EMBARESMENT TO BE BEATEN BY LONGFORD IN CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL.
End of story.

God knows Mayo should be used to EMBARRASSMENT by now.

Best of luck in the Junior Cert, by the way.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.