Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 19, 2010, 12:43:22 AM
Lads

Pm me yere mobiles and I'll text ye the result of the senior match as soon as it ends in Pearse Park. FFS stay in bed and put the phone onto 'gentle nudge' setting so as not to wake the lassie/lad beside, you who may be a total innocent in Mayo affairs.

Which, in the long run, may be a good thing.

Hey, did ye know that until 1572 Longford was considered part of Connaught - until Elizabeth I sold us into Leinster penury.

How many Connaught titles could we have had had yon barren mare not heeded advice! I reckon 10-15.

Bottoms Up!

The 1798 Connacht Republic (Irish Republic) was Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim and Longford (no Galway).

At many stages in history Clare was in Connacht, I think it was a cartography error by the English that caused it to leave Connacht and join Munster.

So it seems there is historical precedent for a Connacht Championship of

Mayo
Galway
Roscommon
Sligo
Leitrim
Longford
Clare
+ New York
+ London
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Dinny Breen

Longford beat Carlow in a challenge in Clane this afternoon won by 2 points I think
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Hey, did ye know that until 1572 Longford was considered part of Connaught - until Elizabeth I sold us into Leinster penury.

How many Connaught titles could we have had had yon barren mare not heeded advice! I reckon 10-15.

Bottoms Up!

What makes you think Longford would win 10-15 Connacht titles when the like's of Sligo & Leitrim have only won 5 between them
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on June 19, 2010, 08:55:59 PM

Bottoms Up!

What makes you think Longford would win 10-15 Connacht titles when the like's of Sligo & Leitrim have only won 5 between them

I thinks he means at the expense of Roscommon, but he forgets the great Roscommon teams of the 1940's & 1970's won many of Roscommons titles.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Barney

Big week ahead lads although the enthusiasm in the West isn't too hectic. A very small crowd (league away standard) I would guess is going to travel from Mayo and there is a lot of convincing to be done.

It's a great match for Longford. A big name county, in their home patch. Their players know that if they go out and hit hard and focus that they will be there or thereabouts and could push our lads to capitulate. That is the sad and frustrating thing for Mayo supporters. You would hope our lads will react. Like a schoolyard bully they may stand up to this minnow but the questions will remain.

When you read the rubbish from Andy Moran last week of the team being complacent against Sligo you just have to wonder where their heads are. To lose on Saturday is unthinkable, but not impossible.

Billys Boots

QuoteTheir players know that if they go out and hit hard and focus that they will be there or thereabouts and could push our lads to capitulate.

I'll say it again, this has all the omens of Down in 2002 and Derry in 2005.   ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Barney

Btw anybody know whether there was an A v B game at the weekend?

Any indications of changes heard by anybody?

Hardy

Quote from: Barney on June 21, 2010, 10:55:38 AM

With all the pessimism in Mayo, they probably called it C v D.

western exile

Lads

Pm me yere mobiles and I'll text ye the result of the senior match as soon as it ends in Pearse Park. FFS stay in bed and put the phone onto 'gentle nudge' setting so as not to wake the lassie/lad beside, you who may be a total innocent in Mayo affairs.

Bottoms Up!
Did Longford not enter the Connacht championship sometime in the 1980's ?

moysider

Quote from: western exile on June 21, 2010, 12:40:49 PM
Lads

Bottoms Up!

No.

muppet

Quote from: western exile on June 21, 2010, 12:40:49 PM
Lads

Bottoms Up!

You might be thinking of the Connacht Minor League.
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

Quote from: Hardy on June 21, 2010, 12:00:47 PM

Good one, even though it is at our expense you have to chuckle.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on June 21, 2010, 12:00:47 PM

It should have been Hex -v- Why?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...