Muineachán v Fear Manach

Started by Maguire01, June 12, 2010, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quigley will hardly start will he? I wouldn't have thought myself he'd be fit for a full game as he's a big lad, and I know Fermanagh people that say the same. No doubt he'd rouse the crowd coming off the bench and could give the team a lift. But yeah, he's shown what he can do in his cameo against Cavan, no doubt there'll be a plan for him should he start or come on.

sammymaguire

I did not really give Fermanagh a shout against a decent Cavan team after the league campaign so I will more than likely call this one wrong too so here goes, I think this will be closer than many on here reckon. Monaghan have a habit of self-destruction in some of the more important games and surely Banty won't be complacent in this one but the players themselves tend to fcuk it up on the pitch itself  :-\ anyways, it'll be tough for either team to overcome Tyrone in the Final as they seem to be warming up nicely for the summer months ahead  :-\  :-\ Monaghan have the players in Finlay, Freeman, Clerkin, McQuaid, that Keeper Hughes!! the hunger, they deserve another crack at Tyrone in the final after they gave Tyrone a healthy lead in 2007 before almost catching them in the end... gonna plump for another unlikely victory for the men in green; 2-09 to 0-14 
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Main Street

We have flopped but I wouldn't say it's a habit of self destruction. At least last year, we did not reach a standard to say that we self destructed.
It's far too early to say where Monaghan are now. We need to prove consistency, do it over 3 games to win Ulster and this is just game nr 2. A lot of Monaghan folk liked what they saw against Armagh. As enjoyable as the 2nd half rout was, it was just a rout of a beaten team. What really pleased me was the first half performance, taking control of the game and where the visible effects of an energetic, disciplined and skillful team could be seen. It would have taken a very good Armagh team to compete in the 2nd half.

I was well pleased with Vinny around the CHB position. This is where he serves the team with great effect.

FermPundit

I approached the Cavan match with hope rather than expectation and I'll do the same again this week. Monaghan will go into the game as clear favourites but as Fermanagh have shown over the last decade we don't fear Monaghan. The current NFL positions don't truly reflect how closely matched these two counties are.

Monaghan are bound to be full of confidence after a convincing victory against Armagh but it'll interesting to see how they are able to deal with the pressure that comes with being favourites. This year's Ulster championship has probably been the most open in years. Tyrone were impressive in the second half yesterday but Down self destructed. There are weaknesses in this Tyrone team, highlighed with Down's dominance in the first 20 minutes, and if Monaghan are to win an Ulster championship they'll have no better chance to do it than this year.

From a Fermanagh perspecive it was pleasing to get a win over Cavan after such a disappointing league campaign. Over the last few weeks we have been able to get some key players back fit and the squad is looking as strong as it has been in quite a while. Many people have said that Malachy O'Rourke won't make any changes to a winning team but surely a sign of a good manager is one who approaches each game differently? I'm not saying he will make changes but just because we defeated Cavan doesn't mean changes shouldn't be considered. Seamus Quigley made a big impact coming off the bench and this is a role he'll continue to fulfill this weekend. Rory Gallagher was disappointing agaisnt Cavan so his place looks vulnerable with Ryan Keenan or Ciaran Flaherty being possible replacements. The defence was ok the last day but Cavan's shooting was very wayward. If Peter Sherry and Shane Goan can prove their fitness this week then both will come into contention. Ryan McCluskey did a decent job on Seanie Johnston so he'll probably be given the job of looking after Paul Finaly or Tommy Freeman. I would rather he played at centre half back but this is something Malachy will have to think about during the week.

So an Ulster championship semi final to look forward to and thankfully it is on a Sunday afternoon rather than Saturday evening. I'll wait until the end of the week before I make any match predictions but it should be pretty close.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

GrandMasterFlash

As Main says, we need to prove consistency. We managed to do that in 2007 by beating fancied Down and Derry teams en route to the final. I don't think the Monaghan lads/mgmt will or should be looking at this year any different. The encouraging thinig about the Armagh game was the first half, not the second. Monaghan were 4/5 pts down with Stevie McDonnell shooting on site with both pegs and torturing Dessie Mone. It didn't look good. It was a bit like Down against Tyrone in the first 20 mins on Sat evening. Monaghan didn't panic, got to grips with midfield and breaking ball and our forwards started to get on the ball. This was the turning point in the game, Freemans goal I suppose. Monaghan controlled the game from there on apart from a worrying 15/20 mins in the second half where Armagh were on top but didn't make it count.

So, what I'm trying to say is that if you look back now it seems like Monaghan waltzed through Armagh and it was effortless. Time glosses over the cracks and it is easy to look at games like that with a big pair of rose tinted galsses on! Anyone who watched the game will know that this was not the case. Monaghan have plenty of homework and hopeuflly they'll have it done for next Sunday as excuses such as 'the dog ate it' or 'I spilt red lemonade on it and had to throw it in the bin' will not be tolerated! Forget about the second half. Ten minutes into the second half Monaghan had tacked on another 4 points and put the game beyond Armaghs reach and the rest was a rout. It happens to teams the odd time but should not be dwelt on. I don't think the Monaghan mgmt will dwell on that and I think the players are experienced enough now to realise this also.

Monaghan seemed focused this year, there's a hunger to win and competition for places, all postive attribbutes. They'll not under estimate Fermangh, they probably did in 2008 and got their just rewards..

Fermangh will be very tough opponents and will not lie down, of that I've no doubt. They'll make it very awkward for Monaghan and they've a forward unit with a mixture of size and speed that will cause problems to any defence.

I'm gonna nail my colours to the mast here and say Monaghan by 2...

Main Street

The game will only be covered live on tv by BBCNI.
I suppose that makes it all the more, a cosy local affair.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on June 21, 2010, 01:47:05 PM

Ayh, sure RTE aren't even showing the Dub v Meath game live and are showing the Louth v Westmeath game. That god damend oul World Cup..  ;)

timmyot501

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 21, 2010, 02:02:30 PM

Ayh, sure RTE aren't even showing the Dub v Meath game live and are showing the Louth v Westmeath game. That god damend oul World Cup..  ;)

I don't think RTE can show a match at the same time as TV3 and TV3 seem to have the rights to all Dublins games in Leinster.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: timmyot501 on June 21, 2010, 02:18:24 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 21, 2010, 02:02:30 PM

Aha, didn't know that.. Every day's a school day..

I don't think RTE can show a match at the same time as TV3 and TV3 seem to have the rights to all Dublins games in Leinster.

FermGael

What about the goal keeping situation in Monaghan??
Will it be Hughes again??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

GrandMasterFlash

FERMANAGH v MONAGHAN
Fermanagh have never won the Ulster championship while Monaghan won the
last of their 13 Ulster titles in 1988. Question is - who can keep their ambitions
alive in 2010?

The sides last clashed in the Ulster GAA Football Championship in 2008 when
Fermanagh won a quarter-final tie by 2-8 to 0-10 in a game where Ciaran

McElroy and Liam McBarron were the goal scorers. Fermanagh have a good
record against Monaghan in recent times, winning four of their last five Ulster
GAA Football Championship clashes. The winners will play Tyrone in the final
on July 18.

Last Five Championship Clashes
2008: Fermanagh 2-8 Monaghan 0-10 (Ulster quarter-final)
2002: Fermanagh 4-13 Monaghan 2-11 (Ulster quarter-final)
2001: Monaghan 2-10 Fermanagh 0-14 (Ulster quarter-final)
2000: Fermanagh 3-12 Monaghan 1-10 (Ulster preliminary round)
1999: Fermanagh 2-12 Monaghan 1-10 (Ulster preliminary round)

Story so far...
Monaghan turned in one of the best displays of the championship beating
Armagh by 1-18 to 0-9 in the quarter final while Fermanagh knocked out
Cavan on a 1-13 to 0-13 scoreline.

Taken from: http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=130883

Main Street

What is the word on Dessie Mone after he was subbed early in the game against Armagh?
Is he just not playing well or still recovering from an injury?
Probably not likely to start against Fermanagh?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2010, 01:37:15 PM
What is the word on Dessie Mone after he was subbed early in the game against Armagh?
Is he just not playing well or still recovering from an injury?
Probably not likely to start against Fermanagh?

He hasn't been playing well this year IMHO. He didn't feature in the early rounds of the NFL due to injury but he doens't appear to have regained his form. McDonnell tortured him until he was switched with JP. He gave McDonnell far too much space and seemed to be 'zone marking' rather than 'man marking!'. I'd say he will start but I thought McArdle done well when introduced and always seems to steady the ship. I'd start McArdle but I reckon Banty'll start Dessie..

Young Greenan would have been a shoe in IMO had he been fit. I rate him highly and could/should be the man-marker for the future..

Alot depends where Darren Hughes lines out I suppose.

timmyot501

Banty has a few to choose between in the defence ahead of Sunday. Dessie's spot has been pushed all the way by McArdle and also Hughes if he isn't need between the posts.  I would expect walsh, JP, McQuaid, Damien and Corey all to hold onto their spots after the armagh game.
Lennon and Clerkin will remain at midfield.
Jap, Tommy & Conor will all retain their spots so I presume the choice is any 3 from Jinxy, Hanratty, Woods and Kieran Hughes with Hugh McElroy also fighting for an unlikely starting spot.  There is also the option of moving Corey to the forwards but after his performance against Armagh I'd be keeping him at no. 6