Muineachán v Fear Manach

Started by Maguire01, June 12, 2010, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

the stiff breeze played a big part in this game as it disappeared in the 2nd half but still monaghan were a good 6-7 points better than a poor fermanagh defence
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

FermGael

Bolllix Sammy.  The breeze had nothing to do with it.
Fermanagh got completely destroyed at midfield and won very little breaking ball.
Our Defence(with the exception of Bogey) were taken to the cleaners. But then again the ball that came in was good with very little pressure applied.
The tactic of dropping Little in as a sweeper backfired.  Meant Damien Freeman was free and able to pick of passes and a score or 2.
Fair play to Monaghan.  Then were superb.  Grimley certainly has brought them on in leaps and bounds.
McManus was excellent.  Tommy Freeman was well contained today and Monaghan still destroyed us.
Still think that Hughes will cost youse a goal or two before the championship is over. 

I predict we will get Cavan in the backdoor.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

haranguerer

Jesus...expected us to be at least competitive. Everything that could go wrong did, and when Mal turned to the line, it was the young lads who werent up to it in the league who were coming on to try to turn it round - never gonna happen. Needed clucker at chb to gain control of the ball when coming out of defence, also needed him marking each of the m'han fwds too tho...

For M'han - McManus delivered, it has taken pressure of Tommy, and Woods is a great option, as well as the lad who came on and took two (I think?) great scores. Eoin Lennon and particularly Clerkin (when did they become scoring mf'ers??) are playing the stuff of their lives,  damien freeman playing excellent too, the whole team exceptionally fit and strong and versed now in a running and support game, which is effective and good to watch.

My pre-match reasoning was that Monaghan in terms of personnel are the same team that Fermanagh have always been well fit for, and I attributed the hammering of armagh as much to armaghs poorness as monaghans improvement. That m'han team today though is a different m'han team from any I've seen, incl those which beat derry and put it up to kerry etc - they look like the real deal. Good honest bunch too (stiill dirty f**kers, but noones perfect), and I think it'd be great to see banty lead them on to an Ulster title and perhaps more...

GrandMasterFlash

Great performance by Monaghan today, totally dominated in all areas and are flying fit. It was a bug banana skin to delighted they didn't slip up..

Just watched the Sunday Game and noticed no MOTM announcement/presentation, even though there was for the Louth/Westmeath game, what't the story there lads??

tyroneboi

They only give out MOTM awards in the live games they show. W'Meath-Louth was live on RTE, Monaghan-Fermanagh wasn't.

Schkite

Main Street

Quote from: haranguerer on June 27, 2010, 07:16:15 PM
My pre-match reasoning was that Monaghan in terms of personnel are the same team that Fermanagh have always been well fit for, and I attributed the hammering of armagh as much to armaghs poorness as monaghans improvement. That m'han team today though is a different m'han team from any I've seen, incl those which beat derry and put it up to kerry etc - they look like the real deal. Good honest bunch too (stiill dirty f**kers, but noones perfect), and I think it'd be great to see banty lead them on to an Ulster title and perhaps more...
Before a team performs poorly they get beaten first, then the hammering comes after they have been beaten.
Stuff like that gets ignored when the focus was just on the Armagh team's dismal performance after they were beaten and not on the performance of Monaghan in the first 40 minutes of play. We tried to tell you that in this thread in the nicest possible way without sounding uncharacteristically arrogant  ;)

It was a game of one half today. Few questions were asked and the performance did not have to reach the levels gained against Armagh. There was a sloppiness evident, even in the first half, that would not  go unpunished against the likes of Tyrone.
But probably after 4 weeks the arthritis will have set in again to those old Tyrone joints.
The players can rightly take great satisfaction with the performance but  I'd imagine the management team will be somewhat ruthless over the next 3 weeks because Fermanagh did not make Monaghan pay enough for their lax play and the way the game was closed out. Against Armagh, we took a rest in the 2nd half but were always in control and stepped into overdrive when it was needed.

I'd also guess that Shane Duffy will be back fully fit and ready to resume goalkeeping duties.

QuoteGood honest bunch too (stiill dirty f**kers, but noones perfect)
:o
Dessie is much misunderstood, he really only has eyes for the ball.

haranguerer

I'd say he probably has a finger up Quigleys hole there  :D

sammymaguire

Quote from: FermGael on June 27, 2010, 06:50:35 PM
Bolllix Sammy.  The breeze had nothing to do with it.
Fermanagh got completely destroyed at midfield and won very little breaking ball.
Our Defence(with the exception of Bogey) were taken to the cleaners. But then again the ball that came in was good with very little pressure applied.
The tactic of dropping Little in as a sweeper backfired.  Meant Damien Freeman was free and able to pick of passes and a score or 2.
Fair play to Monaghan.  Then were superb.  Grimley certainly has brought them on in leaps and bounds.
McManus was excellent.  Tommy Freeman was well contained today and Monaghan still destroyed us.
Still think that Hughes will cost youse a goal or two before the championship is over. 

I predict we will get Cavan in the backdoor.

I didn't say we'd have beaten them FG as they were much better in all parts of the field and fully deserved the win, they'll be quietly confident of taking Tyrone I'm sure and will have learned alot from 2007 but I still don't think Fermanagh would have been 11 down at half-time, maybe 5-6 if the wind wasn't as strong... doesn't matter a fcuk now anyway, Armagh will beat them easily enough unless O'Rourke can perform some kind of miracle.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Maguire01

Good honest bunch too (stiill dirty f**kers, but noones perfect)
The worst thing I saw was McGrath's high tackle. (And I don't doubt that had Walshe lay down on the ground for a while, McGrath would have been shown the line - but good to see him hop back up.)

Didn't think there was anything particularly dirty in the game.

Anyway, great result from Monaghan. Took the foot off the gas near the end, but it didn't matter at that stage. I don't think that would have happened if they had been defending a slim margin.

GrandMasterFlash

Good honest bunch too (stiill dirty f**kers, but noones perfect), and I think it'd be great to see banty lead them on to an Ulster title and perhaps more...

Monaghan yellow cards: D Freeman, S Gollogly, P Finlay.
Fermanagh yellow cards: S Long, M McGrath, R McCluskey, N Bogue, D Ward, S Quigley.

That's 2:1 by my arithmetic..

Thanks for the vote of confidence though!  ;)