Baile Átha Cliath v Loch Garman LSFC 13/06/2010

Started by Dinny Breen, June 08, 2010, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I agree with one of the pundits on RTE when he said that Gilroy was the epitomy of coolness yesterday and did not panic and stuck to his plan.  Other managers would have gone in at half time and screamed the dressing room walls down but he never even raised his voice.  Like the bad apples from Laois (Hardys post on the Laois thread) the ones who were booing did not represent the true Dub supporter and think that a new game plan just takes off like clock work.  If Dubs had beaten Wexford by being on top as much as Wexford were in the first half I would be less worried about them.  They learned a lot about themselves yesterday and they got it right in the end and anyone who would write them off would want to be off their rocker.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Main Street

Kilkenny would have beaten the Dubs in the first half.
Dublin look like they are resorting to a retro crude physical game, a sure sign of desperation when you have to try and batter a team like Wexford around the park. Wexford were no great team either, literally a team bandaged into some shape, with plenty of running repairs needed during the game.
Better from the Dubs in the second half - a mixture of factors, (the biggest factor) Wexford ran out of gas early, a fitter Dublin played some football and were playing at home.
I don't mind a hard Dublin team winning, but for 50 minutes that was a truly awful display with an even more ugly physical element.

Bud Wiser

Wasn't it grand to see four county teams playing in Croke Park on the same day with managers all from their own counties!!  Wonder when that will happen again before all the Travelling Mesiahs on the big wages arrive. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 14, 2010, 11:43:52 AM
They learned a lot about themselves yesterday and they got it right in the end and anyone who would write them off would want to be off their rocker.

Pull the other one Bud - Laois & Meath will be killing themselves next Saturday to get the right to hammer Dublin in two weeks

Denn Forever

I would imagine that all those people who seemed to be leaving were infact going to the back to get some shelter from the rain.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Canalman

Maybe PG has stumbled on his best team. Brogan, Cullen (I can't believe I am saying that ) and McAuley to start next game. PG should be saying novenas that O'Sullivan is not too badly injured.

Said last week that 3 lads on team were not intercounty standard and 2 of them (plus one I gave benefit of doubt to) were sidelined at some stage of game. The other was amazingly left on.

Our midfield are absolutely atrocious. Our tackling technique (bar the FB line) was infantile.

Genuinely feel for Wexford................. they imo blew it yesterday and am glad they got a break in the qualifiers.

Canalman

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 14, 2010, 12:01:36 PM
I would imagine that all those people who seemed to be leaving were infact going to the back to get some shelter from the rain.
[/qu
ote]

Agree with you there. Seems to me(watching on TV) to have been fans with kids escaping the downpour. Unfortunately those with lazy stereotypes of Dubs have latched on it.

cornafean

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 14, 2010, 11:49:18 AM
Wasn't it grand to see four county teams playing in Croke Park on the same day with managers all from their own counties!!  Wonder when that will happen again before all the Travelling Mesiahs on the big wages arrive.

Hii Bud,

I don't know how to break this  ;) but Jason Ryan is from Waterford.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Bud Wiser

Feck.     So thats what happened?   No pride in the second half.  Players saying, he is not even from our county and him telling us what to do.   

Still, must go down as one of my biggest blunders   :D

Bud Wiser

Quote from: heffo on June 14, 2010, 12:00:35 PM
They learned a lot about themselves yesterday and they got it right in the end and anyone who would write them off would want to be off their rocker.

Pull the other one Bud - Laois & Meath will be killing themselves next Saturday to get the right to hammer Dublin in two weeks

Just had one of your players in the house here an hour ago and he was grinning from ear to ear about the whole thing.  Reckons by the time ye get around to Kerry Galvin will be serving a five year ban and Sam is in the bag.  I'd say your delighted to see your favourite player, Clancy,  back.

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 14, 2010, 12:45:35 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 14, 2010, 12:00:35 PM

Just had one of your players in the house here an hour ago and he was grinning from ear to ear about the whole thing.  Reckons by the time ye get around to Kerry Galvin will be serving a five year ban and Sam is in the bag.  I'd say your delighted to see your favourite player, Clancy,  back.

There must be something in the water over your way Bud - the only way we'lll be facing Kerry this year is if we go for a post-season trip to Killarney and the Dubs bump into the Kerry panel.

Ah I never really disliked Clancy - apart from that unfortunate interview in 2006

highorlow

QuoteAnyone else catch Hayes comments about Gilroy after full time, a breath of coolness that was willing to stick with the young lads, then who comes out for the extra time, the auld boys! Had forgotten about that, or could have already mentioned it, doing exams atm so head a bit fried!

Noticed that alright, he was probably trying to justify and back up his own genius article from Sundays paper (extract below).

Brady at one stage said that he predicted before the game that Dublin would win the match after extra time... did he really predict that?

QuoteWhat about the Dublin manager? More precisely, will he be remembered many years from now, when Dublin possibly win their first All-Ireland title in roughly two decades, as the man who finally drew a line on the past and, with the gusto and bravery of a Las Vegas-style veteran, bet the blue shirt on his back on the county's next generation of footballers.

Lose today, lose again by the end of July (which is quite probable), and lose again prior to an All-Ireland quarter-final next year (good chance of that happening as well), and Gilroy will be dismissed and quickly forgotten.

That, of course, will be unfair. But that's life. Everyone who has even half a heart in the right place for the Dublin football team is absolutely delighted that Gilroy, aided and encouraged by Mickey Whelan most of all, has announced that five Leinster titles in succession, but without ultimate success, must end and must end now. Dublin will not win six Leinster titles in-a-row. In making this a near certainty with his team selection this week, Gilroy has 100 per cent support from the GAA community in his own county.

That's where the good news ends, however, because every last man and every last woman in Dublin has been saying for years that there are no other footballers in the place. There may be over one million people, give or take, living in Dublin, but outside of the 25 or 26 lads who have played for and served Dublin fairly consistently for the last decade, most people have not seen many other inter-county footballers. When was the last time you heard anyone shouting or crying in Dublin about some young lad not getting his chance in that magnificent blue jersey?

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

Think people are being pretty harsh on the Dubs.
I think that game will bring them on a lot.
Would the fans rather they strolled through Leinster and got destroyed in the quarters again?
Gilroy is building a new team.
It doesn't happen overnight.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Dublin are impossible to read at the moment (maybe that's what Gilroy is intending). They will never win an AI with Bastick in the team or McConnell in midfield. Alan Brogan not starting is a joke and although O'Gara did well the man they should be playing up beside Bernard in a 2 man ff line is Paddy Andrews (who has already been dropped and recalled onto the panel by Gilroy). When is Davoren back??? David Henry center half forward is another joke as well, put him in wing back for Bastick and it's a very decent first seven. I only saw the highlights of the Laois Eastmeath game but if Dublin play like that again against the winners of the replay, they will be out the gate at halftime.

You have to feel sorry for Wexford and Jason Ryan, only a half fit Mattie and they put their hearts and souls into the game only to come up short at the end. Redmond Barry was the outstanding player on the park for me, himself and Declan O'Sullivan are the best playmakers in the game. You knew once it reached extra time and the Dubs were back to 15 that they would push on and courtesy of a post they did, great finish by Brogan. Plenty of potential there for Wexford, if they can hets their heads right they could go on a run in the back door...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hill16 Blues

Watching Dublin for last 30 years and have never seen a worse half of football. Last two years Vs Kerry & Tyrone was bad enough but explainable to some extent by quality of football played by both teams and a bit of bad luck on Dublin's side re chance not taken. Yesterday for 50 mins was pure dreadful and hugely disappointing at lack of basic skills.

Howver on upside - we won!! Full back line looks decent, Brogans & Keaney came good, McAuley & O'Gara came on and made a difference and thankfully we didn't panic. Am big fan of McAuley.

As for the Hill yesterday - Dub supporters didn't leave. Went underneath for shelter. Rain was dreadful. Halftime boos were unfortunate but maybe it was kick up the backside that Gilroy and the players needed. Not sure they would have payed but much attention to it anyway.

Lot of changes required for next day. Happy to see the back of Bastick. He is a liability and always has been. Think Gilroy is really caught between a rock and hard place withe defensive strategy. It hasn't really worked in any of the games we've played in NFL or yesterday. Either needs to be binned or altered drastically to allow us attack effectively when we have the ball and defend from the front the way we did in the 2nd half and the way Kerry, Cork and lots of other counties seem to be able to do without the whole thing falling apart.