Baile Átha Cliath v Loch Garman LSFC 13/06/2010

Started by Dinny Breen, June 08, 2010, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

No thread?

a lot of apathy around Dublin towards the Dubs this year, a lot of people taking the wait and see approach, expect a poor crowd at HQ by Dublin standards.

Any idea of what the Dublin team will be?
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 08, 2010, 10:58:17 AM
No thread?

a lot of apathy around Dublin towards the Dubs this year, a lot of people taking the wait and see approach, expect a poor crowd at HQ by Dublin standards.

Any idea of what the Dublin team will be?
A lot of parallels to the Mayo situation I think. Especially the manager playing down expectations as much as possible. "Be careful what you wish for" springs to mind!

I haven't a notion how good Wexford are. Just checked the league tables and I see they came 3rd in Division 3, level with Sligo and 2 points ahead of Louth.

Dublin team:

Keeper: There was some talk that Savage might displace Cluxton, but that seems to have died down now, so expecting to see Clucko retained.

FB line: O'Carroll a certainty for full back. The corner back slots between McMahon, Conlon, Fitzsimons, with the other O'Carroll an outside shot (generally reckoned to be the best of them but has been injured on and off all season).

HB line: Cahill and Cian O'Sullivan would be certainities, but they are both injury doubts. If they don't make it the line will be Kevin Nolan, Ger Brennan, Denis Bastick.

Midfield: O'Connell and Fennell. A mediocre league campaign for both, but the management team seem to put a lot of trust in them. Darren Magee might have been a contender, but he's carrying an injury.

HF line: Henry a cert. Flynn would be too but is another injury doubt, as are McAuley and Hubbard. Corkery is likely to start. Bonner will be in the reckoning. Cullen (also struggling with injury) and Brendan McMenamon could be other options.

FF line: Bernard a cert. Likely that Keaney and Kevin McMenamon will be there too. Alan Brogan an injury doubt, likely to feature from the bench. Mossy Quinn might push Kevin Mc for the 15 jersey.

Not a team to strike fear into Wexford, though I still reckon a 5 to 8 point win is on the cards. 

INDIANA

Can't take anything for granted after the weekend. Dublin have a lot of injuries but half of them wouldn't be selected anyway. So i suppose in some respects the injuries have been convienient because the outcry would have been unbelievable when the selection would have been released.
Alan Brogan is injured - probably wasn't going to be picked anyway. Barry Cahill is out and Cian O Sullivan is out. Paul Flynn is out. Micheal Mc auley is carrying a leg too. Bryan Cullen is injured but wouldn't have been picked anyway and Darren magee is out of the frame. Cluxton being dropped is beyond the realms either but probably unlikely now.

cluxton, conlon/fitzsimons, o carroll, mc mahon, bastic, brennan, nolan, fennell, mc connell, henry,keaney, connolly/corkery, mc menamon, brogan and quinn is the likely selection. There are 3 debutantes for certain. Still trying to ascertain who the 3rd is.

Team is along the lines above. As said earlier can't take anything for granted after the weekend. If we had Meath on Sunday they would beat us. I don't know much about Wexfords form but they knocked the shite out of Sligo in the league so that should be enough warning.I'd take dublin to win by 3 points.

If Dublin do win I only hope sense prevails in the selection for the Leinster semi-final. We can't afford to have lads like Alan Brogan and Paddy Andrews on the bench. Not if we are serious about moving forward. Hopefully Cahill and O Sullivan will be available as well.

No-one fears playing Dublin anymore. For me that has been the saddest aspect of our demise in recent years. You say the lack of respect Sligo had for Mayo on Saturday night. Leinster teams have that now for us and why wouldn't they after recent years. If we could bottle the spirit of our minors this year we'd be laughing.

In some ways the low key build up is good.

Jinxy

Why would Leinster teams have no respect for Dublin?
That makes absolutley no sense!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

I think Indiana just means the sense of fear isn't what it should be because of Dublins abject failure in the All-Ireland series, how can one respect that kind of failure?
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

But they regularly hockey everyone else in Leinster.  ???
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mackers

Today's Irish News gives Martin Higgins from Fermanagh as the referee for this game. He's a shockingly poor referee, Joe Brolly is correct, the box tickers are getting the big tickets this year. He doesn't have an ounce of common sense.............
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

boro

Hard to know where Wexford are at. On paper we should have a good team out, but deep down i think a lot of us are still traumatised after the 2008 Leinster final and last years disastrous showing. The lads had a good enough league run this year, just missing out on promotion due to scoring difference despite missing a rake of fellas through injury. Sligo and Louth suggested last week that the standard in division 3 mightn't have been as bad as feared.

The good news is that most of the injured lads are back, including matty who is flying by all accounts. Wexford will play an extra defender this time to try and close down the wide open spaces of Croker and hope that the likes of ciarain lyng, red barry and Matty can do the business at the other end. It looks like this is a Dublin team in transition and this might be our biggest asset. Hopefully it will take another game or two before they find their feet.

Can't wait for Sunday's game now. Just hope we manage to keep it tight for the first half and then who knows? Will be heading more in hope than in confidence, but you never know maybe this will the summer of the underdog. Fingers crossed anyway

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 08, 2010, 12:37:04 PM
I think Indiana just means the sense of fear isn't what it should be because of Dublins abject failure in the All-Ireland series, how can one respect that kind of failure?

Exactly what I mean. But the team in the early to mid 90's used to beat teams before a ball was thrown in simply because other teams especially in Leinster didn't think they could beat them. Far cry from that now.
The low key build up is nice to be honest. Fed up with all the fawning shite bullshit artists like Colm Keyes regularly dish up on Dublin at the commencement of the championship.
I think this will be tight enough on Sunday. Which would be no harm to be honest. Can't take anyone for granted anymore especially after last weekend.

But i would be concerned if end up playing Meath in the semi.

Main Street

Glad to hear Matty Ford is flying fit and will be playing, if I was around I'd go just to see him play.

I see the Dubs are 1/10. I know the Dubs are hot favourites but those kind of odds look insulting.

Zapatista

Help me out here. Traditioanlly, did the Dubs not play the bank holiday weekend? I have memories the Dubs always playing the Bank Holiday weekend but now I'm doubting myself.

Was chatting a few Dubs recently and when I mentioned it it seemed to trigger the same memories for them. I remember thinking it odd that they didn't play the bhw last year. Then on Sat I seen WestLife playing in Croke Park. Have the Dubs been shunted into second priority in Croke Park by West Life and the like or am I wrong about the whole thing?

INDIANA

Quote from: Zapatista on June 08, 2010, 02:57:21 PM
Help me out here. Traditioanlly, did the Dubs not play the bank holiday weekend? I have memories the Dubs always playing the Bank Holiday weekend but now I'm doubting myself.

Was chatting a few Dubs recently and when I mentioned it it seemed to trigger the same memories for them. I remember thinking it odd that they didn't play the bhw last year. Then on Sat I seen WestLife playing in Croke Park. Have the Dubs been shunted into second priority in Croke Park by West Life and the like or am I wrong about the whole thing?

We did we played Laois on Sunday in Nowlan Park ;D

Zapatista

heffo

Quote from: Zapatista on June 08, 2010, 02:57:21 PM

It's been a few years AFAIR since we played on the June bank holiday

thejuice

Did Mattie Forde not rule himself out of this game? Certain I read it recently. Would be great if he does play though.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016