Galway v Sligo - Connact SFC semi final 27th June

Started by galwayman, June 07, 2010, 08:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 03, 2010, 10:48:46 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 03, 2010, 10:25:58 PM
mayogodhelpus@gmail.com  if you read my posts you would have seen "1947" instead of searching wikipedia for the answer

& the reason why i posted the 1980 final is because it was our biggest final win from what i remember, now tell me why you posted them mayo wins v us?

BTW the Connacht Senior final is a repeat of the under 21 final this year, Roscommon 1-5 Sligo 0-4 revenge for them i guess  :-\

You where not answering the question asked, instead you made an unrelated (bitch about Mayo AGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN) comment. How was your biggest win ever relevant to the question asked. My response was relevant to your daft answer.

Mayo not even in the Final and you still can't stop thinking of us. Is Roscommon that insecure?

Read laddie... relevant is a word i would use for you posting mayo wins over us what's wrong the defeat to longford still making you insecure?

now why would i waste my time to bitch about Mayo?

P.S this is a Galway v Sligo thread stop destroying a thread AGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

First of all credit to both sides for producing such an entertaining game of football in terrible weather conditions. It was extremely physical but there was some excellent scores and even more impressively some fine fielding despite the wet ball.

Secondly heartiest congrats to Sligo. They definitely were the best side over both matches (even though Galway did improve today). Apart from their overall determination at the death they showed confidence to go for the jugular.

Kevin Walsh got it right on the line today. His switches and substitiutions all had a telling effect. They will be rightfully favourites versus Ross in the Connacht final. Perhaps tiredness/injury or slight complacency may be a factor against them but I cant see them winning by less than 5 points and look capabable of making the last 4.

Galway have disimproved under Kiernan and that is no disrespect to Sligo. Padraig Joyce once again was their best player for their 3rd championship match in a row. But they still look like a side lacking in teamwork. Poor in midfield (bar 2 fine catches from Coleman) and cleaned out in the full back line by Marren and Kelly. Cant see morale improving for the Wexford match. 50/50 outcome. In fairness though Meehan & Nicky are two savage losses.

fearbrags

We enojoyed these Connacht Finals 

1921 Mayo 1-04 Roscommon 0-01
1916 Mayo 1-05 Roscommon 0-03
1915 Mayo 3-01 Roscommon 1-03
1906 Mayo 2-13 Roscommon 0-05
1903 Mayo 3-06 Roscommon 0-01

wow  you must be very old to have enjoyed those

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: fearbrags on July 03, 2010, 11:40:08 PM

Look back to where this stupid thing starts, its ross4life not answering a question by another poster, but instead talking about the 1980 Connacht Final for no reason other than to have his daily grudgefest against Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

highking

The Connacht Senior Final will be in McHale Park Castlebar on Sunday 18th July at 4.00 between Sligo and Ross. It will be preceded by the Minor final between Mayo and Galway at 2.00. It was Sligo's call on where the final went to, but they couldnt host it in Sligo, as the ground is too small. Markievicz only holds about 18,000. McHale Park holds about 37,000. There is a crowd of about 25,000+ expected for the finals. Sligo will bring a big crowd as they are going well at the moment, and Ross will look forward to being in a Connacht final, without having to come up against either Mayo or Galway in it. A large Mayo crowd will be present aswel, as the Mayo minors are the only team left to support. It will be a novel final, and hopefully the Mayo CB will get the crowd they are hoping for....

Maigheo Abu

Congratulations to Sligo and the best of luck to Galway in the qualifiers. Great steel by Sligo in the last 10 minutes, no reason they can't go another few steps. Well done to our minors today, keep it up lads.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

galway15

congrats sligo. showed great bottle at the end to kick the last 3 points. overall the better team over the 2 days won. once again galway over reliant on pj. losing meehan and hanley a big blow but thought the management team looked clueless yet again. playing negative football just dosent suit galway. team has gone back a lot since last year. will be very hard to lift it for next week against wexford.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 03, 2010, 11:48:18 PM
Quote from: fearbrags on July 03, 2010, 11:40:08 PM

Look back to where this stupid thing starts, its ross4life not answering a question by another poster, but instead talking about the 1980 Connacht Final for no reason other than to have his daily grudgefest against Mayo.

Jesus lad do you ever give in  ::) I'll say it one more time it was me that posted 1947 first you or anyone else could have read back..

& I have no grudgefest against Mayo now i wish i could say the same about you

For mayogodhelpus only..

Quote from: ross4life on June 09, 2010, 02:58:30 PM
Connacht Championship is long overdue a final without Galway/Mayo for once (1947 Roscommon v Sligo)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mannix

Well done Sligo, hope you stuff roscommon and  a few more.

ludermor

Quote from: ross4life on July 03, 2010, 09:40:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 03, 2010, 09:26:02 PM
1947 Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-08 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&

1914 Roscommon 1-02 Leitrim 0-01

1980    Roscommon 3-13    Mayo 0-08 the one we liked best  ;D
Very petty .

An Fhairche Abu

A great come from behind win for Sligo at the end of the match yesterday and on the basis of the two games played I don't think many people could argue against the view that the better team has advanced to play the Rossies. When Conroy got the point to put us 2 up I thought we had it but the score for Sligo 30 seconds later was the crucial one, putting it back to a one point game so quickly again. The win yesterday was vital for whoever got it as the back door is savage hard this year in terms of no break and playing every week up to the back holiday weekend for those teams that can come through it, I think yesterday will prove to be the defining result for both these teams when the analysis of championship 2010 is done next September.
I fully expect Sligo to now go on and take the Connacht final and they will have a great shot against whoever comes through the back door to meet them, the best of luck to ye Sligo lads in the rest of the championship.

On a slightly sour note from yesterday I think it has to be pointed out that although a great player he may be, O'Hara let himself down badly yesterday by acting the tr**p with Concannon and after the Paul Galvin incident against Cork if there's any consistency by the GAA for video evidence this year he'll rightly get a 4 week ban for his actions.

For Galway now it'll be very hard to lift it for 6 days time against Wexford and the schedule to get to the Q-finals in Croke Park is extremely daunting to say the least (requiring Galway to play 6 weeks on the bounce if they got there) but compared to the craven performance the week before the team gave a decent account of themselves yesterday against a good Sligo outfit, I think that it's highly unlikely that they will make it through the qualifiers as aside from the fact that the team isn't really all that great there is also too many injuries to key players and the personnel to come in are simply not in the same league.

paddypastit

It is indeed a very pleasant morning from a Sligo pov - there have been wins over the years that have been of the 'we'll take them variety' knowing that it was a moment in time thing rather than the real deal. This is the real deal.

I have to say that all through the game I felt that Sligo were playing catch up.  The goal was a great boost (impossible to figure what Bradshaw was thinking about / trying to do but give Kelly great credit foir the way he finished, especially as he probabaly hadn't touched the ball three times in the game up to then) but then Galway scored three points on the trot and I have to say that was a point at which I was worried.  All that said, 15 minutes from the end although Galway were still ahead and I felt deservedly so on the day, all the momentum was with Sligo.

The bench used their resources very well. Marren was a pain for the Galway defence from the off and given the generally physical nature of the exchanges, he will have been in his element.  Although Coen didn't come out with a scoring performance, his pace kept the defence busy and that had a value.  Each of Sweeney and McGee made excellent contributions off the bench and that was what mattered.

As I say I felt during the game that Sligo were playing second fiddle but when you look at the stats as a whole, they had the possession, the chances, the wides and Galway conceded way more frees which would suggest that Sligo had the better of it.  Putting the two games together, Sligo were well worth the winning.

In defence yesterday I thought that no one stood out but thyat they worked better as a team than the previous week, under more pressure. Galway played a lot better  - Joyce, Meehan obviously, Matthew Clancy was a lot sharper and Armstrong was prominent to the point that one wonders might things have been different if he was on the pitch for all of the game last week, although he wasn't playing as well that day.

In the middle of the field, the Sligo duo I thought got the better of oit overall although the dominanace swung. There is still a rawmness to Gilmartin's game that only experienece and games can hone.  Mullen may not have Taylors innate footballing ability but god he covered ground and made himeslf a nuisance. I would be concerned still about the volume of breaking ball that Galway won in spells - particularly in the second half when we needed to close them out in that area.

Up front, Kelly is a marvel.  He was really well shackled but he sytill got 1-2 and popped up to take that ball at the very end that ensured we stayed doen the right end of the pitch at the death.  Costello had a mixed day.  He handled a world of ball but this was one of the days when his quaote of waste was signigficantly greater than his quota of gifted contributions.  He did a lot of good things but I thought he started to get a bit frustrated with himself over the bad bits and it was a good call to take him off when they did.  Brehony was immense.  Totally totally deserved m-o-m even before he kicked that equalising point. He too handles an awful lot of ball and does he ever ever waste one? O'Hara too had a much more effective game than in Salthill although I have to agree with 'An Fhairche Abu' - if the CCC or whatever they call themselves run the tapes, EO'H is likely not to be available to Sligo again this season unless they get to an AI semi final. Don't think the TV3 guys poicked up on it but would not be surprised to see the Suinday Game do so, which will ignite that whole 'trial by TV' controversy again.

All in all though, a great evening for Sligo. Consistent progress now over two nyears and real self belief has to be getting into the system. They face into a Connacht final in a space that no Sligo team ever has before 2/9 on favourites - and that is a danger in itself as Rosc have nothing to lose.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Hardy

Sligo people - is there an accepted way to pronounce the last syllable of "Markievicz"?

I heard three versions on TV3's coverage yesterday:
-vitch
-vix
-vits

I suppose I should be asking Polish people really.

Main Street