Galway v Sligo - Connact SFC semi final 27th June

Started by galwayman, June 07, 2010, 08:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baoithe

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 05, 2010, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 04, 2010, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 04, 2010, 07:54:10 PM
There are many lads in that Sligo team who do more than O'Hara, but never get the coverage he does.
I'd have much more time for true Sligo  greats from the recent past such as Paul Taylor, Paul Durkan, Dessie Sloyane to mention just a few.
Know little of Sligo football, but was Taylor not a bit of a sicknote?  Seems a churlish post.

If you know little of Sligo football, what are you doing trying to call Paul Taylor a ''sicknote''.

Dare i say that he was one of the finest forwards ever to play for Sligo. As for you PaddyPastit, i think i've finally worked out who you are, and if i'm correct, it's little wonder you're defending O'Hara.

Well done to Ross Matt who perfectly sums up O'Hara.
I have long decided to stop contributing to these threads but sometimes there are comments made on here to which it cant be helped but to take the bait.

I'd agree with alot of what Ross Matt says too although I'm not sure it matters whether a fella is a pretty boy or the converse to that (ugly boy??) as long as he can produce the goods on the field. However, Ross_matt's post is largely in accordance what all of the Sligo lads on here have said about Eamonn over the years, including Paddypastit who wasn't comlpetely defending O'Hara above as you say. Although you agree with ross_matts assessment you said above that you always thought O'Hara to be overrated. I cannot see how that correlates with ross_matt's post at all. O'Hara has his faults and is unfuriating at times but he has been one of the best players in the province for years now and the fact is that Roscommon or any other team would be delighted to have the likes of him. I wouldn't swap him and 100% appreciate the massive commitment he has shown to Sligo down through the years.

The fact is that since you've been on this board you've always had a thing against O'Hara. You've reiterated your disdain for him more than once and in particular in one post you mention that he never delivers on the big day? Are you serious? Tyrone and Armagh 2002? The battle between himself and McGrane was legendary and thats not to mention the savage amoutn of work he put in against Tyrone including, surprisingly (somewhat??), scoring a fantastic long range point.

It seems to me there's a bit of the green-eyed monster at work here. Or could it be that he has on occasion made shit of the Roscommon midfield and the much vaunted - at the time -O'Neill?

I dont mind criticism where its justified, but idiotic comments like you've been coming out with on this thread just makes you look like a knuckle-dragging gombeen. Speaking of which I hope to God I dont find myself beside some of these individuals at the final. The last three Roscommon senior games I have left disgusted by the abuse some Roscommon lads have directed at people that were with me and others from Sligo around them. And it was personal abuse at that (a father and son abusing one guy beside me over his weight - incredible stuff). I've never encountered it with any of the other counties in Connacht but the last few senior games against Roscommon have left a bitter taste in the mouth. That being said, at the connacht under 21 final there was none of that so maybe its just the gombeens that come out for the senior games.

mckieran

QuoteI'm sure I'm not the only Galway man who's looking forward to Kevin Walsh's eventual return to Galway.

I dont think it really matters who is in charge of Galway. The talent just isnt there at the moment

paddypastit

Baoite, I know the 'baited' feeling! but 'Hammer, nail, head'... and I just thought it was because I was born to the east and was cooped up in boarding school with Rossies for 5 years!!

P.S. on the 'big game' point, Connacht final 2007 - whose goal turned the game... ??
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Mano

Hoping tantastic doesnt get halled up  before the judges need him to gee up our young lads

Quote from: mjg on July 05, 2010, 04:33:48 PM
Excellent point. Eamon is extremely popular in Ross !

Quote from: Mano on July 05, 2010, 11:44:31 PM
Tell us then why he is so unpopular in Roscommon. Would it have anything to do with a BBC GAA programme a few years ago by any chance?

Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2010, 07:36:30 PM
You referring to the show where he said "The Rossies will be bet and bet well" (previewing the 2003 AI quarterfinal)? Did'nt see it myself but lot of Rossies took exception to it at the time I believe as he appeared to be taking pleasure in the prediction. Personally would have no problem with him calling a match like he saw it. I remember him in the Hyde a few years back hitting David Casey (a good clean footballer) a slap in the stones off the ball right in front of a raging home crowd but the ref missed it. Himself and Shamy O'Neill have had plenty of "battles" but then again Shamy in no angel himself. I just know Eamon wouldnt be popular in Ross but I doubt if that will bother him too much come the Connacht Final.

Here's the real reason why the Rossies are not O'Hara fans

ross matt

Lads lads in the name of God does it matter whether O'Hara is popular in Ross or anywhere else? From what I know of Eamon he would thrive on this type of (un)popularity.

My reference to "pretty boy" is that on appearance (dubios tan etc) one wouldn'nt expect him to be tough but he's one of the toughest customers that ever played the game. Brilliant footballer and instrumental in all of Sligo's big days of the last 10 years.

However their sum is greater than their parts now. Probably the most balanced and organised side in the country at the moment. Harrisson, Davey, Brehony, Kelly, Costelloe etc are equally as important to them as Eamon. Even he's banned for the final they have more than enough talent to win it.

baoithe

Quote from: paddypastit on July 06, 2010, 10:19:07 AM
Baoite, I know the 'baited' feeling! but 'Hammer, nail, head'... and I just thought it was because I was born to the east and was cooped up in boarding school with Rossies for 5 years!!

P.S. on the 'big game' point, Connacht final 2007 - whose goal turned the game... ??

Paddy, didn't you hear? Goals like that are ten-a-penny...

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 07, 2007, 05:08:02 PM
Apart from his goal, he didn't do a lot more in the Connacht Final. His goal has been over hyped, just like he is.
He gathered possession, and soloed clear into open space, before blasting the ball past a helpless goalkeeper from a few yards out.. It's not as if he went on a jinking run, and beat 3 or 4 players like Eoin Mulligan did against Dublin a couple of years ago. Goals like O'Hara's are ten a penny and can be seen in junior club matches all over the country every weekend.

Ross_matt, of course you're correct, it doesn't matter one iota how popular O'Hara but I could resist pulling Shrewdness up on this. And your clarification re the "pretty boy" reference is noted - I should have discerned from your post what you meant.

paddypastit

Shizer, no wonder I could never get a game in junior football - clearly wasn't good enough... shouldn't have wasted all that time on school, colleges and county football. 
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Shrewdness

baoithe, you really need to get yourself a life. To have to go back to threads i posted 3 years ago is very sad. As`regards your ''knuckle dragging gombeen '' comment, it probably takes one to know one.
Your comments about Roscommon people you've sat beside at matches  are  about as stupid as your last few postings .

spectator

Quote from: baoithe on July 06, 2010, 09:33:10 AM
I dont mind criticism where its justified, but idiotic comments like you've been coming out with on this thread just makes you look like a knuckle-dragging gombeen. Speaking of which I hope to God I dont find myself beside some of these individuals at the final.

Will youcome back alive at all at all Baoithe ... Lads headed off to face the Balubas with less trepidation ...  ;D

baoithe

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 07, 2010, 08:43:48 PM
baoithe, you really need to get yourself a life. To have to go back to threads i posted 3 years ago is very sad. As`regards your ''knuckle dragging gombeen '' comment, it probably takes one to know one.
Your comments about Roscommon people you've sat beside at matches  are  about as stupid as your last few postings .

Well there's no comeback to that.

Quote from: spectator on July 07, 2010, 11:30:01 PM
Quote from: baoithe on July 06, 2010, 09:33:10 AM
I dont mind criticism where its justified, but idiotic comments like you've been coming out with on this thread just makes you look like a knuckle-dragging gombeen. Speaking of which I hope to God I dont find myself beside some of these individuals at the final.

Will youcome back alive at all at all Baoithe ... Lads headed off to face the Balubas with less trepidation ...  ;D

The Balubas or the Balloobas?.
Its a fair enough expectation to be able to go to a match - especially a GAA match - and not expect to have members of the opposing team's fans personally abuse those around me. I have no problem with the odd jeer or "in your face" comment but on three separate occasions your kinsfolk have gone way over the top.
I should say I don't tar all rossies with the same brush but you'd be fierce unlucky to have experienced this so many times. Indeed in a tremendous show of magnanimity on my part I am meeting a rossie before the game for a pint!

Now you may belittle my opinion on this as you see fit but I think its utterly disgusting to see two people who were father and son (assumption based on likeness and one called the other "Dad") turn around and tell some guy beside me to "shut the f*ck up you fat b*stard" just because he questioned a referee's decision. And they jeered him for the rest of the match.

Anyway that's my opinion right or wrong and that's just one example of the said behaviour above. I dont intend to spend my working day posting any more on this subject.