Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

joemamas

1. Kearney or Horan (still a little concerned about his experience as a manager, but would row in behind him ahead of the rest)

2. Do not know enough about McGarry as a manager.

Micko pie in the sky, some eejitt in Dublin conceived this idea.

"what do you think Bernard" (Tommy Lyons for those of you not lucky enough to have seen him on the Sunday game) should not be even considered, would love to know who proposed him.

One conspiracy theory worth mentioning, is that Maughan and Tommy Carr (who I think is a genuine enough sort of a fella), are by all accounts close buddies, and it is hard to see them both letting themselves being interviewed, if there was not some prior arrangement that they would "manage" together. County board may buy into this as they probably have figured out the Maughan does not take football advice too kindly, and may require an equal to dispense same.

The reality of the entire issue, that not many seem to be focusing on, is that the county board is up to their arse in debt, and no matter who gets in will have very limited funds to work with. As a result they may not be able to put in place the backroom  team they would want, i.e trainer, physio etc, (after listening to Eoin Kelly's speech thanking the Tipp supporters club, coupled with the influence of club tyrone, it is apparent that to have a successful county team, you need a boatload of financial support), with the amadans at the helm in Ballymagash, it is difficult to see anybody stepping up to the plate to fulfill this function.

Having said all that, expectations are very low, it is time to start afresh, lets give Denis Kearney or Jmaes Horan a shot.

Barney

Western have an interview with Tony McGarry.

Also say that Forde may yet be contacted. How would Peter fit into the picture if he was interested?

It is alarming and simple bad manners that nobody had spoken to McGarry given that he was nominated weeks ago. If somebody like Forde was approached he would not take part in a process and so if they want him the seven could all be ignored and his catapulted in! I don't see him going for it though.

QuoteRethink required urges McGarry
BY MICHAEL GALLAGHER

"Now is the time to address the ills of Mayo football and take a fresh approach." Those were the words of Anthony McGarry when he spoke to the Western People, as the race to fill the vacant Mayo senior manager's job got underway in earnest.

The former Mayo defender was speaking just hours before the county board met in Castlebar last Monday night where the appointment of a new manager was top of the agenda.

"We need change urgently, but it must be change for the right reasons. The focus of this whole process should be on what the various candidates bring to the table in terms of what they will do to change the fortunes of Mayo football. We need a whole rethink and a fresh approach. I'd love to get the job and I guarantee that if I did get it things would change. I would not replicate what others have done."

The Ballina-based gael believes strongly that a new approach must be brought to the preparation of our senior inter-county team. Experience gained from working under seven inter-county bainisteoirs and managing teams in Dublin, Mayo and at colleges level with IT Sligo has convinced McGarry that we need a more intense approach.

"We're not preparing well enough in terms of physicality, endurance and skill. These factors all tie in but physicality is the foundation on which everything is built," he continued.

"I haven't been contacted by anyone in the county board regarding my interest in the job but I hope that candidates will be questioned on how they will tackle what's wrong with Mayo football and what new approach they will bring to the job. If such procedures aren't followed I'll throw my hat at it. The only people to suffer in that situation will be the Mayo supporters and players," concluded the Mayo 0-40s footballer.

Another man hoping to get the opportunity to bring his own brand of change to the Mayo team is James Horan. The former All-Star has made an impressive start to club management with his native Ballintubber where his innovative ideas and new training methods mixed in with a direct style of football are reaping benefits.

"If the opportunity arose I would love to take the job and see what improvements could be achieved which would provide a strong platform to enable Mayo teams to consistently challenge for success," says Horan.

"I believe the overiding theme governing all players is that they must give it everything they've got, all of the time, based on sound footballing principles of honesty and desire," he explained.

The Ballintubber manager is renowned for his knowledge of players both inside and outside the county and has worked at close quarters with current Mayo minor manager, Tony Duffy and U-21 supremo, Ray Dempsey.

"I believe that all players who meet the criteria required to compete at inter-county level should be given a fair shot. I worked for many years with Tony and have been involved in the past also with Ray so I'd have a strong knowledge of the players on the underage conveyor that Mayo are producing. There's a big job of work to be done with the Mayo team and I'd love to be given the opportunity to do it," he concluded.

There are many names associated with the Mayo job but there is little doubt that both Horan and McGarry are serious options and are two men who would certainly call it as it is.

Lyons and Carr enter race

MEANWHILE, all GAA clubs in Mayo were contacted prior to last night's County Board meeting and advised only to send their appointed delegates to McHale Park, as discussion on the Mayo senior team management issue was again set to head the agenda, writes Anthony Hennigan.

It emerged over the weekend that the names of former Dublin managers Tommy Carr and Tommy Lyons (right), had been added to a list of candidates that includes Horan, McGarry, John Maughan, Denis Kearney and Kerry's Mick O'Dwyer.

Depending on the view of delegates last night, there's the possibility all seven men mentioned could be interviewed by a Management Appointment Committee that was due to be installed last night.

There was also speculation ahead of last night's meeting that former Sligo and Galway manager Peter Ford might still be approached concerning his availability for the vacancy.

Mayo GAA Chairman James Waldron was also expected to seek responses from clubs concerning their contributions to the county board's review of the state of football in Mayo.

seafoid

What will we do for speculative threads if Mayo actually appoint a manager ?

Barney

QuoteWhat will we do for speculative threads if Mayo actually appoint a manager ?

Its nearly time to start looking at who we would have on our team for the league!  ;D

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2010, 03:40:58 PM

By all accounts its going to be a long drawn out affair. We will see a caretaker manager appointed for the FBD league final in New York. This caretaker manager will be Tommy Lyons (Ballina)

mannix

peter ford said when he was managing galway that he knew he was on the right side of the border to win things, it stuck in my mind as words that would haunt him.
He won nothing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mannix on September 08, 2010, 05:11:20 PM
peter ford said when he was managing galway that he knew he was on the right side of the border to win things, it stuck in my mind as words that would haunt him.
He won nothing.

Well apart from a Connacht title and an U-21 All-Ireland.

mannix

i stand corrected on that one, but I actually meant to Sam Maguire. Anyway, I was struck by the words he said that day and wondered what would be made of them if the Mayo managers job was presented to him for consideration.
Words spoken after the u21 final I believe.

blast05

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2010, 03:40:58 PM

We'll start a thread on who the next Galway manager should be.
3 cheers for Johno !

blast05

The consensus view seems to be Horan.
As far as i know he works full time in Coca-Cola in Ballina and would have 3 or 4 kids in their early teenage years.
How the blazes would he have the time required ?

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 12:16:12 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 07, 2010, 11:29:01 PM
1. Horan

<distant> 2. Maughan

For what its worth, IMO Horan has the most by far to bring to the table.
I know he wouldnt leave a stone unturned in any aspect of the job. Im not sure who he would have with him, but my guess would be he would be looking at some of the best as regards a backroom team as he demands such high standards.

Resorting back to Maughan would be a step backwards although to his credit he almost got us over the line and is responsible for bringing on football in the county, and indeed the game at national level. But perhaps he has had his time.

That s what bothers me. Not about Horan, mind you. After what the last guy promised as cutting edge and then ..... well I dunno. I m sure Horan s cop is better and he has somebody in mind with the science to do the physical stuff. The thing is in Mayo, the best - well those in mainstream football are basically club lads doin a job. He ll have to look elsewhere because sweat and spit wont do any more. As importantly - and maybe more importantly - he has to know that he is the main man and is the most important voice in these players head s. The flavour of the month guest speakers and sport  psychos can not do the work of the manager/coach. They need short shift.

Im not sure did you fully get my point on that one Moy. Firstly I dont think it would be fair to put JOMs appointments of the likes of Kielty with whoever Horan has in mind however I would guess that Horan would be looking for a strong team and probably demand the best and latest techniques and methods and would be open to learn from professional sports from AFL to rugby. In that respect and every other he would leave no stone unturned to find an edge. I have often said that Maughan had that edge in the mid 90's and was one of the first to introduce new training methods and gym work that gave us that edge in the mid 90's. Unfortunately IMO northern teams first matched and then surpassed us and munster teams were soon to follow and we were left behind. What im trying to get across is that Horan would be looking for such and is ambitious enough to bring things to a new level in Mayo.

Secondly Horan is a strong enough character and personality to be the main man and is a born leader so there would be no question about who the boss would be in anyone's mind.

Also from experience, we had the likes of Joe Kernan for talks as well as Kerian Shannon on several occasions for sports psycho sessions as well as individual sessions and from talking to guys and seeing the difference id be a huge advocate of it.

moysider

Quote from: mannix on September 08, 2010, 06:38:40 PM
i stand corrected on that one, but I actually meant to Sam Maguire. Anyway, I was struck by the words he said that day and wondered what would be made of them if the Mayo managers job was presented to him for consideration.
Words spoken after the u21 final I believe.

If he said that f**k him. He was too anxious to go off managing other counties for my liking. People also would do well to remember that he was with Maughan in the 96-99 years and seems to have gone along willingly with some of the costly decisions that were made.

mannix

he did actually say that. horan would probably have the time since he lives in Mayo. I mean if mick o dwyer was considered and he lives 4 or 5 hours away then a fella 30 odd years younger surely could find time. Mind you the club he is managing may not be so crazy about the development.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 08, 2010, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 12:16:12 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 07, 2010, 11:29:01 PM
1. Horan

<distant> 2. Maughan

For what its worth, IMO Horan has the most by far to bring to the table.
I know he wouldnt leave a stone unturned in any aspect of the job. Im not sure who he would have with him, but my guess would be he would be looking at some of the best as regards a backroom team as he demands such high standards.

Resorting back to Maughan would be a step backwards although to his credit he almost got us over the line and is responsible for bringing on football in the county, and indeed the game at national level. But perhaps he has had his time.

That s what bothers me. Not about Horan, mind you. After what the last guy promised as cutting edge and then ..... well I dunno. I m sure Horan s cop is better and he has somebody in mind with the science to do the physical stuff. The thing is in Mayo, the best - well those in mainstream football are basically club lads doin a job. He ll have to look elsewhere because sweat and spit wont do any more. As importantly - and maybe more importantly - he has to know that he is the main man and is the most important voice in these players head s. The flavour of the month guest speakers and sport  psychos can not do the work of the manager/coach. They need short shift.

Im not sure did you fully get my point on that one Moy. Firstly I dont think it would be fair to put JOMs appointments of the likes of Kielty with whoever Horan has in mind however I would guess that Horan would be looking for a strong team and probably demand the best and latest techniques and methods and would be open to learn from professional sports from AFL to rugby. In that respect and every other he would leave no stone unturned to find an edge. I have often said that Maughan had that edge in the mid 90's and was one of the first to introduce new training methods and gym work that gave us that edge in the mid 90's. Unfortunately IMO northern teams first matched and then surpassed us and munster teams were soon to follow and we were left behind. What im trying to get across is that Horan would be looking for such and is ambitious enough to bring things to a new level in Mayo.

Secondly Horan is a strong enough character and personality to be the main man and is a born leader so there would be no question about who the boss would be in anyone's mind.

Also from experience, we had the likes of Joe Kernan for talks as well as Kerian Shannon on several occasions for sports psycho sessions as well as individual sessions and from talking to guys and seeing the difference id be a huge advocate of it.

I would be very positive about Horan anyway but it is reassuring to hear that kind of stuff from somebody that knows him well. It would be great if the new manager actually gave us a top physical trainer rather than talk about cutting edge and and then present us with a wooden sword.
I don t have a problem with guest speakers and sports psychologists as such. But at the end of the day the players have to perform for the manager. He s the main man for getting into their heads.