Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2010, 03:22:12 PM
If Tommy Lyons gets the job in Mayo (he's a native Mayoean right?) then will 'Arseboxing' re-enter the vernacular? I love that saying.

But what does it mean AZ? I could never figure that out.

AZOffaly

It's when lads bump off one another in one of those tiresome pretend 'rows'. Arses hitting off each other, but nothing serious being thrown.

INDIANA

Deel

He did as well as he could with Dublin

Roscommon got to an all ireland quarter final losing to Kerry which was hardly a disgrace

Cavan players are jokeshop  Kofe Annan couldnt manage them

Im not saying hes the best man for the job

He is a decent manager

It took  two years for Dublin to put the Lyons era behind them

Whether Lyons has learned the relevent lessons from that is hard to say

If you want my advice give it to someone who works on the ground in Mayo these big name managers (outside) rarely if ever work

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2010, 04:43:46 PM
Deel

He did as well as he could with Dublin

Roscommon got to an all ireland quarter final losing to Kerry which was hardly a disgrace

Cavan players are jokeshop  Kofe Annan couldnt manage them

Im not saying hes the best man for the job

He is a decent manager

It took  two years for Dublin to put the Lyons era behind them

Whether Lyons has learned the relevent lessons from that is hard to say

If you want my advice give it to someone who works on the ground in Mayo these big name managers (outside) rarely if ever work

i agree with you there Indiana
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Quote from: highorlow on June 09, 2010, 10:21:30 AM
Is it just me or is our timing always wrong with players coming through and managers to manage them....

i.e. If we had a team in 2010 with a spine of Nallen, Brady, McDonald and K.O'Neill then we would probably have a chance of winning this years AI, particularly based on the standards set so far.

I don't think the AI will take much winning this year and with no disrespect intended one of the following teams will probably win it;

Down
Dublin
Monaghan

with the likely winner the Dubs.

If only Johnno had players to select from today that we had in 96, 97 and 06.

A new manager won't make a bit of difference. We have only 3 or 4 natural footballers in the panel.

just going through the thread and fair play to you high or low you had 2 of the semi finalists picked back in June, doubt many others would have picked Down or Dublin back then
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

Fair play highorlow.

I think these chances will be there in the championship in the next few seasons.

A good manager with the support of the County Board could have us competing consistently at Quarter Final level and from there you just never know.

A "Yes" man or somebody without the burning desire to succeed and who will not push the County Board to the limit will get nowhere and this year will be repeated many times.

Rank the seven in your order of preference:

1. James Horan - why not see who he can bring on board and give him a chance.

2. John Maughan - the safe default position.

3. Micko

4. Tommy Lyons.

5. Denis Kearney.

6. Anthony McGarry.

7. Tommy Carr.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highorlow

1.Horan
2.McGarry
3.Kearney
4.Micko
5.Maughan
6.Lyons
7.Carr

p.s. I did't take the Tyrone posters advice and back either of Down, Dublin or Monaghan for the AI . But I did take the large 11/4 that the Dubs were given against Tyrone anyhow... ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

1.  Micko. The only chance we ll get to see what he can do for us.

2.  Horan.

3 . McGarry.

4.  Kearney.

5.  Maughan.

rosnarun

1.Kearney
2.Maughan
3.Horan
4.McGarry
5.Micko
47.Lyons
133 austin o malley
134. john o mahony
135.Carr
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AbbeySider

1. Horan

<distant> 2. Maughan

For what its worth, IMO Horan has the most by far to bring to the table.
I know he wouldnt leave a stone unturned in any aspect of the job. Im not sure who he would have with him, but my guess would be he would be looking at some of the best as regards a backroom team as he demands such high standards.

Resorting back to Maughan would be a step backwards although to his credit he almost got us over the line and is responsible for bringing on football in the county, and indeed the game at national level. But perhaps he has had his time.

stephenite

1. Horan
2. Kearney

Unless that rumour about McGeeney has any substance we shouldn't entertain anyone else out from those two lads.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: stephenite on September 07, 2010, 11:49:42 PM
1. Horan
2. Kearney

Unless that rumour about McGeeney has any substance we shouldn't entertain anyone else out from those two lads.

:D

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 07, 2010, 11:29:01 PM
1. Horan

<distant> 2. Maughan

For what its worth, IMO Horan has the most by far to bring to the table.
I know he wouldnt leave a stone unturned in any aspect of the job. Im not sure who he would have with him, but my guess would be he would be looking at some of the best as regards a backroom team as he demands such high standards.

Resorting back to Maughan would be a step backwards although to his credit he almost got us over the line and is responsible for bringing on football in the county, and indeed the game at national level. But perhaps he has had his time.

That s what bothers me. Not about Horan, mind you. After what the last guy promised as cutting edge and then ..... well I dunno. I m sure Horan s cop is better and he has somebody in mind with the science to do the physical stuff. The thing is in Mayo, the best - well those in mainstream football are basically club lads doin a job. He ll have to look elsewhere because sweat and spit wont do any more. As importantly - and maybe more importantly - he has to know that he is the main man and is the most important voice in these players head s. The flavour of the month guest speakers and sport  psychos can not do the work of the manager/coach. They need short shift.   

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on September 07, 2010, 11:49:42 PM
1. Horan
2. Kearney

McGeeney not in the mix. It s between those seven only now.