Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

IolarCoisCuain

Now that the McGeeney / O'Neill story has gone public, I feel I can break a confidence and reveal that a second Mayo player is on the verge of a managerial coup that will shake the Cumann Luchleas Gael to its foundations all over the country.

I've been told by reliable sources that Conor Mortimer was in Madrid on his holidays this summer. While in the jacks of a nightclub, slashing away an evening's feed of Miwadi, in comes Jose Mourinho and assumes the position to the left of Conor. He takes wan glance at the Mort's magnificence, gasps, and says "My God! You, not I, really are the Special One!"

The Mort just tipped Jose the wink, to let him know the Mort was being cool with being addressed, but Mourinho hasn't got over it yet. He's been watching Purcell and Stockton on that Peil movie over and over, and now he's got the hang of the Gaelic. The Board are being flown out to Spain tomorrow by Mourinho's private jet to open negotiations. Mourinho has told close friends he will do "anything it takes" to be associated with The Mort, and whatever other bucks are tagging along. Watch this space.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 03, 2010, 04:02:19 PM
Now that the McGeeney / O'Neill story has gone public, I feel I can break a confidence and reveal that a second Mayo player is on the verge of a managerial coup that will shake the Cumann Luchleas Gael to its foundations all over the country.

I've been told by reliable sources that Conor Mortimer was in Madrid on his holidays this summer. While in the jacks of a nightclub, slashing away an evening's feed of Miwadi, in comes Jose Mourinho and assumes the position to the left of Conor. He takes wan glance at the Mort's magnificence, gasps, and says "My God! You, not I, really are the Special One!"

The Mort just tipped Jose the wink, to let him know the Mort was being cool with being addressed, but Mourinho hasn't got over it yet. He's been watching Purcell and Stockton on that Peil movie over and over, and now he's got the hang of the Gaelic. The Board are being flown out to Spain tomorrow by Mourinho's private jet to open negotiations. Mourinho has told close friends he will do "anything it takes" to be associated with The Mort, and whatever other bucks are tagging along. Watch this space.

:D :D :D good man icc
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2010, 12:54:06 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2010, 01:47:45 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
As someone who has alway been anti Maughan since '96 & Chuckiegate, I have to say he's the most appealing, has twice taken us from nowhere to AIFs.
Honestly I'd take that again

I think we in Knockmore have to build a bridge and get over what happened in Maughan's previous tenures. He is the stand out candidate at the minute and we are at an all time low and he seems to be able to get us out of nowhere to AIFs, or damn near it anyway. I would take him to be honest.

f**k Larnaparka anyway. Only jokin Lar. But hold on a minute it s like only Knockmore were pissed off with some of that. That shite fucked us all up and while the Knockmore lads were huge omissions there were others too like Gary Ruane. I know that Knockmore people hate anybody else havin any good to say about Knockmore ( messes about with their siege mentality). But we do. Leavin out those guys didn't just piss off the Knockmores

Bejasus, moysider, you gave me quite a shock! When I read the first sentence here, I though Tubberman had returned to take up his thought police duties once more.
Sadly, it was not to be- I miss him as I used to enjoy his diatribes. Things have gone fierce quiet here of late.
On a slightly more serious note, I realise that Knockmore isn't the only place where Maughan's second return wouldn't bring crowds out onto the street- unless it was to erect barricades!
The good GAA supporters in Foxford and probably a good few others places might have serious misgivings also.
I have no doubt that John Maughan is an honest and highly motivated individual and gives his best wherever he goes. But the problem is that he has gone to a lot of places and controversy followed him wherever he went.
Is there any reason to expect that the proverbial leopard has now changed his proverbial spots?
I think his last spell with Mayo was terminated by common consent of all concerned; manager, CB, players and the general public. All felt that he had brought the team as far as he could go. I would maintain that this was the only time when he stepped down without acrimony from any quarter.
But, having said all that, I can't see Maughan even contemplating taking on the job. I'd agree with you that neither he nor Micko would risk turning up for an interview without getting a cast iron guarantee in advance that the job was theirs and two into one won't go.
My money is still on James Horan but if the Geezer rumour should turn out to be true, I think he might just be the answer to our prayers.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mac2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 03, 2010, 04:59:52 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2010, 12:54:06 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2010, 01:47:45 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
As someone who has alway been anti Maughan since '96 & Chuckiegate, I have to say he's the most appealing, has twice taken us from nowhere to AIFs.
Honestly I'd take that again

I think we in Knockmore have to build a bridge and get over what happened in Maughan's previous tenures. He is the stand out candidate at the minute and we are at an all time low and he seems to be able to get us out of nowhere to AIFs, or damn near it anyway. I would take him to be honest.

f**k Larnaparka anyway. Only jokin Lar. But hold on a minute it s like only Knockmore were pissed off with some of that. That shite fucked us all up and while the Knockmore lads were huge omissions there were others too like Gary Ruane. I know that Knockmore people hate anybody else havin any good to say about Knockmore ( messes about with their siege mentality). But we do. Leavin out those guys didn't just piss off the Knockmores

Bejasus, moysider, you gave me quite a shock! When I read the first sentence here, I though Tubberman had returned to take up his thought police duties once more.
Sadly, it was not to be- I miss him as I used to enjoy his diatribes. Things have gone fierce quiet here of late.
On a slightly more serious note, I realise that Knockmore isn't the only place where Maughan's second return wouldn't bring crowds out onto the street- unless it was to erect barricades!
The good GAA supporters in Foxford and probably a good few others places might have serious misgivings also.
I have no doubt that John Maughan is an honest and highly motivated individual and gives his best wherever he goes. But the problem is that he has gone to a lot of places and controversy followed him wherever he went.
Is there any reason to expect that the proverbial leopard has now changed his proverbial spots?
I think his last spell with Mayo was terminated by common consent of all concerned; manager, CB, players and the general public. All felt that he had brought the team as far as he could go. I would maintain that this was the only time when he stepped down without acrimony from any quarter.But, having said all that, I can't see Maughan even contemplating taking on the job. I'd agree with you that neither he nor Micko would risk turning up for an interview without getting a cast iron guarantee in advance that the job was theirs and two into one won't go.
My money is still on James Horan but if the Geezer rumour should turn out to be true, I think he might just be the answer to our prayers.
Completely the opposite in fact remember his interview after the Kerry game where he said it was up to the powers that be and he didn't look at all happy about it. So much so that he went running to the first team that came his way, there was no consent he would definitely have stayed on. If it really comes down between the two of them why shouldn't Micko have one go instead of Maughan having three although I'm not a big fan of manager merry-go-arounds either.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mac2 on September 03, 2010, 06:44:22 PM

Completely the opposite in fact remember his interview after the Kerry game where he said it was up to the powers that be and he didn't look at all happy about it. So much so that he went running to the first team that came his way, there was no consent he would definitely have stayed on. If it really comes down between the two of them why shouldn't Micko have one go instead of Maughan having three although I'm not a big fan of manager merry-go-arounds either.
Of course you are right. I was just trying to afford him any possible benefit of the doubt. The harsh fact is that Maughan never finished the course in a manner of speaking, wherever he went.
I think he may have finished out his appointed term with Clare but I know but he definitely wasn't implored to stay on by anyone of note.  The sheep shaggists literally hounded him out and many of the Fermanagh panellists were reluctant to continue working with him. I think it's charitable to say that both of his stints with Mayo ended earlier than planned and to leave it at that.
I'm saying he got some expressions of regret and thanks for services rendered etc. etc. when he pulled out of the Mayo job last time around but he certainly wasn't encouraged to stay on by the players, CB or the majority of the supporters. If he was to be given yet another go, I'd wish him the very best but I'd fear the worst. I'd also feel that Micko should get the nod if it comes down to a straight choice between the two of them but the media attention he would attract could be off-putting for the team.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Managing a county team is no picnic and the more success the more the strain. Maughan s first stint with Mayo ended after the AISF defeat to Cork. I don't recall him being hounded out or anything Most would have had some sympathy for his efforts and the feeling was he had done all he could. Looking back his 4 years in charge were as close as we ve come to a golden era.

3 Connacht titles in those 4 years, beating Galway in championship 3 years out of 4. One of those wins was a hoodooo busting win over the AI champions in Tuam.

2 out of the 4 years Mayo played in AI finals.

Maughan won 2 out of his 3 AISFs in those years including a rare win over Kerry in 96 and a bludgeoning defeat of Offaly in 97.

If we compare that to the last 4 years it doesn't look too bad does it? In fact the only thing in recent years that compares with the best days of Maughan 96-99 was M&Ms defeat of Dublin 06.

Unfortunately Maughan will be remembered for the games lost than those he won. He wont complain. That s the way it goes. The 3 AI final matches were all winnable. Galway 98 was winnable. And probably the biggest slip-up of the whole lot - Cork 99 - is the one that is least mentioned.

diehard

I cannot help but remember the fact that Maughan played a midfielder in the 04 final who would hardly make a place at MF on a decent club team.
The result of that game may indeed have been a foregone conclusion - but the hammering we got was greatly assisted by selecting a midfield that was worse than useless while a class player sat warming the bench.
No...........not JM please!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: diehard on September 03, 2010, 11:27:58 PM
I cannot help but remember the fact that Maughan played a midfielder in the 04 final who would hardly make a place at MF on a decent club team.
The result of that game may indeed have been a foregone conclusion - but the hammering we got was greatly assisted by selecting a midfield that was worse than useless while a class player sat warming the bench.

I'm with you Diehard. I think that's the single biggest knock on Maughan, bigger than any of the other accusations against him.

The result of that game was far from written in the stars. Kerry had been handed their hats by Meath in 2001, by Armagh in 2003 and Tyrone by 2004. They were without both Darragh Ó Sé and Séamus Moynihan. Maybe they were the better team but my God, there was no need to cede midfield to a Kerry whose self-doubt cannot have been far from the surface before a whistle was blown.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 03, 2010, 11:55:36 PM
Quote from: diehard on September 03, 2010, 11:27:58 PM

I'm with you Diehard. I think that's the single biggest knock on Maughan, bigger than any of the other accusations against him.

The result of that game was far from written in the stars. Kerry had been handed their hats by Meath in 2001, by Armagh in 2003 and Tyrone by 2004. They were without both Darragh Ó Sé and Séamus Moynihan. Maybe they were the better team but my God, there was no need to cede midfield to a Kerry whose self-doubt cannot have been far from the surface before a whistle was blown.

I was focusing more on his first term. But there is no doubt he made a few howlers that cost us all big time. His judgment did seem to be a bit off at times to say the least which is a shame because he had to be doing a lot right to have us in contention in the first place.

Not that I would be campaigning to have him a third term. To be honest I think his time has come and gone. Even his second term lacked the swagger of the first. A third term would be a bridge too far. I also think the attributes that worked well in term 1 would be of limited value now. In the mid 90 s we had plenty of good players but they were a leaderless rabble who had been stumbling from one crisis to another for years. The scenario is different now. We lack big natural athletes like Colm Mac, McHale, Fallon, Cahill, Brady and Nallen. The lads coming through now are a different breed. The culture has changed and these fellas are coached and play in more structured teams at Minor, U21 and Colleges level. The most important things that the next management bring to the set up is coaching and tactical expertise (if they knows their onions here the selection of the team falls into place) and physical conditioning expertise.

Shrewdness

From the outside looking in, from what i'm reading, it looks like the search for a new Mayo manager is currently at the stage where the Co.Board are talking about setting up a committee whose job will be to set up another committee to oversee the creation of another committee to sift through the various candidates before giving club delegates a say in appointing the new messiah.

Is that oversimplifying the situation or have i got it all wrong ???

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 05, 2010, 07:00:36 PM
From the outside looking in, from what i'm reading, it looks like the search for a new Mayo manager is currently at the stage where the Co.Board are talking about setting up a committee whose job will be to set up another committee to oversee the creation of another committee to sift through the various candidates before giving club delegates a say in appointing the new messiah.

Is that oversimplifying the situation or have i got it all wrong ???

No, you're oversimplifying it.

Its more like:

the search for a new Mayo manager is currently at the stage where the Co.Board are talking about setting up a committee whose job will be to set up another committee to oversee the creation of another committee to sift through the various candidates before pretending to give club delegates a say in appointing the County Board's choice as the new messiah.

Actually that might still be oversimplifying it...

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Barney

So full County Board meeting tonight.

Anybody any the wiser after the weekend?

Word in the pub on Saturday night is that Micko is no longer a runner because of opposition from those in power and supporters. It seems everybody expects that it will be Maughan at this stage.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

when will the final decision be made?  would both work as a team?  at least they are locally based and in my opinion micko was a non runner because he was based too far away.

moysider

Quote from: Barney on September 06, 2010, 10:36:52 AM
So full County Board meeting tonight.

Anybody any the wiser after the weekend?

Word in the pub on Saturday night is that Micko is no longer a runner because of opposition from those in power and supporters. It seems everybody expects that it will be Maughan at this stage.

Looks like some warning shots were fired at the executive regarding Micko alright. However I m not sure the impression that supporters are all against Micko is accurate. I ve come across several who would love to see what he could do.

I know I would prefer Micko for a year or two than Maughan again.