James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 29, 2010, 01:00:05 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 28, 2010, 11:55:04 PM
Winning an AI is priceless.

Personally I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.

A lot of old people think that way (not saying you're old). I would be hopeful of one...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 29, 2010, 12:00:10 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 29, 2010, 01:00:05 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 28, 2010, 11:55:04 PM
Winning an AI is priceless.

Personally I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.

A lot of old people think that way (not saying you're old). I would be hopeful of one...

I would expect between 35 & 60 more years on my clock.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Shrewdness

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on August 28, 2010, 08:31:43 PM
I think it is exciting that some one like Micko would consider managing Mayo. It would certainly bring us to the next level. The man is a proven legend. he has always denied taking extra payments for managing counties sure wasnt he audited by revenue and everything and if them fellas didnt get anything then i am convinced. It will cost mayo nothing more then normal expenses so we should snap him up

If you're excited at the prospect of Micko 'considering' whether to manage Mayo, don't forget he was prepared to manage Wicklow, and what did he really achieve there ::)

rosnarun

Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2010, 08:29:39 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 28, 2010, 07:58:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 28, 2010, 06:39:35 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2010, 07:58:48 PM
Micko has got more of the votes and nearly 25% of the total vote in the Mayo News, seems this board isn't reflective of the feeling in Mayo.

How many of that 25% where logging into the site to check the death notices or when Jedward were back the "the Royal" in Castlebar!

A why is your opinion more valid than theirs?
Of course you need a 5 year plan that would only bring players from u 16 to u21 . What stage u think mayo should plan the  next generation age 20?

5 year plans went uit of fashion with Stalinist Soviet Union and for good reason. They didn't reach their targets. If you want a development programme that is not in place now then go ahead but that will not be the managers concern. His role is to prepare the Senior team not cherrypick from 16/17 yr olds etc who he thinks will be the future seniors. His will be only another opinion on a young player after all , same as all the Jedward fans and auld ones  listening to MidWest. We should have learned at this stage about putting all our faith in Messiahs. Anyway the players are bubbling through nicely from 16-21. It s then we have a problem. That will be the next managers problem - not hiding behind programmes and rebuilding. If we hear the incoming manager use that kind of jargon we will know straight away we are in for more lean times.

bull china the most rapidly growing economy in the world still uses them.
but we need to be really ambitious like these guys

The French railway system makes our poor Amtrak want to hide out in a freight yard somewhere, crying.

Guillaume Pepy, the president of the French railway company SNCF, once explained to me why: To build decent infrastructure, he said, you need to have a 50-, 75-, or 100-year plan.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341109,00.html
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on August 30, 2010, 12:05:18 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2010, 08:29:39 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 28, 2010, 07:58:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 28, 2010, 06:39:35 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2010, 07:58:48 PM
Micko has got more of the votes and nearly 25% of the total vote in the Mayo News, seems this board isn't reflective of the feeling in Mayo.

How many of that 25% where logging into the site to check the death notices or when Jedward were back the "the Royal" in Castlebar!

A why is your opinion more valid than theirs?
Of course you need a 5 year plan that would only bring players from u 16 to u21 . What stage u think mayo should plan the  next generation age 20?

5 year plans went uit of fashion with Stalinist Soviet Union and for good reason. They didn't reach their targets. If you want a development programme that is not in place now then go ahead but that will not be the managers concern. His role is to prepare the Senior team not cherrypick from 16/17 yr olds etc who he thinks will be the future seniors. His will be only another opinion on a young player after all , same as all the Jedward fans and auld ones  listening to MidWest. We should have learned at this stage about putting all our faith in Messiahs. Anyway the players are bubbling through nicely from 16-21. It s then we have a problem. That will be the next managers problem - not hiding behind programmes and rebuilding. If we hear the incoming manager use that kind of jargon we will know straight away we are in for more lean times.

bull china the most rapidly growing economy in the world still uses them.
but we need to be really ambitious like these guys

The French railway system makes our poor Amtrak want to hide out in a freight yard somewhere, crying.

Guillaume Pepy, the president of the French railway company SNCF, once explained to me why: To build decent infrastructure, he said, you need to have a 50-, 75-, or 100-year plan.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341109,00.html

My original point was that long-term (say 5 years) planning is not is not the role of the senior team manager. How could it be when he might not last more than a season or two? The next senior manager will be working with the 20+ players.The lads that are 16/17 will probably the responsibility of the next manager again by the time they are ready to play senior. Over the last 5 years we have seen the emergence of players like the Freemans, O Sés, Campbell, Conroy, Hanley, Higgins, Parsons and a few others too like O Connor and Kirby look like they could be senior soon. They have come through various clubs and county underage squads from U16 to U21. OK put a plan in place but I doubt it would produce better players over the next 5 years. Our problem has been getting these guys to play senior football. The problem has been mainly coaching. Our players still play like minors in their late 20s. It s like they never grow up. We need a manager who get the likes of Parsons to play adult football. Next year.

spuds

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2010, 02:56:55 PM

My original point was that long-term (say 5 years) planning is not is not the role of the senior team manager. How could it be when he might not last more than a season or two? The next senior manager will be working with the 20+ players.The lads that are 16/17 will probably the responsibility of the next manager again by the time they are ready to play senior. Over the last 5 years we have seen the emergence of players like the Freemans, O Sés, Campbell, Conroy, Hanley, Higgins, Parsons and a few others too like O Connor and Kirby look like they could be senior soon. They have come through various clubs and county underage squads from U16 to U21. OK put a plan in place but I doubt it would produce better players over the next 5 years. Our problem has been getting these guys to play senior football. The problem has been mainly coaching. Our players still play like minors in their late 20s. It s like they never grow up. We need a manager who get the likes of Parsons to play adult football. Next year.

that's it in a nutshell
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Barney

Tubberman

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2010, 02:56:55 PM

Spot on. I think there was a bit of a problem with the type of player we were producing at underage up to about 4 or 5 years ago, but we've produced players and teams on a par with the best in the country over the last few years.
But there is a definite issue bringing these players through and moulding them into tough, strong-headed, cute (as in hoor) senior players.

QuoteSo looks like there will be a development in Wicklow tonight that will change the course of the whole Mayo manager story again

[http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/frank-roche/odwyer-set-to-stay-on-with-wicklow-2317250.html

Well that's the best news all day. Hopefully it all comes to pass.  ;D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

That would open up the door for the restoration of Sir John. The word on the street was that the executive was split between the two of them.

JMohan

Quote from: Barney on August 30, 2010, 04:14:19 PM
So looks like there will be a development in Wicklow tonight that will change the course of the whole Mayo manager story again

[http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/frank-roche/odwyer-set-to-stay-on-with-wicklow-2317250.html

Ha ha!!!

I wonder what convinced [cough] a few more euro's? [cough] him to change his mind?

Well worked Micko! You gotta hand it to him, he'd bleed money from Aer Arann in the middle of a recession if he had to!

REDCOL

This story in the herald doesnt quote anyone, I would be surprised if Micko takes the wicklow job tonight, his right hand man was canvassing delegates over the weekend

Barney

Interesting to hear that REDCOL.

As the poster with the best sources where do you reckon this is going to end up?

I think it is alarming that this is a real possibility. What has the man achieved since Laois won Leinster? I know he did get Wicklow on a good run last year but that hasn't been followed up. He is a GAA legend but his time is done. Training wise we will be taking a step back. Tactically we will be inept. And most importantly we do not need to be the centre of media circus.

Some rubbish long-term thinking but we are at a crossroads now. There are lads there around the 23, 24, 25 mark who are at the decisive time. They can either fulfil potential and show that the past 4 years were just a bad dream. Or else they can push on, stand up for themselves and challenge at the top level. They are fellas that do not need exposure. We need a low profile manager who gets into their heads, who builds up a panel that is "Team Mayo" and has them raring to go next Summer.

And rest assured if Micko does take it we will be back with the same rubbish next year win, lose or draw - with him blathering on about not knowing whether he will hang around etc etc.

Of course I would be delighted if it would work out but it is more a social experiment destined to failure.

It is time for initiative from the County Board. Their flawed system for appointment has put them in this mess. Head hunt whoever they think is the best Mayo man or group of Mayo men to lead the team and move on.

JMohan

Although I thought it would have been a waste of money initially - the Review idea now looks like a good idea!
It might even stall things for a while until people catch a grip.

moysider

Quote from: JMohan on August 30, 2010, 07:45:31 PM
Although I thought it would have been a waste of money initially - the Review idea now looks like a good idea!
It might even stall things for a while until people catch a grip.

The review has already taken place.

REDCOL

It is not easy to gauge the exact lie of the land. Our Chairman and Treasurer want Micko, not entirely for football reasons. If we like it or not Mc Hale Park is a huge factor in this equation, the debt on this project is huge - interest payment circa 700k per year. Clubs are going to have to pay for most of this - probably leading to a revolt against County Board.

The Dublin Gang - names by PM only want Micko - being influenced by Mickos Sidekick, this suits CB as they will pick up the tab and will relieve some financial pressure, even if some of the locals get the job, CB will have to pay.

Micko is a rogue and if he gets the job, the CB lose control, it wont only be our ex-PRO who is kept out of the dressing room.

I have a few reservations about Micko, but will he motivate our players his history suggests he will.

He is being slated about not bringing on subs - maybe his subs were not good enough last year, he brought on two subs in both wicklow matches this year.

His Training is outdated according to some experts - could it be any worse than Kieltys.

His great strength in my opinion is that he gets players to believe in themselves.
By the way, he beat both Kildare and Down in the last three years with Wicklow.

The other contenders, James Horan has done Ok with Ballintubber and could be a possible contender in the future.

Denis Kearney has a good club record

Anthony Mc Garry - Doesnt seem to be in the running

John Maughan - County secretary seems to want him .

Local media have an Anyone but Micko campaign and most posters on here and on Willie Joes blog dont seem to want him. Perhaps its the last dalliance with Jacko that is influencing people.

5 year plans dont interest me, winning matches in Sligo and Longford are more important than talking shops with the same county board delegates that have been there for 20 years, Divisional Boards with officials for 25 years. and we are saying Micko is too old, his metods are outdated.

I say give him two years and bring some fresh faces into the administration side of things in the county, how many delegates are under 40. Then bring in a new young manager and compare records.