Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on August 27, 2010, 08:45:04 PM
To defend Micko for half a second ..... his motives surely can not be money. The man is minted - whats 80K a year going to do for him ? Unless he has a dose of extreme Cavan-itis then i can't see money being the issue.

Also, a lot of people seem to think that whoever should be over the senior team should also be 'director of football' throughout the whole county. Such a scenario would never be allowed to happen. Yes, the powers that be will nod their heads in disapproval when the likes of John Evans gets employed by the Tipp county board in such a role, but nodding of heads would not be enough if Mayo employed a man in such a role and the county board know this.

I think we could do worse than have someone like James Horan responsible for coaching and structures throughout the county presuming such a role were the outcome of the long promised audit and with Micko as the man in charge of the senior team...... sort of an Arsene Wenger / Liam Brady role at Arsenal (although that analogy would underplay the role i would have in mind for someone like Horan)

As far as I m aware any review that is going to take place has taken place. Billy McNicolas has made a presentation to the board outlining what is being done underage at county level. There was also some hazy invitation to the clubs to feel free to volunteer suggestions but no committee was put in place or anything as far as I know to facilitate this. I wouldn't be putting much store in an audit that McStay was suggesting and some on here were expecting. Turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas and all that.
A review and management of the county team separate issues. The manager has enough on his plate to prepare the county senior football team, end of. That he would have a wider role - call it a director of football or whatever - is, as you point out, unworkable. The last man came into the job talking about 'putting structures in place'. It was enough to put a shiver down the spine. The managers job is to make the most of the players available to him, not worry about what players will be coming through in 5 years time. There should be other people working on that. And indeed there is. Anyway apart from the silly talk the last man did nothing to improve 'structures' whatever that was supposed to be anyway. He was also sidetracked by some strange desire to get everybody to believe we weren't much good and ended up making sure everybody realised it. In other words he didn't do what he was supposed to do at all well. Strange times indeed.

blast05

Could anyone care to name the members of the Mayo executive that are incompetent, incapable, etc and outline the reasons why

muppet

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 27, 2010, 08:36:27 PM
you Mayo lads are some men to be turning up your noses up at Micko.

Yerra Kerry wouldn't touch him with a barge pole these days either so have a word with yourself good lad.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on August 27, 2010, 11:19:20 PM
Could anyone care to name the members of the Mayo executive that are incompetent, incapable, etc and outline the reasons why

Nobody would get there by being incompetent or incapable. They are very capable and competent people. But the picture they see is not necessarily the picture we see. Their priorities could be way different than the common garden supporter. But rest assured, incompetent and incapable are 2 things they are not. Take this manager stuff. The executive will get who they want for their own reasons.

Jimmy14

Mayo will go for an internal candidate like Noel Connelly perhaps..
They need someone on the ground with a 5 year plan working closely with the minor & 21 teams...

moysider

Quote from: Jimmy14 on August 28, 2010, 12:09:46 PM
Mayo will go for an internal candidate like Noel Connelly perhaps..
They need someone on the ground with a 5 year plan working closely with the minor & 21 teams...

I doubt it. Connelly hasn't even been nominated or expressed any interest.

As for 5 year plans. Scary things, and we shouldn't be fooled by talks of rebuilding and long term plans in this county. I wouldn't trust anybody with that kind of time span. Our recent 4 year experience shows what can go wrong when one person is given total control for a number of years. I dont see how working closely with minor or U21would be of much benefit either nor would being in the county be of much benefit either. Young players are coming through and it is the senior manager s job to get the best out of the best at his disposal now. At least the team he inherits should be fresh and hungry - they haven't done anything in 4 years. Any more talk of planning and structures and dumbing down needs to be nipped in the bud now. The new managers only focus should be preparing the team and making sure it performs to the best of its ability.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2010, 07:58:48 PM
Micko has got more of the votes and nearly 25% of the total vote in the Mayo News, seems this board isn't reflective of the feeling in Mayo.

How many of that 25% where logging into the site to check the death notices or when Jedward were back the "the Royal" in Castlebar!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

rosnarun

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 28, 2010, 06:39:35 PM
Micko has got more of the votes and nearly 25% of the total vote in the Mayo News, seems this board isn't reflective of the feeling in Mayo.

How many of that 25% where logging into the site to check the death notices or when Jedward were back the "the Royal" in Castlebar!

A why is your opinion more valid than theirs?
Of course you need a 5 year plan that would only bring players from u 16 to u21 . What stage u think mayo should plan the  next generation age 20?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on August 28, 2010, 07:58:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 28, 2010, 06:39:35 PM

A why is your opinion more valid than theirs?
Of course you need a 5 year plan that would only bring players from u 16 to u21 . What stage u think mayo should plan the  next generation age 20?

5 year plans went uit of fashion with Stalinist Soviet Union and for good reason. They didn't reach their targets. If you want a development programme that is not in place now then go ahead but that will not be the managers concern. His role is to prepare the Senior team not cherrypick from 16/17 yr olds etc who he thinks will be the future seniors. His will be only another opinion on a young player after all , same as all the Jedward fans and auld ones  listening to MidWest. We should have learned at this stage about putting all our faith in Messiahs. Anyway the players are bubbling through nicely from 16-21. It s then we have a problem. That will be the next managers problem - not hiding behind programmes and rebuilding. If we hear the incoming manager use that kind of jargon we will know straight away we are in for more lean times.

Peter Solan the Great

I think it is exciting that some one like Micko would consider managing Mayo. It would certainly bring us to the next level. The man is a proven legend. he has always denied taking extra payments for managing counties sure wasnt he audited by revenue and everything and if them fellas didnt get anything then i am convinced. It will cost mayo nothing more then normal expenses so we should snap him up

Rossfan

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on August 28, 2010, 08:31:43 PM
It will cost mayo nothing more then normal expenses so we should snap him up

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

7 round trips per week from Waterville to Castlebar for 40 weeks ( about  €80,000)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.