Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

REDCOL

Every club has a quota of tickets, Senior clubs have to sell around 70, if you do not sell them fine just give the County Board 7000 of a levy. Its lose lose

stephenite

Some clubs are not overly concerned with who's managing the county team

Tubberman

Whatever about boycotts and refusal to sell tickets, the most straightforward and easiest way to ensure TL is not the next manager is for the club delegates to vote against it as Redcol said.

The appointment has to be ratified, the CB can't install anyone without the approval of the clubs (much as they wish they could).
A campaign of sorts should be started - the grassroot members have to let their club delegates know that they don't want TL as the next manager, particularly if the alleged reasons for the appointment are true.
This is a ridiculous situation, and there is no way I can possibly believe this decision (if it comes to pass) is being made for the benefit of Mayo football.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 24, 2010, 01:33:25 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 24, 2010, 01:12:49 PM
Iolar, I actually like your idea of a boycott of home league games. However, I would get labeled as a bandwagon jumper come championship time and there's one accusation I would not be happy with. Away league games would be hard to fit in if there are club games on those weekends. PS, clubs HAVE to sell a certain amount of Co. board tickets or else the county board comes after them.

I'm not involved in a club so I'm open to direction on this. Thanks for bringing the issue up.

See, as I see it, it's all a big game of bluff. If the sales of the tickets are so important to the Board, doesn't that work in the other direction? Can the clubs say to the Board there is no way we're selling those tickets if you appoint a manager of whom we do not approve? Is that not a stalemate at worst?

as regards tickets i can't understand why the clubs haven't got together allready and told the board NO we are not selling these tickets any more (do they fine the club if you do not sell your allocated amount ) i used to allways buy one but not anymore i give my money directly to the club where at least i know it will be appreciated and jesus our own clubs need as much help as possible. Clubs are treated like Shit . The board created the mess re Mc Hale park and its financial woes let them sort it f**king out.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ross matt

Why the anti-Lyons hysteria lads?
He's won an AI club.... an NFL and Leinster with Offaly.
Regardless of his smug personality on the Sunday Game he has a decent managerial record and wouldnt be taking on the job unless he was confident of bringing some success. The talent is there (based on recent underage titles) to win Connacht and make the last 4. Lyons is well capable of delivering that in my opinion.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ross matt on September 24, 2010, 02:12:33 PM
Regardless of his smug personality on the Sunday Game he has a decent managerial record and wouldnt be taking on the job unless he was confident of bringing some success. The talent is there (based on recent underage titles) to win Connacht and make the last 4. Lyons is well capable of delivering that in my opinion.

John o' mahony has a decent managerial recoard as well ross matt and look where that got us , if lyons gets appointed it will be more of the same auld shite
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 24, 2010, 02:17:59 PM

John o' mahony has a decent managerial recoard as well ross matt and look where that got us , if lyons gets appointed it will be more of the same auld shite

I could understand the hysteria if he was stopping Mickey Harte getting the job but he isn't. Bar Maughan the others are completely unproven at the top level. They could be good but equally they could turn out to be pure useless.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 24, 2010, 02:30:34 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 24, 2010, 02:17:59 PM

I could understand the hysteria if he was stopping Mickey Harte getting the job but he isn't. Bar Maughan the others are completely unproven at the top level. They could be good but equally they could turn out to be pure useless.

true but how will we ever know if we don't give them a chance, imo James Horan would care more about Mayo football than Tommy Lyons
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

magpie seanie

I actually cannot believe ye are about to do this. Maughan would be better.

ross4life

TBH it's not a good sign when Maughan/Carr pull out before a interview
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 24, 2010, 12:35:21 PM
Yes Moysider. A boycott is exactly what I'm suggesting. The boycott was invented in Mayo. It's time we brought it home.

If County Board only care about money then the people that care about a winning team should hit them where it hurts. Attend no league games in Castlebar. Buy no shirts. Buy club lotto, of course. Support your clubs. But make a list of any activity from which the Board gets a cut and have nothing to do with it.

Tommy Lyons attends Mayo's first NFL match in McHale Park:

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 24, 2010, 03:05:46 PM
I actually cannot believe ye are about to do this. Maughan would be better.

JM was run out of town by (so-called) supporters some of whom had driven Ciaran McDonald away a few years earlier. Both of them were as good as we have had in their respective roles in decades. The M&M show got us to a final in their only year but no tears were shed by the majority of supporters when they were dumped for the returning prodigal son. It shows that we, the supporters, know jack-shit.

Now we are on the verge of appointing a man with some experience over a couple of guys with none. After the toothless performances this year it looks like we need an inspirational local figure to put some fire in the bellies or a very clever outsider. I would have gone for the real local such as a dual All-Star winner. However the M&M show demonstrated that apparently unheralded outsiders (Lyons would be a lot more local than they were) can pick up the reins and get off to a flyer.

My head says if it is to be Tommy we should give him a chance. I would say though that we will have a fair idea before the end of the League if the players haven't bought in to him. If that happened next year would be messy. If the players do get on board who knows? Anything is possible with a Mayo team.

My heart would still give James the nod though.
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."