Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Peter Solan the Great

Got that pm, you'd think Anglo Irish had enough problems without funding the Mayo job.

IolarCoisCuain

If it is going to be Lyons, and if that is because the Board have essentially auctioned off the job, maybe we need to decide beforehand what exactly we're getting. What we would consider a success. I don't want to pick on Barney but something he said a few days ago is to the point here.

Quote from: Barney on September 21, 2010, 08:16:05 AM
whether we will achieve our potential (a regular Quarter Final team with occasional semi-final chances) has to be seen.

See, what makes that interesting in this context is that Tommy Lyons can deliver that. And when Tommy Lyons gets Mayo to an All-Ireland quarter-final and they lose, Tommy's media cheerleaders, by whom I mean Tom Humphries, will say great job Tommy, you got as much out of them as is there.

Humphries loved Tommy Lyons when he managed Dublin and was amused at the thought of Mayo people daring to think that they could challenge for All-Ireland honours.

So this is what it boils down to. If, as Barney contends, Mayo's potential is a regular semi-final team with occasional semi-final chances, Tommy Lyons is exactly the man for the job. If Mayo's potential is that they can and should win an All-Ireland than maybe it's hard to see what's so special about Tommy Lyons.

I wonder what the interview panel see as Mayo's potential? Are they looking for a man to maybe get Mayo to a quarter-final, a man with the baggage to pay off their debts or a man to lead Mayo to an All-Ireland title?

I think we deserve to know. I'm tired of being taken for granted with this bullshit.

the Deel Rover

i think we are getting john o' mahony mark111 without the all irelands 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

some of you sound like you know t lyons is going to get the job, are you mind readers or can you say outright how you know.

IolarCoisCuain

Maughan's ruled himself out - it's down to Horan, McGarry and that other guy now.

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/31471

Maughan out of race as pack reduces to three
MAYO ADVERTISER, SEPTEMBER 24, 2010.
GAA: Exclusive
By Colm Gannon

Former Mayo manager John Maughan ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Mayo senior managers job late on Thursday evening. The Crossmolina native who three times guided Mayo the All Ireland senior final confirmed to the Mayo Advertiser that he would not be going forward to the interview stage of the process. He told the Advertiser that he was "very interested in the job, but following a discussion with chairman of the county board on Thursday he decided not to pursue his interest in the position any further. "

Maughan had previously two stints as manager of the Mayo senior team during both terms he guided them to the All Ireland senior finals, as well as a u21 final in 2004. The withdrawal of the Crossmolina man has now put bookies favorite Tommy Lyons in an even stronger position ahead of any interviews taking place. Lyons is the only man of the three remaining candidates for the position who has any senior inter county management experience having managed both Offaly and Dublin to Lenister titles. It was a Lyons managed Offaly side in 1997 whom a Mayo team managed by John Maughan beat in the All Ireland semi final. The other two men who remain in the race are Ballintubber manager James Horan and former Mayo player Anthony McGarry.

moysider

Say no more. He s obviously been told the job is going elsewhere. And he has withdrawn while he can still save face. Unless - and it s a long shot - that these fellas have enough moral fibre to do the right thing and appoint either of the 2 of the original 3, we get .... well, who s left.

Anybody for Micko now?  Won? 9 AI s and 2 Leinsters, with 2 different counties that had never won anything in living memory. Not good enough for us though. Unless our county board have late balls we end up with a spoofer. Another one. Another 2 to 4 years wasted. I doubt there is another county in the country could have even imagined this. Signs were ominous when candidates that heard something, started droppin out. Maughan must have thought he was too big and in control and a made man. Until the chairman quietly sat him down. Still time for Sir John to look elsewhere if he needs to kill time.. Galway would be worth a sniff. Leitrim and Sligo seem to be occupied for another year at least. Who wrote this script? 

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2010, 12:41:57 AM
Anybody for Micko now?  Won? 9 AI s and 2 Leinsters, with 2 different counties that had never won anything in living memory.

3 Leinsters.

It's Tommy that only has 2.  ;)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

IolarCoisCuain

We're on page 64 of this discussion. I think that the tin hat will be put on this whole sorry affair when the 6th post on page 66 will be the official confirmation of Lyons' appointment.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is 666.

I won't be sleeping for quite some time.

spectator

Feckin Hell  ... surely there's another twist or two left in this yet :o

joemamas

Quote from: spectator on September 24, 2010, 12:56:16 AM
Feckin Hell  ... surely there's another twist or two left in this yet :o

Tommy Lyons to have used up all his cliches before being appointed, then is lost for words and the job is given to James Horan.

rosnarun

Quote from: mannix on September 23, 2010, 07:48:00 PM
some of you sound like you know t lyons is going to get the job, are you mind readers or can you say outright how you know.
didn#t you hear all our insiders knew for sure Maughan was getting it before the interview panel was even named.
in other words don believe a word till you see white smoke
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bod Mor

Well it looks obvious now it will be Lyons manager with a backroom team of McGarry and Horan or some sort of combination of the three. Maughan was probably asked would he be in for a three pronged management team but he probably wouldn't be suited to that.

When is the FBD final in New York does anyone know?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

Underwhelmed to be honest but Tommy is out leader now it seems so its time to get behind him and the team, put our preconeived ideas away and judge him on his performance over the next 12 months.

The big thing that will influence a lot of views is who he will have with him. Guess would be that the two other candidates, Horan and McGarry will come on board with Horan ready to step up in the future.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.