Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

AbbeySider

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 03:40:19 AM
Quote from: m@yoman on September 30, 2010, 10:08:42 PM

Was that you Peter texting in to OfftheBall this evening??!!

Good interview I thought by James Horan....He's really putting the emphasis on getting players in a decent state of mind for matches with good preparation....Ciaran Murphy should be made sing the Green and Red of Mayo some night!  :D

It was indeed me. They didnt read it all out though. Plus i was hoping they would actually ask James Horan the question.

I heard that too! What was you question Peter? Something about Junior and Intermediate players?

the Deel Rover

congrats to James on getting the job absolutely delighted will post more later when i get a chance
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 09:16:07 AM

Good interview I thought by James Horan....He's really putting the emphasis on getting players in a decent state of mind for matches with good preparation....Ciaran Murphy should be made sing the Green and Red of Mayo some night!  :D

It was indeed me. They didnt read it all out though. Plus i was hoping they would actually ask James Horan the question.

I heard that too! What was you question Peter? Something about Junior and Intermediate players?

Here is the link to the NewsTalk interview:
http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/thursday/2/popup

Has anyone a link to last nights MisWest show where thay would have played the news conference? I missed that.

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 09:18:41 AM

Has anyone a link to last nights MisWest show where thay would have played the news conference? I missed that.

Ger Gilroy had a bit of trouble trying to pronounce Islandeady!  :D
Listened to the Mid-West interview as well. Can't find a podcast of it on the midwest website but it was along the same lines as the Newstalk one.

I can't remember which interview was which to be honest, but he was saying that when he was finished with the media interviews on Wed night, he'd be calling each of his backroom team to arrange to meet the next day and make a start on their plans. He also said after the first couple of days when he gets the interviews out of the way, we won't be hearing much out of him again. It'll be down to work.
Plus he does have a county final to plan for  :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JMohan

Quote from: Tubberman on October 01, 2010, 09:39:41 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 09:18:41 AM

Ger Gilroy had a bit of trouble trying to pronounce Islandeady!  :D
Listened to the Mid-West interview as well. Can't find a podcast of it on the midwest website but it was along the same lines as the Newstalk one.

I can't remember which interview was which to be honest, but he was saying that when he was finished with the media interviews on Wed night, he'd be calling each of his backroom team to arrange to meet the next day and make a start on their plans. He also said after the first couple of days when he gets the interviews out of the way, we won't be hearing much out of him again. It'll be down to work.
Plus he does have a county final to plan for  :)

That was funny!

JMohan

I'm actaully pretty impressed with Horan's backroom team.
Nallen brings alot of credibility and experience to the team of course but the guy I happiest seeing involved is Martin Connelly who has had a fair bit of club management experience with Burrishoole and Westport, not to forget about his own on field playing experiences. Liam Moffatt has a great reputation and I hope he's doing more than just the Dublin based players as that was a failing before with travel.
Of course I'd like to see guys like young Crowe get his chance at some stage, but might be a bit early yet but with Moffat they'll not be lacking direction.
And then there's Horan at the top who's a capable manager, but he's still got enough to do.
I'd be cautiously optimistic. If there is such a thing!

RedandGreenSniper

Moysider you have me going now! Some players who could be brought in? Hmmm there are so many with flashes of what it takes, could be worth a look and may fail, but probs worth a shot - at trials at least. A lot of names but, for the purposes of discussion, we'll throw them in for the craic.

I'd be talking about the likes of these guys (not including any of the current panel of thirty, listed at bottom):

West Mayo
Achill: Michael Gallagher
Ballintubber: Cathal Hallinan, Jason Gibbons
Burrishoole: James Moran, Jason Doherty
Breaffy: Alan Durcan, David Gavin, Robert Hennelly
Castlebar: Richard Feeney, Eoin O'Reilly
Parke: Simon Cloherty, Declan Neary
Islandeady: Vinny Feeney, Ollie Feeney, Peter Collins
Westport: Lee Keegan, Kevin Keane

South Mayo (haven't seen too many of these clubs though)
Ballinrobe: David Killeen
Shrule/Glencorrib: Dermot Geraghty, Ronan Walsh
Garrymore: David Dolan
Claremorris: Sean Prendergast
Hollymount: Clifford Connolly
Davitts: Michael Conroy
The Neale: Eoin Hughes

North Mayo
Crossmolina: Brian Benson, Joe Keane (young)
Ardnaree: Michael Walsh, Ronan Doherty
Ballina: Stephen Hughes (small I know)
Knockmore: Shane McHale
Killala: Andrew Farrell

East Mayo
Aghamore: Cathal Freeman (depending on fitness)
Have seen very little here so I won't expand.

Mayo panel 2010
Barry Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Ronan McGarrity, David Clarke, Tom Cunniffe, Alan Dillon, Peadar Gardiner, Pat Harte, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Kieran Conroy, Keith Higgins, Trevor Howley, Aidan Kilcoyne, Kevin McLoughlin, Conor Mortimer, Trevor Mortimer, Kenneth O'Malley, Liam O'Malley, Billy Joe Padden, Seamus O'Shea, Tom Parsons, Mark Ronaldson, Donal Vaughan, Andy Moran, Neil Douglas, Alan Freeman, Alan Feeney, Enda Varley, Shane Nally.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Buckass

The Racing Post tipped Horan up a month ago at 12-1.Get in ya good thing!

Cosmo Kramer

So its confirmed as Down up first in the league.

Sunday 6 Feb (2.30): Mayo v Down

Sun 20 Feb (2.30): Mayo v Kerry

Sun 27 Feb (2.30): Galway v Mayo

Sun 13 Mar (2.30): Mayo v Armagh

Sunday 20 Mar (2.30): Dublin v Mayo

Sunday 3 Apri (2.30): Mayo v Cork

Sunday 10 April (2.30): Monaghan v Mayo

Four home games for a change.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on October 01, 2010, 11:15:20 AM

I thought there was floodlights in mchale, why are ye not using them, all 2.30 games?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 01, 2010, 11:27:41 AM

I thought there was floodlights in mchale, why are ye not using them, all 2.30 games?

One or teo issues with the planning permission means we are not allowed to turn them on.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 11:32:17 AM

One or teo issues with the planning permission means we are not allowed to turn them on.
Why would ye order, build and install floodlights if your not allowed to use them, surely planning permission would of had to be given before money being spent on them? Mchale park in fairness would look brillant under them..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 01, 2010, 10:43:01 AM
Mayo panel 2010
Barry Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Ronan McGarrity, David Clarke, Tom Cunniffe, Alan Dillon, Peadar Gardiner, Pat Harte, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Kieran Conroy, Keith Higgins, Trevor Howley, Aidan Kilcoyne, Kevin McLoughlin, Conor Mortimer, Trevor Mortimer, Kenneth O'Malley, Liam O'Malley, Billy Joe Padden, Seamus O'Shea, Tom Parsons, Mark Ronaldson, Donal Vaughan, Andy Moran, Neil Douglas, Alan Freeman, Alan Feeney, Enda Varley, Shane Nally.

Of that panel, R&GS how many do you expect to survive ??
I think sweeping changes could be made although it could take a season or two for a proper clear out.

At a glance... I reckon up to 8-12 could get the chop or at least will have to fight hard for their survival.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 01, 2010, 11:37:12 AM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 11:32:17 AM

Why would ye order, build and install floodlights if your not allowed to use them, surely planning permission would of had to be given before money being spent on them? Mchale park in fairness would look brillant under them..

It was granted alright but the conditions for planning werent adherred to.

kevmy

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 01, 2010, 10:43:01 AM
Mayo panel 2010

Of that panel, R&GS how many do you expect to survive ??
I think sweeping changes could be made although it could take a season or two for a proper clear out.

At a glance... I reckon up to 8-12 could get the chop or at least will have to fight hard for their survival.

Not sure how many will be cut. I'd see some of the fringe players go. Maybe BJP, Peader and Trev had bad seasons this yr by their own standards. Tbh that squad will be the backbone of the new one. Clarke, Caff, Higgins, Vaughan, McLoughlin, Dillon, C Mort, McG, O'Se x2, Freeman will probably be starters or very close again this yr although maybe not in positions they are at present