Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on October 01, 2010, 12:03:14 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 01, 2010, 10:43:01 AM
Mayo panel 2010
Barry Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Ronan McGarrity, David Clarke, Tom Cunniffe, Alan Dillon, Peadar Gardiner, Pat Harte, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Kieran Conroy, Keith Higgins, Trevor Howley, Aidan Kilcoyne, Kevin McLoughlin, Conor Mortimer, Trevor Mortimer, Kenneth O'Malley, Liam O'Malley, Billy Joe Padden, Seamus O'Shea, Tom Parsons, Mark Ronaldson, Donal Vaughan, Andy Moran, Neil Douglas, Alan Freeman, Alan Feeney, Enda Varley, Shane Nally.

Of that panel, R&GS how many do you expect to survive ??
I think sweeping changes could be made although it could take a season or two for a proper clear out.

At a glance... I reckon up to 8-12 could get the chop or at least will have to fight hard for their survival.

Not sure how many will be cut. I'd see some of the fringe players go. Maybe BJP, Peader and Trev had bad seasons this yr by their own standards. Tbh that squad will be the backbone of the new one. Clarke, Caff, Higgins, Vaughan, McLoughlin, Dillon, C Mort, McG, O'Se x2, Freeman will probably be starters or very close again this yr although maybe not in positions they are at present

Of your list of the backbone of the team kevmy, I think even a couple of those could be in trouble.

boosabum

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 11:40:40 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 01, 2010, 11:37:12 AM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 11:32:17 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 01, 2010, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on October 01, 2010, 11:15:20 AM
So its confirmed as Down up first in the league.

Sunday 6 Feb (2.30): Mayo v Down

Sun 20 Feb (2.30): Mayo v Kerry

Sun 27 Feb (2.30): Galway v Mayo

Sun 13 Mar (2.30): Mayo v Armagh

Sunday 20 Mar (2.30): Dublin v Mayo

Sunday 3 Apri (2.30): Mayo v Cork

Sunday 10 April (2.30): Monaghan v Mayo

Four home games for a change.
I thought there was floodlights in mchale, why are ye not using them, all 2.30 games?

One or teo issues with the planning permission means we are not allowed to turn them on.
Why would ye order, build and install floodlights if your not allowed to use them, surely planning permission would of had to be given before money being spent on them? Mchale park in fairness would look brillant under them..

It was granted alright but the conditions for planning werent adherred to.

I believe the NRA asked for the lights to me moved slightly to prevent or reduce glare on the road. This request was granted and thus the planning conditions were nullified.
That what happens when you try to be helpful.

Anyway, 4 home games and a short trip to galway, another league final looms

kevmy

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 12:08:59 PM
Mayo panel 2010
Barry Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Ronan McGarrity, David Clarke, Tom Cunniffe, Alan Dillon, Peadar Gardiner, Pat Harte, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Kieran Conroy, Keith Higgins, Trevor Howley, Aidan Kilcoyne, Kevin McLoughlin, Conor Mortimer, Trevor Mortimer, Kenneth O'Malley, Liam O'Malley, Billy Joe Padden, Seamus O'Shea, Tom Parsons, Mark Ronaldson, Donal Vaughan, Andy Moran, Neil Douglas, Alan Freeman, Alan Feeney, Enda Varley, Shane Nally.

I think sweeping changes could be made although it could take a season or two for a proper clear out.

At a glance... I reckon up to 8-12 could get the chop or at least will have to fight hard for their survival.

Not sure how many will be cut. I'd see some of the fringe players go. Maybe BJP, Peader and Trev had bad seasons this yr by their own standards. Tbh that squad will be the backbone of the new one. Clarke, Caff, Higgins, Vaughan, McLoughlin, Dillon, C Mort, McG, O'Se x2, Freeman will probably be starters or very close again this yr although maybe not in positions they are at present

Of your list of the backbone of the team kevmy, I think even a couple of those could be in trouble.

Which of the ones named would you expect to see dropped from the panel, out of interest?

I agree not all of them might not start especially if some of the guys currently outside the panel come in and do very well.

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on October 01, 2010, 01:54:29 PM
Mayo panel 2010

Which of the ones named would you expect to see dropped from the panel, out of interest?

I agree not all of them might not start especially if some of the guys currently outside the panel come in and do very well.

Its hard to know as we are just speculating and its probably not right to name names.
But I do reckon that most players will have to prove themselves.

southsider

Quote from: southsider on September 30, 2010, 09:28:10 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 30, 2010, 07:43:15 PM
As Southsider says, Ballinrobe's David Killeen is well worth a go.
He's strong, fast and is rarely bettered by any man. Bring him in!

ya saw kileen in two championship matches against ballagh and knockmore, handled kilcoyne very well - although i think kilcoyne short of match fitness. when i get down there here nothing but good reports. Also hear that o malley would be a good option at corner back. fast and did a great job on andy moran in championship. don't know as much about him though and inter county another level altogether

All: do you think there will be open trials or what the likely selection scenario will be

lynchbhoy

think Mayo have done well to appoint Horan and his backroom team. No doubt that Mayo have a lot of very good players. Horan could be the man along with Nallen with modern football knoweldge to bring them on.
I'm happy for all the good decent GAA Mayo folk and wish them well (though there is one shower of scumbags that I still despise in the county but every place has a set !)

kevmy

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 02:01:13 PM
Mayo panel 2010

Its hard to know as we are just speculating and its probably not right to name names.

Fair enough although I think people who expect a massive clearout of players and a massive influx of fantastic lads from intermediate and junior clubs may be codding themselves. Undoubtedly there will be some change and players will come onto, and off, the panel for various reasons.

But the cold hard truth is that most of the better players in the county are on the panel. I'm guessing there are some fellas out there who didn't get a fair run at inter county in the past and I'm positive we have a lot of young lads in the 18 - 23 bracket who for one reason or another haven't shown their full potential yet. However imo if we are lucky if 2 or 3 good intercounty players are 'discovered', the rest will have to be reinvented or rediscover the form that got them onto the panel in the first place.

Trials are a good idea but completely open trials are unlikely. I'm not sure what the process would be, but even in the trial games a good standard of football would be needed to ensure the cream comes to the top.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 01, 2010, 03:56:47 PM
think Mayo have done well to appoint Horan and his backroom team. No doubt that Mayo have a lot of very good players. Horan could be the man along with Nallen with modern football knoweldge to bring them on.
I'm happy for all the good decent GAA Mayo folk and wish them well (though there is one shower of scumbags that I still despise in the county but every place has a set !)

Thanks for the good wishes, lynchbhoy; I imagine all Mayo lads on here will appreciate them but you have intrigued me by your last statement.

well (though there is one shower of scumbags that I still despise in the county but every place has a set !)

It appears that you are referring to a particular incident where a number of Mayo fans did something to upset you.
Care to elaborate?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Peter Solan the Great

Kevin McStays comments about the appointment are very interesting he says

"Over the weekend I think there developed a sense here that the county didn't want to be dictated to by the Dublin media, who rightly or wrongly were perceived to be declaring Tommy the new manager. I think he had a great chance of winning but James was seen as more local even though Tommy has very strong roots and connections in the county."

Was it the Dublin media dictating Tommy Lyons? i certainly didnt think that.

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on October 01, 2010, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 01, 2010, 02:01:13 PM
Mayo panel 2010

Fair enough although I think people who expect a massive clearout of players and a massive influx of fantastic lads from intermediate and junior clubs may be codding themselves. Undoubtedly there will be some change and players will come onto, and off, the panel for various reasons.

But the cold hard truth is that most of the better players in the county are on the panel. I'm guessing there are some fellas out there who didn't get a fair run at inter county in the past and I'm positive we have a lot of young lads in the 18 - 23 bracket who for one reason or another haven't shown their full potential yet. However imo if we are lucky if 2 or 3 good intercounty players are 'discovered', the rest will have to be reinvented or rediscover the form that got them onto the panel in the first place.

Trials are a good idea but completely open trials are unlikely. I'm not sure what the process would be, but even in the trial games a good standard of football would be needed to ensure the cream comes to the top.

I agree. Even the brief sweep of the clubs we've done so far kinda shows that there are not many unknowns out there. Yet there is no doubt there will be changes even though I would not like to start drawing lines through names on last years panel. I expect that some that looked shot last year may well experience a renaissance next year. Last year wasn't all bad. The new management have a division 1 team after all. Another positive was the form of players that came into the team. McLoughlin, Barrett, Freeman and Seamus O Sé had decent years. Why was that I wonder? Was it their enthusiasm? Were the established just disillusioned knowing they were on a hiding to nothing? Does the likes of Trevor and McGarrity have it in them to rediscover their best form?
As well as maybe getting a player or two from outside last years panel I wouldn't be surprised if some of the younger players come through sooner than later. O Connor and Kirby and maybe Mick Walsh and Cathal Freeman if fit again.

moysider

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 10:46:50 PM

"Over the weekend I think there developed a sense here that the county didn't want to be dictated to by the Dublin media, who rightly or wrongly were perceived to be declaring Tommy the new manager. I think he had a great chance of winning but James was seen as more local even though Tommy has very strong roots and connections in the county."

Me neither. Where did he mean by here I wonder? I certainly wasn't aware of or concerned by a Dublin media angle.Di d the national papers even pay it any heed?

He seems disappointed Tommy didn't get it?

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2010, 11:08:07 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 01, 2010, 10:46:50 PM

Me neither. Where did he mean by here I wonder? I certainly wasn't aware of or concerned by a Dublin media angle.Di d the national papers even pay it any heed?

He seems disappointed Tommy didn't get it?

He was very happy about James Horan getting it. He does after all work with Tommy in RTE so the praise for James for a bit surprising

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1001/1224280080241.html

moysider

Yeah, the whole article a better indication of McStay s view of things but I get the feeling he was winging it a bit. No harm. He was probably put on the spot. I would disagree with him about Maughan dropping out being decisive. He dropped out because he knew it was over for him. Not alone was the interview committee ill-disposed towards Maughan he had very few supporters at all, and hardly any in the ex. Those that did support him initially seemed to do so as a foil to the Micko faction. Once Micko dropped out Maughan wasn't needed any more.

Cosmo Kramer

Rightly or wrongly there was definitely an opinion out there that the national media were pushing Lyons in a kind of 'wasn't good enough for Dublin but he'd do for a backwater like Mayo' kind of way. They knew about the Dublin money being put up to fund a manager and were maybe inclined to support Lyons because of his media background and the Dublin links.

The only thing I particularly noticed was that the Indo led with the story on Thursday's back page after the announcement Wednesday night but the headline was 'Mayo No to Lyons' with a picture of Lyons but no mention of Horan in the headline and no photo of him. So either they were so sure Lyons was going to get it they had the space left vacant with a picture of Lyons ready to go or else they thought that Lyons not getting it was a bigger story than Horan being chosen. Either way i thought it was a bit strange.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

IolarCoisCuain

My guess on McStay is that he's running with hare and hounds. Keeping a paw in every camp. Wouldn't worry about it any more than that. Knows damn well Tommy wasn't a Dublin media candidate. It's all just soft chat.