Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 2010 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 30, 2010, 07:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

The thing is lads,if Fermanagh successfully crowd the defence,Cavan have not shown an ability to come up with a plan B.
Last year Antrim surrounded Jelly,and we had no answer.
What has me optimistic however is the emergence of Cian Mackey into a top quality IC forward.
Nesty also has displayed great ability in the league,so hopefully if Seanie is kept quiet,we can look elsewhere for scores.
We were well beaten at MF,in the league game where James Sherry made hay,although Givney will start this weekend so that should boost things,Whats Marty McGrath's chances of playing lads?
Fermanagh forwards lost them the league game,by squandering chance after easy chance.
It will be interesting to see this lad Quigley.

FermGael

It's going to be an interesting game on Saturday.
Fermanagh have had a very disappointing 2 years since our Ulster Final appearance in 2008.
We were relegated from division 2, beat by Cavan, and then beat by Wicklow.
This year we have got relegated from Division 3 and have only one win to our name against Roscommon thanks to a last minute goal.
We have never beaten Cavan in the Ulster Senior Championship.  You can see why Cavan are favourites

If Fermanagh are to win on Sunday then we have to go back to our strengths and thats defending.
I do not care if its puke football and if its hard to watch, we need a win at whatever cost.

Seanie Johnston tortured our defence last year and for that reason i think we have to play Clucker in the corner.  Both Goan and Bogue would not be fit for him and i think that Clucker could be the man to do a job even if it means losing him from his natural position CHB. 

Fermanagh have the edge in midfield with McGrath and J Sherry(who has been playing the football of his life this year).
I also feel that Cavan have a bit of a problem at full back and that Blobby could do real damage in there.
Quigley has the class but does he have the temperament.  We will find out on Saturday.
I would also play Little and i would think that C McElroy will start somewhere so he can play his natural sweeping position
Rory deserved his spot at CHF along side young Flaherty from Belcoo
Cavan man marked Tommy McElroy in the league and i can see them adopting that tactic again.  Should make it easier for our defence to crowd Johnston and Mackey if they use this tactic again.  Hopefully D Kelly will be fit.
Fermanagh team i would like to see:
Gallagher Bogue McGovern McCluskey Kelly Lyons T Mcelroy M McGRath J Sherry C Flaherty R Gallagher M Little C McElroy R Carson S Quigley.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 07, 2010, 07:39:43 PM
The thing is lads,if Fermanagh successfully crowd the defence,Cavan have not shown an ability to come up with a plan B.
Last year Antrim surrounded Jelly,and we had no answer.
What has me optimistic however is the emergence of Cian Mackey into a top quality IC forward.
Nesty also has displayed great ability in the league,so hopefully if Seanie is kept quiet,we can look elsewhere for scores.
We were well beaten at MF,in the league game where James Sherry made hay,although Givney will start this weekend so that should boost things,Whats Marty McGrath's chances of playing lads?
Fermanagh forwards lost them the league game,by squandering chance after easy chance.
It will be interesting to see this lad Quigley.

I'm not sure of his chances but I doubt if he's capabe of playing 70 minutes of championship football. He'll probably start as I don't think he have any other options. Ryan Jones has potential but he's untested at this level. Blooby could start at midfield but he's more effective in and around the full forward line.

I'm hoping Seamus Quigley can show how good a player he can be. He has been Roslea's main player for the last two seasons. He played the first half against Wicklow in the qualifiers last summer and if it wasn't for his departure though injury I think we would have won that game.

I'm nearly sure Malachy O'Rourke will deploy a sweeper at the back. It won't be pretty to watch but we left ourselves far too exposed during the league and decent forward lines ripped us apart. Mark Little would be my choice as a sweeper. To man mark Seanie Johnson I think Clucker is the man for the job.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermPundit

Quote from: FermGael on June 07, 2010, 08:12:42 PM
Gallagher Bogue McGovern McCluskey Kelly Lyons T Mcelroy M McGRath J Sherry C Flaherty R Gallagher M Little C McElroy R Carson S Quigley.

That's a decent looking team, FG, however I dobut if McGovern will start at full back. I think Shane Lyons is our best option here. What's the story with Shane Goan? is he fit? Martin O'Brien was playing really well in the league before he got suspended. He'll probably start at corner back, possibly ahead of Bogue. Does Mulrone have a chance to start?

FermGael

Quote from: FermPundit on June 07, 2010, 08:23:51 PM

That's a decent looking team, FG, however I dobut if McGovern will start at full back. I think Shane Lyons is our best option here. What's the story with Shane Goan? is he fit? Martin O'Brien was playing really well in the league before he got suspended. He'll probably start at corner back, possibly ahead of Bogue. Does Mulrone have a chance to start?

Think he is still a bit raw for championship football yet. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

Quote from: FermGael on June 07, 2010, 08:41:01 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on June 07, 2010, 08:23:51 PM

Think he is still a bit raw for championship football yet. 

And some might say an inability to mark his man!

Fermanaghandsam

Mulrone def has the ability but I also think he is just not really ready yet. If Goan is not fit, would Michael Jones or Woods be a possability, also when is Pete Sherry due back?

Ward seems to have been going well in the friendlies so I wonder will he start, also have a sneaking feeling Chris O'Brien coming off the bench could be a surprise package!!

Emmett

Nice to see the interest in this game growing. I for one am really looking forward to it. If league performance are anything to go by then we have no hope at all, luckily this is The Championship and anything can happen. A lot of people seem to think we should start Clucker in the corner to mark Seanie Johnston but I would not go along with that. True he is a good man-marker but Clucker in CHB is vital for setting our attacks up with his passing ability - he has also had a lot more time with the squad in comparison to last year so should be up to speed. I would like to see Shane Goan mark Seanie Johnston, if he's not fit then I would have the utmost confidence in John Woods.

My team would be.......

Gallagher
Goan/Woods
Lyons
Bogue (OBrien will push him very hard for a start though)
Kelly (if his knee holds up, if not then Mulrone)
McCluskey
T McElroy
Sherry
McGrath
Little
Gallagher
C McElroy (sweeping)
Carson
Quigley
D Keenan (moving out to WHF to leave a dangerous 2 man full forward line)

Should be scores in that forward line but the main thing is to tighten up our porous back-line.

sams the aim

all this take about Johnston folks the man has not played in  4 months prob wont even start the game from the information floating around and how can we expect him to be at any sort of championship pace having not played, its up to the other forwards to step up to the mark it really is, lets see what their really made of. any ideas of team news?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: sams the aim on June 08, 2010, 01:22:33 PM
all this take about Johnston folks the man has not played in  4 months prob wont even start the game from the information floating around and how can we expect him to be at any sort of championship pace having not played, its up to the other forwards to step up to the mark it really is, lets see what their really made of. any ideas of team news?

He did score 0-8(0-6 from play against Wexford) about 10 days ago.
The man is a fitness fanatic,i have no doubt he will play a major part next Saturday.

mylestheslasher

Cavan team announced today

Fintan Reilly
Sheridan
Corr
Cahill
Gunner
McGuigan
Alan Clarke
Givney
Galligan
Flanagan
Nesty
McKeever
Mackey
Brennan
Johnstone

I've highlighted the debutants in bold

sams the aim

on the team announced brennan is corner forward, heard cullivan will play that surely means johnston wont

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: cavanmaniac on May 30, 2010, 09:22:43 PM
Either way, I expect a very poor standard match, Fermanagh like to turn every game into an awful doggerel of a thing and Cavan won't have the necessary to play around it or take long range scores. If Fermanagh are disciplined and don't foul we could be in bother.

<pedant>
I think the only county you could legitimately apply the term doggerel to would be Limerick
</pedant>

;) :) :D ;D

I'll get my coat... <duck>

seafoid

Was it in 1996 that Cavan got to the all ireland under 21 final? there must have been at least 6 O/Reillys on the team. Not one of the fans stayed on to watch the hurling final that followed the fuball. 

I thought they were going places after they won ulster the following year bit nothing happened afterwards.

Celt_Man

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2010, 03:54:45 PM
Was it in 1996 that Cavan got to the all ireland under 21 final? there must have been at least 6 O/Reillys on the team. Not one of the fans stayed on to watch the hurling final that followed the fuball. 

I thought they were going places after they won ulster the following year bit nothing happened afterwards.

Aye it was in '96...  I doubt any Cavan fans were in the humour to sit watching a hurling match after losing an All Ireland - I know I wasn't! Beside there was hang sandwiches and flask of tea to be had back in the boots of our cars...

Larry and Peter Reilly would have started on the team and their other brother Michael was a sub if I remember correctly.  I think Jason was in the corner too

Yea not too much happened after that, got to a National League Div 1 final and Ulster final in the early naughties beaten by Tyrone in both and had a good year in 05 -pushing Armagh to the pin of their collars in Ulster semi final, getting to final 12 and beaten by Mayo and reaching an Under 21 Ulster final the same year...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010