Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 2010 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 30, 2010, 07:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Johnston was fluttering around with the ball taking doing his usual set up,then he stopped and repeated the whole thing again,he should have had it kicked long before the referee penalised him.
I have no problem with the referee blowing him up for that.

mylestheslasher

What about his decision to give Fermanagh a 14 yard free for a cavan man pulling on a loose ball in front of our posts only then to ignore when a Fermanagh forward drew the boot on shierdan as he went down on a ball in his own corner which led to a point and similarily in midfield in the 2nd half during a scramble a fermanagh man did the same again and this time he threw the ball in. That ref was a clown imo.

BallyhaiseMan

Not forgetting Givney being assaulted by one of the Fermanagh midfielders who jumped knee first into his back,The referee done nothing and allowed Fermanagh to play on and attack.
He wasnt great,but he wasnt the cause of us losing either.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: haranguerer on June 14, 2010, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 14, 2010, 01:52:29 PM
I disagree. Johnston went through his ritual of hopping the ball etc and then when he started his run up the ref said something which caused him to stop and start from scratch again. Also, common sense should prevail here. If time was up then Johnston couldn't have been wasting anybody's time so there was no need to punish him. The one that was pulled up in the second half gave about half the time given to Johnston and was your typical "leveller" IMO.

The ref told him presumably to go back - he'd went by the point where the free was awarded from. When he went back, he tapped the ball off the ground a few times, as is his ritual. He then stood to take it, stopped, and again tapped the ball off the ground a few times. When he stood up again after that, the ref blew.

If it was against us, I wouldnt have been happy, but I think I'd have to acknowledge that there was an inordinate length of time taken. Given the point in the game it was, I suppose it wasnt going to cause any disruption anyway though...Anyway, I was delighted to see it blown  :D

Over the posts; I said deserved because I thought he took too long to take the free. If a free is awarded just on the break, should there be no restriction whatsoever on how long it takes for it to be taken? I think its been demonstrated many times that the letter of the law and agreed best implementation are very different when it comes to GAA.

No, of course not. I mean the man in the middle deserves to have his tea when it's still warm :) Seemed a bit petulant of the referee to me though. Even if he remembered/knew the explicit rule(s) and just chose to disregard them. There are enough genuinely subjective areas for referees to bring (often unfair) criticism on themselves. I just didn't think it was wise or legitimate for this referee to just "do what he did because he could" in those circumstances.

Not that I hold a candle for Cavan or think it likely affected the outcome...

cavanmaniac

Myles and BH Man are both correct in identifying those calls from the ref, dreadul decisions and how he missed McGrath pole-axing Givney with a deliberate knee in the back is beyond me. The tap-over free for Gallagher in front of the posts mystified everyone and then he totaly ignored a Fermanagh man doing the same thing he alleged had happened for the Gallagher free.

It's also true that he wasn't the cause of us losing the game - the reasons for that are sadly a lot closer to home - but he certainly didn't help and IMO set out with a clear bias against Cavan. And then when Fermanagh got the goal and point near the end, suddenly Cavan were getting every free all of a sudden.  ::)

But this is what you have to put up when you're a weakling county with no real sway. Croke Park gives you the apprentice refs with the L plates still on so you're effectively serving as a nursery for new refs and all their teething problems, and worse, in this case, a neighbouring county referee with some sort of axe to grind.

None of which is to suggest Fermanagh didn't deserve to win, I think they'd have won anyway so fair dues and well done all the same.

haranguerer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 14, 2010, 04:49:59 PM
What about his decision to give Fermanagh a 14 yard free for a cavan man pulling on a loose ball in front of our posts only then to ignore when a Fermanagh forward drew the boot on shierdan as he went down on a ball in his own corner which led to a point and similarily in midfield in the 2nd half during a scramble a fermanagh man did the same again and this time he threw the ball in. That ref was a clown imo.

Seen it again on tv - wasnt a free. I didnt paticularly notice the other incidents you refer to, which makes me thing they weren't frees  either, though I think a cavan man lifted the ball off the deck in that scramble in mf which became a throw up.

haranguerer

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 14, 2010, 06:03:27 PM

But this is what you have to put up when you're a weakling county with no real sway. Croke Park gives you the apprentice refs with the L plates still on so you're effectively serving as a nursery for new refs and all their teething problems, and worse

Dublin v Wexford yesterday was reffed by a debutante, though perhaps that was seen as  a potential non contest