Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 2010 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 30, 2010, 07:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Good result last night.
Fermanagh defence was excellent last night.
An awful lot of blocks by the Fermanagh defence and Johnston and Mackey were well marshalled.
Compared to the league, we had an awful lot of experience back in(McCluskey, McGrath, Gallagher's, Carson)
Thought we just about shaded midfield with McGrath getting stronger as the game progressed.
Up front we were good.  Rory did not have a good game but would stick with him.
He seems to like playing against Monaghan.
We exploited the cavan full back line well.
Ward and O'Brien have great pace and are very direct.  Both hit good scores and fed of Blobby well when
we played the ball in direct. 
Blobby played well and quigley was a great impact sub.  His 2 points were sheer class and hopefully he can have the
same impact against Monaghan.
O'Rourke got his subs and tactic's spot on. 
Roll on Monaghan.  We have seen what Sligo and Louth have done this year.
We can improve and its a perfect set up for Fermanagh.  All the pressure on Monaghan.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on June 13, 2010, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 12, 2010, 10:42:14 PM
Well done Fermanagh and all the best against Monaghan. Disappointed in our 2nd half and very annoyed that the ref kept ye in the game n the 1st half with some of the softest frees in the history of football but nothing new there when 2 of Ulsters weaker team play some shite ref might as well get blooded. We needed to bring on abig man for FF in the 2nd half when Fermanagh played 2 sweepers and instead our genius of a manager got the smallest guy on the panel and brought him on. Carr is done for now and no harm.

The mf with the fluorescent gloves - (givney, is it?) was in there for a while anyway. Didnt see the soft frees, thought the ref was good, let it go plenty. But sure if what you say is true I suppose I would say that  :D

p.s. Cian Mackey was well marshalled - the fermanagh defence was excellent generally; count the number of blocks they made, I doubt there'll be more in any game this year.

pps just watching the championship here - austin o callaghan with a vuzvula (sic?). Not a highlight of his career...!

Givney went in there after the goal, too late then. Even that was stupid as he was left on 2/3 men with no other Cavan man near him - what was he supposed to do even if he did win the ball.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 13, 2010, 12:05:13 PM
Well done Fermanagh and all the best against Monaghan. Disappointed in our 2nd half and very annoyed that the ref kept ye in the game n the 1st half with some of the softest frees in the history of football but nothing new there when 2 of Ulsters weaker team play some shite ref might as well get blooded. We needed to bring on abig man for FF in the 2nd half when Fermanagh played 2 sweepers and instead our genius of a manager got the smallest guy on the panel and brought him on. Carr is done for now and no harm.

The mf with the fluorescent gloves - (givney, is it?) was in there for a while anyway. Didnt see the soft frees, thought the ref was good, let it go plenty. But sure if what you say is true I suppose I would say that  :D

p.s. Cian Mackey was well marshalled - the fermanagh defence was excellent generally; count the number of blocks they made, I doubt there'll be more in any game this year.

pps just watching the championship here - austin o callaghan with a vuzvula (sic?). Not a highlight of his career...!

Givney went in there after the goal, too late then. Even that was stupid as he was left on 2/3 men with no other Cavan man near him - what was he supposed to do even if he did win the ball.
Exactly,Mulvey and or Galligan should have been thrown in there also,as we had nothing to lose.
also Cavan should have pushed a man in on Marty McGrath when he was sweeping up between the full and half back lines,it would at least have forced Fermanagh to alter their plans somewhat.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 13, 2010, 12:09:22 PM

Exactly,Mulvey and or Galligan should have been thrown in there also,as we had nothing to lose.
also Cavan should have pushed a man in on Marty McGrath when he was sweeping up between the full and half back lines,it would at least have forced Fermanagh to alter their plans somewhat.

Thats the big problem with Carr. Sometimes he sets up the team well but when things change or somethings not working he seems to just sit there and do nothing. I mean, everyone in the crowd around me could see a big man at FF would have worked wonders as Fermanagh struggled to deal with 1 or 2 high balls into Johnson and Mackey. I think Declan McKieranan would have caused major problems if introduced in the last 1/4. Martin Reilly coming on was just bizarre, what was the thinking behind it??

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 13, 2010, 12:20:26 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 13, 2010, 12:09:22 PM

Thats the big problem with Carr. Sometimes he sets up the team well but when things change or somethings not working he seems to just sit there and do nothing. I mean, everyone in the crowd around me could see a big man at FF would have worked wonders as Fermanagh struggled to deal with 1 or 2 high balls into Johnson and Mackey. I think Declan McKieranan would have caused major problems if introduced in the last 1/4. Martin Reilly coming on was just bizarre, what was the thinking behind it??
McKiernan would have caused them problems with his strength in there.
Martin Reily is too lightweight for IC level,he lost two balls at crucial times.
Theres just no excuse for Carr,he knew months in advance,Fermanagh would blanket Jelly and Mackey,and he still had no way around it.

ExiledGael

Delighted to finally leave Breffni Park in a good mood.
A lot of our lesser known players really stepped up to the mark, Chris O'Brien, Paul & Daniel Ward and Mulrone at times, and with Mackey quiet and Clucker doing well on Johnston it gave us the platform to go on and nick it. I thought Givney was outstanding for Cavan but after that you'd struggle for good performers. Johnston is a class act and scored a few super points but he could have done with someone to feed off inside. Nesty was impressive from dead balls.
Quigley showed his class when he came on and hopefully it gives him something to aim for now and he puts his all into his fitness and earning a start. Blobby was impressive again though him and Rory missed two shocking frees early on. Confidence should build from yesterday though.
We've dam all to lose against Monaghan who will rightly be favourites, but it'll be no stroll for them. To my mind they have three matchwinners in Finlay, Tommy Freeman and Conor McManus, if they can be reasonably held we'll not be far away.

Fermanaghandsam

Its a great feeling to finally beat Cavan, and to do it with our normal "big" guns being outshone by the new men is brilliant. I was never Paul Wards biggest fan, but last night he proved me wrong. Him, O'Brien and Daniel were excellent I thought. Mulrone was good but still takes far too much out of it and hence gives the ball away far to often for my liking. He does the hard work to get it and then over does it, lay it off first time and he will become a great defender for us!!!

Our defence done well, especially in the 2nd half, our midfield came good when we really needed them in the last 15 and it was the best display from our forwards for years. Well done lads, there is plenty of room for improvement but last night was a great start!! Keep it going men and bring on Monaghan

Rossfan

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 13, 2010, 12:24:13 PM

Thats the big problem with Carr. Sometimes he sets up the team well but when things change or somethings not working he seems to just sit there and do nothing. [/quote]

Theres just no excuse for Carr,he knew months in advance,Fermanagh would blanket Jelly and Mackey,and he still had no way around it.
[/quote]

Hmmmm... seems Tommy Truck's sideline abilities havent improved in the last 5 years :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Any craic

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on June 12, 2010, 06:50:24 PM
Enjoyed that game. Good to see lads with a bit of timber on them do well.

Jesus wept what are they feeding those boys in fermanagh?

OverThePostsAWide

Should the referee not have allowed Seanie Johnston to take that free before half-time?

1.2 DUTIES OF THE REFEREE
(vii) To record playing time, and to extend time in
each half
for deliberate or incidental delay or
to allow for a free - awarded before time had
expired - to be taken
. Should the defending
team commit a further foul before the referee
whistles for full-time, he shall further extend
the time to permit an additional free to be
taken, from which a score can be made,
provided no other player of the side taking the
free touches the ball.

The second "further extend" part would imply that not only should half/full time not be blown before the kick is taken, but also that it should not necessarily be blown immediately after the kick even.

Or did the referee deem that he had fouled the ball in some way?

haranguerer

He blew for a throw-up, as is the punishment for taking too long over frees etc, then deemed there not to be enough time to  do this, so blew for half time.

I'm sure the cavan lads will disagree, but he took an absolute age, tapping the ball off the ground a few times on three different occasions - he deserved to lose the free.

The ref was also consistent - when mccluskey took his time taking a free, due to james sherry being down injured behind him, he threw that up as well.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: haranguerer on June 14, 2010, 01:27:49 PM
He blew for a throw-up, as is the punishment for taking too long over frees etc, then deemed there not to be enough time to  do this, so blew for half time.

I'm sure the cavan lads will disagree, but he took an absolute age, tapping the ball off the ground a few times on three different occasions - he deserved to lose the free.

The ref was also consistent - when mccluskey took his time taking a free, due to james sherry being down injured behind him, he threw that up as well.
I disagree. Johnston went through his ritual of hopping the ball etc and then when he started his run up the ref said something which caused him to stop and start from scratch again. Also, common sense should prevail here. If time was up then Johnston couldn't have been wasting anybody's time so there was no need to punish him. The one that was pulled up in the second half gave about half the time given to Johnston and was your typical "leveller" IMO.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: haranguerer on June 14, 2010, 01:27:49 PM

Deserved? On what basis? Because the referee didn't like him or Cavan or both?  ::)

RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS
4.25 To waste time by delaying the taking of a free
kick or side-line kick awarded to own team.

How could Johnston be wasting time if the referee is required to extend time to allow the kick to be taken? Unless the referee's half-time cup of tea was getting cold...

Technically correct, but a bit hasty in the "balancing the books" sort of way in my view.

haranguerer

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 14, 2010, 01:52:29 PM
I disagree. Johnston went through his ritual of hopping the ball etc and then when he started his run up the ref said something which caused him to stop and start from scratch again. Also, common sense should prevail here. If time was up then Johnston couldn't have been wasting anybody's time so there was no need to punish him. The one that was pulled up in the second half gave about half the time given to Johnston and was your typical "leveller" IMO.

The ref told him presumably to go back - he'd went by the point where the free was awarded from. When he went back, he tapped the ball off the ground a few times, as is his ritual. He then stood to take it, stopped, and again tapped the ball off the ground a few times. When he stood up again after that, the ref blew.

If it was against us, I wouldnt have been happy, but I think I'd have to acknowledge that there was an inordinate length of time taken. Given the point in the game it was, I suppose it wasnt going to cause any disruption anyway though...Anyway, I was delighted to see it blown  :D

Over the posts; I said deserved because I thought he took too long to take the free. If a free is awarded just on the break, should there be no restriction whatsoever on how long it takes for it to be taken? I think its been demonstrated many times that the letter of the law and agreed best implementation are very different when it comes to GAA.