Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Quite a few people seem to think Down have no chance in this game.
I'd be worried for our midfield area again as we struggled there second half when McGourty came on.

I think if we can get enough ball into our FF line we will win OK but I'd say there will be more of a defensive barrier this time and so you could see a lot of half backs and MF running with the ball.

Tyrones own

Agreed, get her in early and often and we'll be OK
I expect a niggly enough affair with a lot of off the ball
stuff going on... it seemed to work in '08 for them >:(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

snoopdog

Quote from: gorm agus bui on June 08, 2010, 02:16:03 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 08, 2010, 01:57:31 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2010, 11:20:56 PM
Tyrone will win this handy...

The Down ones are being rather shy and subdued about such an outrageous prediction, a bit of reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse psychology perchance?
I think it is just he has an irrational dislike of Down so would not call it a prediction

Typical Armagh opinion on Down. Years of feeling deeply inferior to their Red and Black Neighbours.
Dont think Armagh got on too well last sunday. ;D ;D ;D
We know Tyrone are a top quality side and we are a year or two off challenging for an All Ireland but we wont make it easy for Tyrone.

Zapatista

Quote from: hardstation on June 08, 2010, 09:21:53 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 08, 2010, 08:37:01 PM

The Down ones are being rather shy and subdued about such an outrageous prediction, a bit of reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse psychology perchance?
I think it is just he has an irrational dislike of Down so would not call it a prediction

Typical Armagh opinion on Down. Years of feeling deeply inferior to their Red and Black Neighbours.
Dont think Armagh got on too well last sunday. ;D ;D ;D
We know Tyrone are a top quality side and we are a year or two off challenging for an All Ireland but we wont make it easy for Tyrone.
Ha ha.

Does the first line get a Ha ha?

saffron sam2

Quote from: snoopdog on June 08, 2010, 08:37:01 PM

Don't think Armagh got on too well last sunday. ;D ;D ;D
We know Tyrone are a top quality side and we are a light year or two off challenging for an All Ireland but we won't make it easy for Tyrone.

Fixed that for you.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

dodgy umpire

IMO Down are the fitter team and this will be a big asset, especially in the last ten minutes or so
The Boys in Red and Black are back

western exile

Maybe not the appropriate thread to post this, but here is today's Irish Examiner which prints Benny Coulter's opinion on the modern game
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfcwkfsnsnkf/rss2/

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: western exile on June 09, 2010, 11:22:07 AM
Maybe not the appropriate thread to post this, but here is today's Irish Examiner which prints Benny Coulter's opinion on the modern game

Interesting read there western exile.  Would not be a bad idea to start a new topic based on that article, some interesting points.  Id tend to agree with him that 13 a side would not be a bad way to go.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Zapatista

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 09, 2010, 11:32:22 AM

Interesting read there western exile.  Would not be a bad idea to start a new topic based on that article, some interesting points.  Id tend to agree with him that 13 a side would not be a bad way to go.

Sounds like sour grapes. Even after the Donegal game were he starred he is still complaining about good defences. Would a FB have been asked the same questions?

Fuzzman

I think opinions are divided on the whole topic and maybe here is not the right place to discuss it
I think if you played as a forward you will want to see forwards often beating their man and taking great scores.
Whereas if you were a defender or a spolier then you will maybe get more from stopping the other teams main men from doing well.

I only pick this out as an example but quite a lot of the Derry and Armagh lads seem to get more out of cheering when Canavan or Mugsy was dispossessed or kicked a wide than when their own team scored a good score. The focus was often on the negative side of stopping the talented star on the other side. I suppose I'm like that myself now a little with say Gooch or Star so maybe its just human nature.

I used to to always tell  the soccer & rugby heads that GAA was a much more exciting game to watch with loads of scores and not such a focus on defending but more man to man battles. I for one don't like the direction the game is going either but I suppose it is just the nature of things.
I think Armagh really upped the ante with their huge focus on improving physical strength & fitness, mental strength and team bonding and so when Tyrone got their new manager following his underage team through to senior level he had to make a decision. Do we continue playing nice fast flowing entertaining football or do we learn to compromise and play rough and defensively when we have to.

I am delighted we've won 3 AI's and thought in my 20's we never would but there is a bit of disappointment that a lot of neutrals would STILL describe Tyrone as a defensive team since 2003 who use a system of play that won them their AI's rather than great players.

Anyways, I am happy enough for people to think what they like as long as we keep winning games and if you look at our scores from play over the last 8 years I'd say it is well up there with the best.
Statto O'Neill. Are you there?

omagh_gael

I see the artist formely known as Gerry Kinneavy is the ref for the game. Lets hope we're not in for a frustrating afternoon on the 19th (although I won't be holding my breath).

Any word on the injury front? How long now before Cassidy resumes training? Gormley has declared himself fit but who will be dropped to accomodate him if he starts? Still can't see Davey losing his no 5 jersey.

snoopdog

Hard not to agree with benny. Blanket defending has killled football. Problem is it was the only way some teams could get success. Tactics are a big part of the modern day game and the current GAA rules help a defensive styled game. Maybe they should look at that as opposed to a handpass rule.
The mark in theory was a good idea dont know why they got rid of it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Benny should learn to kick longer points and just shut it  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 09, 2010, 11:12:34 PM
Benny should learn to kick longer points and just shut it  ;)

Did you not see the 50 meter effort to draw the game in Ballybofey. Benny is 100 per cent correct.

ziggysego

Tyrone v Down - Ulster Senior & Minor Football Championship Semi Final has been confirmed for Casement Park on Saturday 19th June - the game is NOT all ticket. Stand tickets only!

Facebook
Testing Accessibility