SDLP man retracts call for one big nationalist party

Started by orangeman, May 24, 2010, 05:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

SDLP's Declan O'Loan withdraws nationalist unity call

Monday, 24 May 2010 16:49 UK

The SDLP MLA Declan O'Loan has withdrawn a call for the formation of a single nationalist party after there was a furious reaction from colleagues.

Earlier, in a statement not issued through the party press office, he said he had discussed the idea with the grassroots members in north Antrim.

Mr O'Loan said that it was very strongly supported.

But he later withdrew the original statement saying it "does not represent established party policy."

Neither he nor the party are making any further comment but senior sources say the party was "furious" and that Mr O'Loan was "told in no uncertain terms to withdraw the statement".

Earlier the North Antrim assembly member said: "I believe that a major realignment of northern nationalism is now called for and I think that this means the formation of a new single nationalist party.

"The values of the SDLP and its ability to command respect and at least second preference votes across the whole community are not something that should be lost.

"In the interests of achieving Irish unity, that respect is vital."

He added: "Many nationalist voters are willing to exercise their votes interchangeably between the SDLP and Sinn Fein."

stibhan

Asking for a big nationalist party is not a good idea because the difference between the SDLP and Sinn Fein is bigger than the distance between the SDLP and the Alliance, or even the DUP and the UUP. It doesn't make sense to house people like Alaisdar McDonnell with Gerry Kelly.

Maguire01

A bit of a stupid move for O'Loan to go out on his own with a statement on something so fundamental.

As for the issue itself, I think a lot of people would still prefer a choice. Politics here should be about more than just the constitutional position.

red hander

I pity the fella, imagine having to listen to Ritchie going ballistic down a phone line  :'(

ziggysego

Of course Nigel Dodds has come out with a statement claiming that this statement show Nationalists are scared of the thought of Unionist Unity.

Testing Accessibility

orangeman

That'll teach him.   ;)

Party whip removed from SDLP's Declan O'Loan

Declan O'Loan withdrew a call for a single nationalist party The SDLP has said the party whip has been removed from the North Antrim MLA Declan O'Loan following his call for a single nationalist party.

Mr O'Loan will now not be able to meetings of the party's assembly group.

It said party leader Margaret Ritchie took action following a meeting with Mr O'Loan on Tuesday.

The party said the whip has been removed for an indefinite period which the leader will decide.

The move means he cannot vote as an SDLP member in the assembly.

On Monday, Mr O'Loan withdrew a call for the formation of a single nationalist party after there was a furious reaction from colleagues.

Earlier on Monday, in a statement not issued through the party press office, he said he had discussed the idea with the grassroots members in north Antrim.

Mr O'Loan said that it was very strongly supported.

But he later withdrew the original statement saying it "does not represent established party policy".

Earlier the North Antrim assembly member said: "I believe that a major realignment of northern nationalism is now called for and I think that this means the formation of a new single nationalist party.

"The values of the SDLP and its ability to command respect and at least second preference votes across the whole community are not something that should be lost.

"In the interests of achieving Irish unity, that respect is vital."

He added: "Many nationalist voters are willing to exercise their votes interchangeably between the SDLP and Sinn Fein."

Commenting on Tuesday's move, Sinn Fein's John O`Dowd said: "The SDLP leader's action in removing the party whip from Declan O'Loan today exposes that party leadership's identity crisis.

"It would appear from comment by other grassroots SDLP members that there is a wish for democratic debate within that party about its future direction," he said.

Tony Baloney

By renouncing violence have the shinners have they become more like the stoops rather than vice versa? I would say from some of the posts on here during the elections that current SDLP policies are miles apart from those of Sinn Fein. There were even accusations of the SDLP wanting a unionist politician to win in South Belfast and F/ST!

Is there a defection on the cards? Would the shinners want Himself and the
various councillors in Moyle?!

red hander

The Shinners will be rubbing their hands at this shenanigans among the stoops ... I've no doubt they're in his ear to jump ship since this row erupted yesterday, but my money would be on him going independent

Ulick

I don't think he had much chance of getting re-elected anyway. Better off with Fianna Fail - might have a future there but the Stoops are a beaten docket.

seafoid

Quote from: Ulick on May 25, 2010, 08:54:29 PM
I don't think he had much chance of getting re-elected anyway. Better off with Fianna Fail - might have a future there but the Stoops are a beaten docket.

Both the stoops and the UUP had the extremist party on their side moving to the centre and taking all their good positions. The UUP is dead but the stoops managed 3 MPs. WTF is the point of voting SF for Westminster anyway ? They don't even vote.   

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 25, 2010, 08:22:30 PM
By renouncing violence have the shinners have they become more like the stoops rather than vice versa? I would say from some of the posts on here during the elections that current SDLP policies are miles apart from those of Sinn Fein. There were even accusations of the SDLP wanting a unionist politician to win in South Belfast and F/ST!

Is there a defection on the cards? Would the shinners want Himself and the
various councillors in Moyle?!
He might defect, others in Moyle definitely wouldn't.  I wouldn't read anything into what people say on here, especially accusations from armchair republicans and ceasefire soldiers
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Nally Stand

Welcome back ARDMHACAABU.

You accused me of lying about three points on another thread. I challenged you to prove I lied or retract that accusation. You have yet to reply.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

red hander

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2010, 09:00:47 PM
Quote from: Ulick on May 25, 2010, 08:54:29 PM

Both the stoops and the UUP had the extremist party on their side moving to the centre and taking all their good positions. The UUP is dead but the stoops managed 3 MPs. WTF is the point of voting SF for Westminster anyway ? They don't even vote.

IMO one of the main reasons why people vote for the Shinners in general elections is because they are abstentionists ... they DON'T want them sitting at Westminster and they're making that point to the Brits by voting for them ... the influence of MPs from the north at Westminster is non-existant, the people who talk it up (eg Ritchie) are talking shite

ardmhachaabu

I called you a liar on 2 points, not 3.  Maybe that's another problem you have?  You can't count or read, eh?

It's not up to me to prove it.  It's up to you to prove otherwise but you can't because you are a f**king liar.

That's the one and only reply you are getting.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

redhander, that's straight from Adams's mouth.  Can you not think for yourself?

In 50 years time, MPs from the north will still be in Westminster.  It's time shinners gave their own people as well as the rest in their constituencies proper representation.  It will happen some day without a doubt.  They have went back on everything else after all.  No sitting in the Dail, no return to Stormont.  Don't make me f**king laugh