Heaney loses the plot

Started by longrunsthefox, May 18, 2010, 11:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Unbelievably distasteful outburst from Paddy Heaney in Irish News. Obviously taking the defeat to Armagh very badly.
His column on referees includes;

"A wise man once told me everything I ever needed to know about referees: 'They are like the sewers,' he said. 'Unpleasant but necessary."... and on it goes, "It has become de rigeur to couch any criticism of referees with constant references to the 'difficult job they have' and the 'important role they play in the game.' People should cease this practice immediately. The notion that referees might somehow withdraw their services is utterly ridiculous. Where else can they claim centre stage in an stadium packed with 80,000 supporters? What other outlet would allow them to dominate the agenda of a popular television programme? Those who don't think that referees enjoy the limelight, whether it is criticism or praise, just don't understand the perversity of a referee's brain.
Like politicians, a question mark should immediately be placed over the head of any individual who wants to blow a whistle. The very desire to become  a gaelic football referee points to a serious flaw in an individual's psychological composition. Sheer logic dictates that there must be a fundamental maladjustment in anyone who wants to referee a game that has no clearly defined tackle. It is an unhealthy craving for attention and a pathetic need to exert control which drives them into unsuspecting football grounds. ..."    and on it goes...

After hammering a few individual named refs.. he concludes,
"Referees don't deserve any sympathy. They are proving themselves to be a liability and a solution must be sought. I would go for the neuclear option and put them in a room with Naill Cahalane ( He earlier alludes to Cahalane being tough). The man who silences Pat Spillane might knock some sense into them."

It is fair to say none of this is taken out of context with the article. While he makes good points about the fouls called and not called at the weekend, if ever there was an incitement to verbally abuse (or worse) a referee this is it. Also doesn't explain the motive of hundreds of refs who do club matches every week at junior, underage and every other level. Any potential referee would think twice about taking up the young whistlers courses after reading this cowardly dirge.
Shocking article.

jodyb

Am I having deja vu, or did you not already post this?   :-\

ONeill

Yes, he took a while before the Derry grapes were evident.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: jodyb on May 18, 2010, 11:56:36 PM
Am I having deja vu, or did you not already post this?   :-\

I did and shortly after decided it weren't worth posting and deleted it and then changed my mind again. It happens! Sorry that a couple of comments went with it. It'll stay this time.     

Lar Naparka

Foxy, me ole buddy, is it possible that you are overreacting to Heaney's take on referees?
For my money, this was a tongue in cheek article and wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I know next to nothing about Heaney but I'd swear that this is a windup effort.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

longrunsthefox

I really don't think it is and if you read the article even what I posted there is no sign of humour in it at all. 
As well as tearing into named refs he states..."sheer logic dictates that there must be a fundamental maladjustment in anyone who wants to referee a game that has no clearly defined tackle. It is an unhealthy craving for attention and a pathetic need to exert control which drives them into unsuspecting football grounds. ..." 
If that is a windup, it is in very poor taste and certainly no-one I spoke to took it as that.   

Pangurban

Disgraceful article, full of idiotic opinions and glib phrases. Paper never refuses ink, and the Irish News dont care about the quality of the hacks they employ to spill it, as long as they create a little controversy and grab some attention.

Winnie Peg

I thought it was a brilliant article from a brilliant journalist who is noit afraid to say it as he sees it. It is about time someone spoke out about this protected species whose only concern is  "me, me, me" and how I can take all the attention away from the players and heap it on him.
Remember, they are very well paid for their work and as for club referees, it is a verey lucrative sideline in these recessionary times, when you think thgat between adult and underage they could be refereeing four games per week without even taking the very well paid colleges into consideration.

tyssam5

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 19, 2010, 01:20:42 AM
I really don't think it is and if you read the article even what I posted there is no sign of humour in it at all. 
As well as tearing into named refs he states..."sheer logic dictates that there must be a fundamental maladjustment in anyone who wants to referee a game that has no clearly defined tackle. It is an unhealthy craving for attention and a pathetic need to exert control which drives them into unsuspecting football grounds. ..." 
If that is a windup, it is in very poor taste and certainly no-one I spoke to took it as that.

"drives them into unsuspecting football grounds. ..."

So you took that literally, in that football grounds can have suspicions or lack thereof?
It black humour in my opinion, but he has a point to who in their right mind would want to be a ref?

tyssam5

Quote from: Winnie Peg on May 19, 2010, 09:16:27 AM
I thought it was a brilliant article from a brilliant journalist who is noit afraid to say it as he sees it. It is about time someone spoke out about this protected species whose only concern is  "me, me, me" and how I can take all the attention away from the players and heap it on him.
Remember, they are very well paid for their work and as for club referees, it is a verey lucrative sideline in these recessionary times, when you think thgat between adult and underage they could be refereeing four games per week without even taking the very well paid colleges into consideration.

Is it well paid? How much do you get a game? How come there's not neutral linesmen at senior club games then? I get a ref and two neutral linemen in the mickey-mouse soccer league I play in. They are normal completely useless, but they are neutral

Bensars

I thought it was a brilliant article from a brilliant journalist who is noit afraid to say it as he sees it. It is about time someone spoke out about this protected species whose only concern is  "me, me, me" and how I can take all the attention away from the players and heap it on him.Remember, they are very well paid for their work and as for club referees, it is a verey lucrative sideline in these recessionary times, when you think thgat between adult and underage they could be refereeing four games per week without even taking the very well paid colleges into consideration.

Are you referring to the referees or Heaney himself ? That sentence highlighted could refer to both !

TacadoirArdMhacha

£20 to cover expenses for an underage match. Hardly making a fortune.

Pathetic article and I certainly wouldn't be at all sure that he was joking.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Man Marker

a club referee well paid for their work!!!!!! if you think what they for expenses is well paid you must get a piss poor salary for your job. They get pittance for the job they do at club level.  I respect the job they do! Its one thing giving up your time working for your own club , but to ref two teams in a game that have nothing to do with you and get insulted from the start of the game until the finish on a good night. You are the type of gael the association could do without.

mackers

We all get frustrated by poor refereeing decisions at times but the article is way OTT. I'm sure referees are as annoyed about these new rules as the players and spectators are, any common sense that referees have is being put out of them by Croke Park!! Brolly's comment about what the referee's assessor said about Pat McEneaney rings true.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Winnie Peg

Man Marker, I'm only talking on referee's expenses not their full time job and what I earn has no relevance  whatsoever. I suppose in comparison to what some managers earn, it is only a pittance.
[Removed]