Heaney loses the plot

Started by longrunsthefox, May 18, 2010, 11:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: AFS on May 20, 2010, 03:16:54 PM
Quote from: thewanderer on May 20, 2010, 03:04:47 PM
An absolutely disgracefull article from a self professed knowall of the gaa. how dare he brand honest hard working club members/ referees like that. He for gets that he wasn't much of a player himself in fact he was pretty useless as a senior footballer.

What's that got to do with the article?

Maybe that referees, like players, might try their hardest and still come up a bit short?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: muppet on May 20, 2010, 03:06:33 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 19, 2010, 12:15:45 AM
Quote from: jodyb on May 18, 2010, 11:56:36 PM
Am I having deja vu, or did you not already post this?   :-\

I did and shortly after decided it weren't worth posting and deleted it and then changed my mind again. It happens! Sorry that a couple of comments went with it. It'll stay this time.   

Are you a Gaa referee?

Am not sure if you are asking me or Jodyb that question or why you ask it. Anyway, no I am not  a ref tho I have refeered games at under age blitzs which are no hazzle and done U12 and U14 were coaches can be crazy. Don't know does that make me like a 'sewer' as Heaney suggests or an attention seeker.
I see Brendan Crossan defended him yesterday by quoting Billy Connolly, " Political correctness is the language of cowardice." Certainly if Heaney thinks his piece was humour he is no Billy Connolly.  I still don't believe it was  tongue in cheek as it was loaded with nastiness and anger.  He has done irony before and at times quite well... this was not irony... not a chance. As for 'cowardice' as McCrossan says... the article was very cowardly at an easy target and priceless him accusing refs of attention seeking  ::)

southsidejohnny

Heany was correct. Most referees are brutal and totally inconsistant. And like Heaney I too wonder why any body would want to subject themselves to interpreting a set of rules that are as pliable as elastic. Ine mans idea of a free in is another mans idea of a free out. Worse, I have seen refs award a free in to a team for charging and a free out to the same team at the other end when the opponent tried the same. We would be better off with out them. Heaney is correct and I hope he wasnt joking.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: southsidejohnny on May 21, 2010, 07:44:31 PM
Heany was correct. Most referees are brutal and totally inconsistant. And like Heaney I too wonder why any body would want to subject themselves to interpreting a set of rules that are as pliable as elastic. Ine mans idea of a free in is another mans idea of a free out. Worse, I have seen refs award a free in to a team for charging and a free out to the same team at the other end when the opponent tried the same. We would be better off with out them. Heaney is correct and I hope he wasnt joking.

Idea of the year... don't have referees  :D

orangeman

Plot lost again in yesterday's Irish News. He wants to do away with the Soldier's song and replace it with one that is acceptable to unionists.

LOL.

He's clearly in wind up mode.

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 22, 2010, 11:35:38 PM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on May 21, 2010, 07:44:31 PM

Idea of the year... don't have referees  :D

It would be in line with pre-1884 tradition. If we also abolished the rules we would be honouring the true origins and traditions of the game.
MWWSI 2017

red hander

Quote from: orangeman on May 11, 2011, 11:23:53 AM
Plot lost again in yesterday's Irish News. He wants to do away with the Soldier's song and replace it with one that is acceptable to unionists.

LOL.

He's clearly in wind up mode.

I actually couldn't believe what I was reading yesterday.  If you'd have swapped his byline pic with that of Myers you couldn't have told the difference ... makes Marie Louise McCrory read like a treatise from 20 Nobel Laureates discussing nuclear fission (and peach-flavoured lipstick, obviously)