Munster 1st round Cork V Tipp

Started by Reillers, May 16, 2010, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Sean Og creating his own siege mentality :

Seán Óg O Hailpín is determined to prove his critics wrong when Cork take on Tipperary in the Munster SHC on Sunday.

O hAilpín was substituted with 20 minutes left in the league final against Galway three weeks ago after being run ragged by Damien Hayes and commentators have since questioned whether the defender is up to the pace of the championship.

'A lot of people have me written off. They say I'm too old. My pace is gone. All of this stuff is being bandied around, O hAilpín said in the Irish Examiner.

'But if anyone knows my history, I've been written off since I was a kid, when I got "What the hell is this half-Fijian doing playing hurling?" I've been used to it for the last 20 years.

'Something like this is normal when you're Séan Óg O hAilpín.'

Despite this, he concedes that he is no longer a definite starter in Denis Walsh's side.

'Myself and the other 35 fellas won't know if we're on the team until Thursday night when Denis Walsh calls out the team so until then you just have to take it that your place is up for grabs'.'

'I can't say now that I'm definitely going to start Sunday. In years gone by I might have had myself down as a certainty on the team but after having a bad league final, I know I'm not a guarantee for next Sunday. It would be foolish for me to think I'm a certainty for the team, especially after being taken off against Galway.

He continued: 'Denis will pull out the piece of paper when we get on the pitch at 7pm next Thursday, and I just hope my name is on it. If it is, I'm going to have to repay that faith because I've no doubt that Denis is going to be under pressure if he plays me.

The defender knows that given Cork's poor recent record against Tipperary, Sunday's encounter will demand a big performance from the Rebels. But he is confident that the team have done their homework.

'Tipp might be favourites going into next week but we see it as a 50-50 ball game. What happens during the game determines whether it will go 60-40 or 70-30 one way or another, but before the ball is thrown-in it's the toss of a coin.

'Preparation has gone well. With a week to go, realistically all the work is done at this stage. The work for next Sunday started back in January. Preparation for the Tipperary game didn't start after defeat against Galway in the league final. It wasn't like we had to change things drastically. Yes, we had to tweak stuff but the groundwork and the solid foundations were put in with three solid months in January, February and March.

'The conditioning, the hurling, the power, the stamina, the analysis - that's all done.

'This week will be about keeping focused and being selfish. You have to be selfish - the most important thing this week is ourselves.'

INDIANA

Heading down to this. Can't wait. Unfortunately the backdoor has taken the edge of these games.

Reillers

The Cork team to play Tipperary in Sunday's Munster Championship Quarter-Final at 4pm in Páirc Uí Chaoimh is as follows:

1. Donal Og Cusack (Cloyne)
2. Shane O'Neill (Bishopstown)
3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
4. Brian Murphy (Bride Rovers)
5. John Gardiner (Na Piarsaigh)
6. Ronan Curran (St. Finbarr's)
7. Sean Og Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
8. Tom Kenny (Grenagh)
9. Cathal Naughton (Newtownshandrum)
10. Ben O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
11. Jerry O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
12. Niall McCarthy (Carrigtwohill)
13. Kieran Murphy (Sarsfields) - Captain
14. Aisake Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
15. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
16. Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)
17. Shane Murphy (Erin's Own)
18. Eoin Dillon (Milford)
19. Conor O'Sullivan (Sarsfields)
20. Ray Ryan (Sarsfields)
21. Michael Walsh (Kildorrery)
22. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
23. Michael Cussen (Sarsfields)
24. Paudie O'Sullivan (Cloyne)
25. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
26. Mark O'Sullivan (Dripsey)
27. Tadgh Og Murphy (Sarsfields)
28. Graham Callanan (Glen Rovers)
29. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
30. Luke O'Farrell (Midleton)

Eh..Looks a bit too much like the old guard, but it's pretty strong, happy with Jerry starting there though. It's the first time this season if memory serves me right, that the twins start together, and the play off eachother really well.
It's a pretty strong ream.
Would have been not too happy with Aisake starting on League form but he's played well in the challenge games, was the stand out performer in the last game, scored 3-03 or something like that, he's played well enough though, and not to mention he caused Tipp all kinds of bother before Walsh moved him in the league game.

Donal Og's starting, no big surprise there, I just hope his hold friend doesn't send him off, and hopfeully he'll give him no reason to have a go at him, wouldn't have the stomach to watch them play Tipp a man down.
If I'm honest would have much prefered Paudie Sull to start, but we'll see how it goes.

Looking at the team again I'm not fully sure that's what'll start. Thought they were delaying the announcement till Thurs to give everyone a chance to recover, last I heard TK was 50/50 at best. Still might expect a few changes to be made.
Happy with Naughton in the mid though. Love watching him cause all kinds of trouble, not a player who can match his speed, hopefully his brain will be up with the pace of his legs though.

Can't wait now. Will be there, Indy the backdoor does take the edge of the game a bit, but if there was no back door you'd be loosing teams like Tipp/Cork/Waterford extremley early on and you'd be left with a shite championship.

Sean3

Irish Times today - one to bring back the memories

Matchless Tipp reclaim title

FROM THE ARCHIVE MONDAY, JULY 22nd, 1991: The 1989 Munster and All-Ireland winners Tipperary met defending champions Cork in the summer of 1991 in the provincial decider. After a enthralling draw in Cork, the sides resumed hostilities in Thurles. Here is Paddy
Downey' s report of a famous replay at Semple Stadium.

WORDS LIKE these which appear in cold print on Monday morning cannot capture the wild delirium which surged in great waves round Semple Stadium, Thurles, yesterday in the final minutes of the replayed Munster hurling final.

In those minutes the great game swayed on a razor's edge, but when referee Terence Murray blew the final whistle Cork, champions of 1990, were dethroned and the matchless men of Tipperary has regained the Munster title – their fourth victory in five years and third over Cork.

Even neutral spectators in the huge attendance (official all-ticket figure 55,000, but there must have been 60,000 tightly packed into the stadium) were dazed by the throbbing tension and the astonishing manner in which Tipperary fought back from the brink of defeat.

It was more than astonishing, if the right word could be found to describe what had seemed impossible coming up to the end of the third quarter.

Seldom if ever before has any team in any game faced such a test of character. And it was character, sheer indomitable spirit – plus other factors which we shall come to presently – that won the title for them.

Tipperary looked dead and buried when trailing by nine points in the 14th minute of the second half. Like the tall ships, Cork were sailing away with the Munster crown in the humid heat of Semple Stadium.

But the defending champions struck something resembling the Rock of Cashel. In a bewildering spell of 13 minutes, Tipperary scored 2-5 – to which Cork replied with only one point from a magnificent 50-yard sideline puck by Cathal Casey – and the home team were in front with eight minutes of normal time to go.

Tipperary held that lead for only one minute, for Cork's midfield substitute Pat Buckley, who made a big impact when he entered the game 10 minutes before half-time, levelled the scores with a lovely point off the ground – and extra time was now looming.

Tipperary's thrust at this time from John Leahy, Joe Hayes and Aidan Ryan around midfield could not be stopped, however, and when the end came after six minutes of added time (a second half of 41 minutes) the challengers were in front by four points.

Most of that extension was caused by the deplorable invasion of the pitch, twice, by exuberant Tipperary supporters who were overflowing in their hundreds inside the perimeter wall on the Killinan end of the ground.

There was nothing rowdy about these incursions, however – young people were unable to contain their joy when Pat Fox and Aidan Ryan scored crucial goals.

The standard of the hurling was not consistently as high as in the drawn game at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on July 7th. But it was good enough at least to please the most discerning critics, and in the last quarter, and added time, it was excellent.

The Munster final this year must at last stop in their tracks the protagonists of the open draw.

Surely they cannot be allowed to kill this incomparable institution of Irish sport.

Cork will wonder how they let the game slip away when they seemed to have it totally in control – as they had at Páirc Uí Chaoimh. They were ahead at half-time by four points – 2-8 to 1-7 – and they shut their opponents out through most of the third quarter .

Between them, the full forwards – John Fitzgibbon, Ger Fitzgerald and Kevin Hennessy – scored four goals and three points. The champions also took over at midfield when Buckley came on to partner Teddy McCarthy. But they could not copperfasten their advantage.

The answer to the question posed is simple: this Tipperary team possess extraordinary character and many great hurlers.

Leahy was outstanding. His switch from the attack to midfield was a master stroke. Aidan Ryan and Hayes were splendid substitutes.

The contributions of the corner forwards Michael Cleary and Pat Fox were vital: they scored 1-7 and 1-5 respectively.

Declan Ryan played his part in different positions and Cormac Bonnar was unstoppable late in the game.

In defence, Bobby Ryan and Conal Bonnar were sound when the big effort was needed. Colm Bonnar was very effective in that sector too when he moved from midfield, and Ken Hogan could not be blamed for any of Cork's four goals. He made some fine saves.

Nicholas English was unable to line out because of injury, but on the day his absence was not a handicap. His replacement, Donie O'Connell, lined out at centre forward where he broke down several high balls, but not fruitfully, and Declan Ryan moved to the right wing while Cleary went into the left corner.

Cork selector and county board secretary Frank Murphy expressed his team's anger at the pitch invasion during the second half of the final and said that his board "will be taking the matter up with the Munster Council".

Murphy said that the Cork goalkeeper was struck twice by coins and was interfered with when pucking the ball out.

How They Lined Out

TIPPERARY: K Hogan; P Delaney, N Sheehy, M Ryan; J Madden, B Ryan, Conal Bonnar; D Carr (1-1), Colm Bonnar; D Ryan (0-2), D O'Connell, J Leahy (0-2); P Fox (1-5), Cormac Bonnar (0-1), M Cleary (1-7, 2fs). Subs: A Ryan (1-1) for O'Connell (half-time); J Hayes for Madden (40 mins).

CORK: G Cunningham; S O'Gorman, R Browne, D Walsh; C Casey (0-1, sideline), J Cashman (0-3, one 65, 1f), P Hartnett; B O'Sullivan, T McCarthy; T Mulcahy (0-1), M Foley, T O'Sullivan (0-6, 4f); G Fitzgerald (1-2), K Hennessy (1-0), J Fitzgibbon (2-1, goal from free). Subs: P Buckley (O-1) for B O'Sullivan (25 mins).

Referee: T Murray (Limerick).

bottlethrower7

Naughton is midfield or nothing I reckon. Hes not really tough enough to mix it anywhere else. He needs to be where theres ample space to run around in. He can do a decent job there so long as theres a grafter alongside him doing the donkey work. Midfield is one area where Cork can, and probably will, get the better of Tipp.

But it all smacks of the running game yet again, and is that really wise given the personnel, their age profile, etc?

From Cork's point of view I'd be a little worried about Cadogan's relative inexperience. I think the half-back line will hold up fine, given thats not an area Tipp are overly strong in themselves. The forward line don't exactly strike the fear of god though. I can't recall ever seeing JOC play at 11 before. As Relliers says, it could be a dummy lineup, but if its not, whatever strengths JOC does have (and he has plenty), being a target man ain't one of them.

I don't know how far Cussen is from full fitness, but even half-right I'd  have given him the nod at 14 over Aisaike. I'd expect Maher at 3 for Tipp, meaning that regardless who Cork have at 14, Maher will eat them alive if they try and hurl him. Trying to outmuscle him with a giant like Cussen could be a different story though. Not that Maher can't mix it physically - he can - but against someone as big as Cussen, provided he'd be willing to use his size (in the league it didn't seem he used it to that great effect), it could pose problems.

Corks problem will be up front. The game will be a contest for the large part, but lack of free-scoring forwards will mean a small gap will eventually become big, Corks heads will drop, and Tipp will run out comfortable winners in the last 10 or so. I stand by my earlier prediction of Tipp to win this by >10 points.

Reillers

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 27, 2010, 09:47:31 AM
Naughton is midfield or nothing I reckon. Hes not really tough enough to mix it anywhere else. He needs to be where theres ample space to run around in. He can do a decent job there so long as theres a grafter alongside him doing the donkey work. Midfield is one area where Cork can, and probably will, get the better of Tipp.

But it all smacks of the running game yet again, and is that really wise given the personnel, their age profile, etc?

From Cork's point of view I'd be a little worried about Cadogan's relative inexperience. I think the half-back line will hold up fine, given thats not an area Tipp are overly strong in themselves. The forward line don't exactly strike the fear of god though. I can't recall ever seeing JOC play at 11 before. As Relliers says, it could be a dummy lineup, but if its not, whatever strengths JOC does have (and he has plenty), being a target man ain't one of them.

I don't know how far Cussen is from full fitness, but even half-right I'd  have given him the nod at 14 over Aisaike. I'd expect Maher at 3 for Tipp, meaning that regardless who Cork have at 14, Maher will eat them alive if they try and hurl him. Trying to outmuscle him with a giant like Cussen could be a different story though. Not that Maher can't mix it physically - he can - but against someone as big as Cussen, provided he'd be willing to use his size (in the league it didn't seem he used it to that great effect), it could pose problems.

Corks problem will be up front. The game will be a contest for the large part, but lack of free-scoring forwards will mean a small gap will eventually become big, Corks heads will drop, and Tipp will run out comfortable winners in the last 10 or so. I stand by my earlier prediction of Tipp to win this by >10 points.

Naughton's after toughening up a bit, he can and has mainly for Cork played out up front, but his best position is midfield. He's after getting a lot stronger and has improved a lot with Newtown this year, able to win his own ball as well, which he wasn't always able to do.

I don't know what we're going to do, Walsh has tried to really get the long game going but the team isn't fully sure how to play it, the "twin towers" of such, don't seem to be able to actually win the ball, so when things get tough they all end up going back to the oh so predictable short running game which hasn't worked really since 06.
At least it's not a full Newtown midfield because we'd have their game style going in about 30 seconds I'd say.

Cadogan is a very strong confident player and one thing about the young Cork players is that they don't lack confidence, it's never been a problem. He'll do just fine. He's the last person I'd be worried about.

The forward line is a bit worrying.
Fraggie hadn't the best League, and hopefully, we all presume anyway that Paudie Sull will be the first one on if he doesn't produce. That said, we tend to see the best of him when he comes on in the last 20 plus.

Jerry is good up at the HF line, and he's playing with Ben, first time this season I think, except maybe one game, when they've started together, they're able to work and create good scores off eachother which is great. He's played there before and I think it's the best position for him these days. But you're right he's not exactly a target man, worryingly the only one in the HF line who'd win you ugly ball is Niall McCarthy.

I'm not sure that's how we'll line out come the game itself. It's the line up for the programme, but I can't see it standing as the one after the throw in.
Aisake has been dire in the League, but he's done well since in challenge matches, he scored around 3-03 there a few days ago, (not saying much) but that score on any day is a good day.
But if you remember, when we played Tipp, we started Aisake at FF on Maher, and hear caused him all sorts of problems, and Walsh was quick to move him, he had seen what he needed and didn't want Tipp to see anymore.
That said if TK doesn't start, it'd probably mean Cussen at wing or centre forward rotating with AOH, and Jerry in the middle with Naughton.

It's not my first choice of a team, but it's got it's positives, and hopefully we'll pull it off, name for name we're not better than Tipp in this one, we'll just hope that we'll pull it off on the day. We should have last year, never mind the year before that, a 7 point lead like..should have been dead and burried.

But no if I had to pick the highlight of that team it'd be Naughton starting in the middle, last year he wasn't really with it, none of them were to be fair, but he's come on a hell of a lot this season with the club and while I used to think there was no one better to come off the bench with 20 mins to go, I mean he'd be a nightmare to have to mark at 50 mins of playing, hot tired, and he's thrown on. I'm not sure there's a player out there who can match him for his speed at the moment.
But he's after improving so much and it's good to see him starting.

I think we can pull this one out of the bag. No fear, down at home. Surely it's our turn ffs. Laws of averages and all.

bottlethrower7

The Tipp team

1.    Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
2.    Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)                   
3.    Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
4.    Paul Curran (Mullinahone)             
5.    Declan Fanning (Killenaule)             
6.    Conor O'Mahony (Newport)                     
7.    Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)   
8.    Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)                   
9.    Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)                     
10.    Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)       
11.    Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)                 
12.    John O'Brien (Toomevara)             
13.    Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone)     Captain           
14.    Brian O'Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)     
15.    Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

A few new faces in there since last year. Hard to comment on the likes of O'Meara and Cahill as I haven't seen either play. Maybe one of the Tipp lads can give us some insight from knowing them through the club scene.

It looks a patchy enough team really though, if one weren't to give the new lads the benefit of the doubt. As if Sheedy is spreading out the potential 'weak links' throughout the team.

I reckoned a while back that Tipp wouldn't be as good this year as they were last and, unless some of these new lads turn out to be overnight stars, I reckon thats gonna come to pass. They were a handful of players short of being a truly outstanding outfit last year, and it seems that handful has grown (though, as said, that assertion could be proved wrong in time).

Even the lads who have been Tipp's bigger players in the last while would have slight question marks over them. Eoin Kelly for example. Every yard of pace he loses is proving to be more limiting for him. Last year his main objectives seemed to be to win frees and take frees. Winning frees necessitates being able to get the ball in the first place. If Kelly has slowed up yet more since last year, he could be inneffective this time out. His hurling ability is unquestionable though, so I wouldn't be too quick to write him off.

The younger lads like Callinan and McGrath are going to have more questions asked of them this year too. Both those are the obvious focus of Tipp's half-forward line (John O'Brien is way too inconsistent to be relying on him), and that line is going to be crucial to how Tipp fare in the championship this year. If those guys can step up to the plate then the year could be long. If not, its going to kill their chances I reckon. And I wouldn't be so quick to call how I can see it going - I'd still question McGrath's temperment somewhat - a fabulous player, but one who still needs to come out of his shell a little more. Callinan is more along the Lar Corbett lines in that his hurling is far from polished, but hes such a danger with ball in hand. Again, as per Callinan and McGrath, Corbett will also need a big year if Tipp are to succeed this year.

From Cork's point of view, I'd be a little more confident that they can beat Tipp based on this team selection. There are obvious potential weaknesses to be targetted. If they turn out to be actual weaknesses, then who knows what fruit it might yield. A well-devised game-plan, one that will hit Tipp at their weak-spots, while also trying to neutralise their strengths (curbing Maher and O'Mahony's influence for one), is one way they could prevail.

But have they the players to do it? A problem thats persisted with Cork this last while is that I reckon they're still fully unsure themselves of how good they are.

I still reckon Tipp. Maybe I'd revise the margin down somewhat, having seen the Tipp team, but it looks like they too have a bit of a ways to go themselves before convincing that they're the proposition they were last year.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on May 26, 2010, 12:37:29 PM

Donal Og's starting, no big surprise there, I just hope his hold friend doesn't send him off,

If Donal Óg behaves himself then there'll be no reason to.

Looking forward to this - first big game of the championship.

heffo

Quote from: Sean3 on May 26, 2010, 01:23:24 PM

Cork selector and county board secretary Frank Murphy expressed his team's anger at the pitch invasion during the second half of the final and said that his board "will be taking the matter up with the Munster Council".

Frank grafting away for Cork GAA - he doesn't get half the credit he deserves.

INDIANA

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 28, 2010, 09:58:50 AM
The Tipp team

1.    Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
2.    Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)                   
3.    Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
4.    Paul Curran (Mullinahone)             
5.    Declan Fanning (Killenaule)             
6.    Conor O'Mahony (Newport)                     
7.    Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)   
8.    Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)                   
9.    Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)                     
10.    Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)       
11.    Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)                 
12.    John O'Brien (Toomevara)             
13.    Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone)     Captain           
14.    Brian O'Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)     
15.    Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

A few new faces in there since last year. Hard to comment on the likes of O'Meara and Cahill as I haven't seen either play. Maybe one of the Tipp lads can give us some insight from knowing them through the club scene.

It looks a patchy enough team really though, if one weren't to give the new lads the benefit of the doubt. As if Sheedy is spreading out the potential 'weak links' throughout the team.

I reckoned a while back that Tipp wouldn't be as good this year as they were last and, unless some of these new lads turn out to be overnight stars, I reckon thats gonna come to pass. They were a handful of players short of being a truly outstanding outfit last year, and it seems that handful has grown (though, as said, that assertion could be proved wrong in time).

Even the lads who have been Tipp's bigger players in the last while would have slight question marks over them. Eoin Kelly for example. Every yard of pace he loses is proving to be more limiting for him. Last year his main objectives seemed to be to win frees and take frees. Winning frees necessitates being able to get the ball in the first place. If Kelly has slowed up yet more since last year, he could be inneffective this time out. His hurling ability is unquestionable though, so I wouldn't be too quick to write him off.

The younger lads like Callinan and McGrath are going to have more questions asked of them this year too. Both those are the obvious focus of Tipp's half-forward line (John O'Brien is way too inconsistent to be relying on him), and that line is going to be crucial to how Tipp fare in the championship this year. If those guys can step up to the plate then the year could be long. If not, its going to kill their chances I reckon. And I wouldn't be so quick to call how I can see it going - I'd still question McGrath's temperment somewhat - a fabulous player, but one who still needs to come out of his shell a little more. Callinan is more along the Lar Corbett lines in that his hurling is far from polished, but hes such a danger with ball in hand. Again, as per Callinan and McGrath, Corbett will also need a big year if Tipp are to succeed this year.

From Cork's point of view, I'd be a little more confident that they can beat Tipp based on this team selection. There are obvious potential weaknesses to be targetted. If they turn out to be actual weaknesses, then who knows what fruit it might yield. A well-devised game-plan, one that will hit Tipp at their weak-spots, while also trying to neutralise their strengths (curbing Maher and O'Mahony's influence for one), is one way they could prevail.

But have they the players to do it? A problem thats persisted with Cork this last while is that I reckon they're still fully unsure themselves of how good they are.

I still reckon Tipp. Maybe I'd revise the margin down somewhat, having seen the Tipp team, but it looks like they too have a bit of a ways to go themselves before convincing that they're the proposition they were last year.
I wouldn't agree with any of that. thats a better tipp side then last year. As people will see on Sunday.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2010, 01:06:32 PM
I wouldn't agree with any of that. thats a better tipp side then last year. As people will see on Sunday.

I'd imagine most Tipp folks would be happy enough with an average enough performance, once they see signs that suggest better to come. If Tipp show themselves to be better than last year in this sunday's game, I reckon they don't have a hope of winning the all-Ireland (peaking too soon, etc).

First round munster is typically a notch below the late summer knockout stuff. Once both sides see signs that they can improve enough to be in the shake-up come late summer, I'm sure both will be happy.

INDIANA

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 28, 2010, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2010, 01:06:32 PM

I'd imagine most Tipp folks would be happy enough with an average enough performance, once they see signs that suggest better to come. If Tipp show themselves to be better than last year in this sunday's game, I reckon they don't have a hope of winning the all-Ireland (peaking too soon, etc).

First round munster is typically a notch below the late summer knockout stuff. Once both sides see signs that they can improve enough to be in the shake-up come late summer, I'm sure both will be happy.

Thats why Sheedy is bedding in players now. I think its potentially a far better team. But we will have to see how they perform on the day.

Reillers

I genuinely can't wait now. Tipp v Cork. This is the Munster Champioship, and you've got fools, Leinster GAA type who want to break it all up. Them and their twisted priorities. Nothing much beats a day out in Munster. I'm looking forward to a good day out, I'd love to win it, and I think we could pull it off, but I think both coaches will be wanting to learn something from the game. The back door isn't the end of the world for either team. Looking at the Tipp team, I'm kinda worried about this  O'Meara lad..nobody seems to know anything about him, a bit too quiet for my liking. I suppose we'll see on the weekend.

Either way, I can't wait. A real buzz about the place now.

Summer's finally here.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: heffo on May 28, 2010, 12:13:59 PM

Donal Og's starting, no big surprise there, I just hope his hold friend doesn't send him off,

No, and its not unprecedented either. I recall Liam Dunne going off on one about Pat Horan in his book. The following year in the club championship Oulart played the Village in the club championship and the ref was none other than Mr.Horan. Dunne went over to him to shake hands in a 'no hard feelings' sort of way before the game. Donal Og might be advised to do likewise.

Reillers

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 28, 2010, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: heffo on May 28, 2010, 12:13:59 PM

No, and its not unprecedented either. I recall Liam Dunne going off on one about Pat Horan in his book. The following year in the club championship Oulart played the Village in the club championship and the ref was none other than Mr.Horan. Dunne went over to him to shake hands in a 'no hard feelings' sort of way before the game. Donal Og might be advised to do likewise.

All right I know on the best of days we're paranoid as f**k, but really this ref has had it in for him for years.

He's never straight with him either. I mean the game against Galway where he sent DOC off. The first yellow wasn't neccesary, and when he gave him the second he was almost beside himself with delight, the grin on his face, I mean f**k it, at least try and hide the pleasure in it. Even the lads commentating on it said he had it in for him.
He's not consistant at all in what he wants, always contradicting himself from game to game.

He seriously has had it in for him and the team over the years. Hopefully he'll go unnoticed and just refs the game rightly. I don't have the stomach to watch us play a man down because Kelly saw the opportunity..again..to screw us over.