Munster 1st round Cork V Tipp

Started by Reillers, May 16, 2010, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on June 01, 2010, 02:37:10 PM
Babs is a bitter mouth piece, how can he come out and stab guys in the back that he used to train and manage. No decency about the man whatsoever.

Thought the match was great intesity wise, Cork definitely got that part right. I dont think their hurling was particularly good. They closed Tipp down all over and didnt give them a second. Also was good to see the adapting to the new tatic of Ohalpin on the edge of the square def gave them an added dimension.

Be interesting to see them next time out if they can rise to that level again, plus people will have caught on to the direct route tactic.

I think it might be the catalyst fot Tipp in a strange way, throw off the caution and just really go for it!

He's certainly well balanced with chips on both shoulders is our Babs. His wee dig about Sheedy not having won an AI as a player is a bit petty all the same.
Nice of him to offer to sit down with Sheedy and the Co board to help out, the arrogance of the man knows no bounds.
No wonder Sean McGuinness was going to box the ears of him way years ago.

bottlethrower7

or maybe Babs is a psychological genius. Sure didn't comments he made once inspire Offaly to win an all-Ireland?

I wonder if he'll get a mention when Tipp win the all-Ireland, having used Babs' comments as their motivation to do so?

INDIANA

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on June 02, 2010, 08:44:23 AM
or maybe Babs is a psychological genius. Sure didn't comments he made once inspire Offaly to win an all-Ireland?

I wonder if he'll get a mention when Tipp win the all-Ireland, having used Babs' comments as their motivation to do so?

True but the idea that Sheedy should have sat down with the Great One prior to the job is ludricrous. The idea that sheedy isn't up to it because he didn't win an all-ireland as a player again is ridiculous. Bitter bitter man.

Sean3

Quote from: INDIANA on June 02, 2010, 09:22:39 AM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on June 02, 2010, 08:44:23 AM

True but the idea that Sheedy should have sat down with the Great One prior to the job is ludricrous. The idea that sheedy isn't up to it because he didn't win an all-ireland as a player again is ridiculous. Bitter bitter man.

Babs is a great man at helping teams win All-Irelands. Sure didn't he help the donkeys of Cork win the derby back in 1990?

AZOffaly

And the Sheep in a Heap in 1998.

orangeman

Tipp star says former mentor Keating should 'think twice' before criticism
Tipperary midfielder Shane McGrath hit back at stinging criticism from within the county last night by insisting that one defeat won't floor their championship challenge.

McGrath admitted comments from former manager Michael 'Babs' Keating and former secretary Tommy Barrett were "not helpful" to the team's recovery.

Keating had accused the Tipperary hurlers of failing the county and predicted that they would not have the capacity to work their way through the qualifiers. It's not the first time Babs has criticised players he worked with without success between 2005 and 2007.

critics

McGrath has urged critics such as Keating to "think twice" about what they say in the future.

"Babs is a pundit. If people say these things, maybe they should think twice about saying them, but they don't and they say these things so they'll sell papers or they'll be listened to. I'd always thank Babs for giving me my chance in inter-county hurling, but that's in the past now," said McGrath.

"Some of the finest hurlers in the country are on our team. You don't become a bad team overnight. I don't really take what these people say to heart. If you did, you would just give up hurling in the morning.

"It's probably not helpful," admitted McGrath, who said he understood that Babs and Barrett knew an era when Tipperary were all-conquering.

"They just want to see Tipp hurling at the top and that's fair enough. No one went out to play a bad match on Sunday; we all went out to do our best. The great positive I take from that is the same thing happened to Kerry last year and look where they ended up."

Tipperary's heaviest defeat to Cork in the Munster Championship since 1942 sparked criticism and prompted a meeting of the players and management last night. So far, manager Liam Sheedy has kept his counsel on criticism from Keating and others.

Tipperary will now take a week off training before resuming their preparations for qualifiers they haven't always been favourably disposed to.

Barrett has also hit out at Sunday's referee on local radio, suggesting he hasn't been a fan of Barry Kelly in the past.

"I didn't like the referee, first of all, I never liked him. When Cork are playing Tipp, it's always a massive game, a strong game, a hard game," said Barrett.

"You must have a good, strong referee. He pulled Paul Curran for handpassing the ball (in the first half); he let Cork go four times before that."

- Colm Keys

Irish Independent

Reillers

Babs really doesn't know when to stop does he..

And Shane McGrath saying he didn't like the ref and never did..not the smartest thing he could have said, no matter how much he dislikes him.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on June 02, 2010, 12:35:08 PM

And Shane McGrath saying he didn't like the ref and never did..not the smartest thing he could have said, no matter how much he dislikes him.

Shane Mc Grath didn't say that. He's bit cuter than that hopefully.

Read it again.  ;)

johnneycool

looks like Tommy Barrett was the man critising the referee.

AZOffaly

QuoteBarrett has also hit out at Sunday's referee on local radio, suggesting he hasn't been a fan of Barry Kelly in the past.

Or if it was Donal Og you meant, then I'd agree with you, although Kelly didn't do anything wrong to Ogie on Sunday in fairness.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on June 02, 2010, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: Reillers on June 02, 2010, 12:35:08 PM

Shane Mc Grath didn't say that. He's bit cuter than that hopefully.

Read it again.  ;)

Haha..so he didin't.

dowling

Just proves what I often said to you Reillers. You don't read things properly before you jump in feet first.
You're getting on in previous posts bringing up the strike as if that's what was needed for Cork to beat Tipp as if it hadn't happened before or that Cork hadn't great victories before. Catch yourself on.
Most of us said Tipp would be Kilkenny's main rivals last year and Cork had slipped down the pecking order and we were right.
And if you believe Sunday's victory justifies the vile treament meted out to Ger McCarthy by the strikers and the the contempt they held the whole GAA in then thats a sad reflection on you.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on June 02, 2010, 06:56:15 PM
Just proves what I often said to you Reillers. You don't read things properly before you jump in feet first.
You're getting on in previous posts bringing up the strike as if that's what was needed for Cork to beat Tipp as if it hadn't happened before or that Cork hadn't great victories before. Catch yourself on.
Most of us said Tipp would be Kilkenny's main rivals last year and Cork had slipped down the pecking order and we were right.
And if you believe Sunday's victory justifies the vile treament meted out to Ger McCarthy by the strikers and the the contempt they held the whole GAA in then thats a sad reflection on you.

..Ya..and I don't read posts..really like.  ::) ::)

dowling

Well I'm glad you agree with one thing I said!