Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

QuoteThose who seem certain that this game will be a dour, low scoring war of attrition may be in for a surprise.

True, I think this year Armagh will shed the brand of slit-your-wrists fotball that has dogged them for a decade!

Highlander3

All i know is that i bet there is no way this game ends 15 v 15

lemallon

What was so impressive about the training hardstation

GrandMasterFlash

I think the Armagh lads might be getting a little ahead of themselves.. (which I don't mind and don't think the Monaghan players will mind either..) You beat a one-dimensional Derry team and it's an Ulster title in the bag. Monaghan humped Derry in the league this year and have had the measure of Armagh in the past few years.

You may very well beat us this Sunda but let's keep the lid on eh...

mackers

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 31, 2010, 10:56:23 AM
I think the Armagh lads might be getting a little ahead of themselves.. (which I don't mind and don't think the Monaghan players will mind either..) You beat a one-dimensional Derry team and it's an Ulster title in the bag. Monaghan humped Derry in the league this year and have had the measure of Armagh in the past few years.

Really?? Some cub runs off with himself in his second post about beating Monaghan by a rake of points and all of a sudden the Armagh supporters are getting ahead of themselves?? Anybody with a titter of wit knows that this will be a close game. I hope that we play a much more attack minded game against Monaghan, push up the field and gave a Monaghan defence that leaked the second highest total in the First Division a tough time.
I'm sure that Monaghan players and supporters fancy their chances also but I wouldn't accuse them of getting ahead of themselves because of that!!
Think TAM is right that the team that wins on Sunday will fancy their chances against Fermanagh and Cavan.......do you think he's wrong?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Main Street

True enough, sounds more like Dutch courage from one individual, rather than a rampant delusion.

QuoteThink TAM is right that the team that wins on Sunday will fancy their chances against Fermanagh and Cavan.......do you think he's wrong?
Is that who the winners play?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: mackers on May 31, 2010, 11:09:59 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 31, 2010, 10:56:23 AM

Really?? Some cub runs off with himself in his second post about beating Monaghan by a rake of points and all of a sudden the Armagh supporters are getting ahead of themselves?? Anybody with a titter of wit knows that this will be a close game. I hope that we play a much more attack minded game against Monaghan, push up the field and gave a Monaghan defence that leaked the second highest total in the First Division a tough time.
I'm sure that Monaghan players and supporters fancy their chances also but I wouldn't accuse them of getting ahead of themselves because of that!!
Think TAM is right that the team that wins on Sunday will fancy their chances against Fermanagh and Cavan.......do you think he's wrong?

Ayh, I should have quoted the cub alright. It's hard to bate kickstartin the debate though and gettin her revved up, you'd have to admit...

I won't be that surpisred if Armagh beat us (see above quote) but as you say it'll be close... We've a fair idea what Armagh team will line out so it depends on what Monaghan team turn up, excuse the overused cliche. If Eoin Lennon is fit and sharp it'll be a massive help around the middle allowing Finlay to push up the field wehere he works best IMHO. Our wing backs I'm concerned.. I reckon he might go with D Freemand and McQuaid both of whome haven't played much this year. He might give champinship debuts to Neil McAdam and Colin Walshe. I'd rather see this as they'll both have to track P Duffy and Finn Mo. McQuaid and Freeman wouldn't be the most defensive half-backs.

I can't see anyone other than Dessie man-marking Stevie and the jury is out big time on this pairing... He might double up on McDonald but that's a risky strtegy also with an attack minded Armagh. Dessie could get sent off before half-time or he could keep Stevie quiet, you never know what you're gonna get. I've no doubt Andy Mallon will pick up Tommy so we'll need three natural forwards.. McManus, Woods and Freeman would be my pick.

Mouth-watering...

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2010, 11:14:02 AM
True enough, sounds more like Dutch courage from one individual, rather than a rampant delusion.

QuoteThink TAM is right that the team that wins on Sunday will fancy their chances against Fermanagh and Cavan.......do you think he's wrong?
Is that who the winners play?

Yeah, remaing fixtures as follows;

Date: Sunday 6th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Quarter Final 2 00 PM Casement Park Ard Mhacha  --- v  Muineachán  ---

Date: Saturday 12th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Quarter Final 5 15 PM Kingspan Breffni Pk An Cabhán  --- v  Fear Manach  ---

Date: Saturday 19th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Semi Final 5 15 PM TBC Tír Eoghain  --- v  An Dun  ---

Date: Sunday 27th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Semi Final 3 30 PM  An Cabhán / Fear Manach  --- v  Muineachán / Ard Mhacha  ---

Date: Sunday 18th Jul 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Final 2 00 PM  Semi Final 1 Winner  --- v  Semi Final 2 Winner  ---

bingobus

I'd be disappointed if both McQuaid and Damien Freeman come back into half back line. While McQuaid has a case and has by all accounts never been in better form for Tyholland and looks in super shape, Damien looked off the pace last year and seeing him for Maghercloone this year he has looked off the pace even at club level.

It would also give a bad message to players who busted themselves in the league and then find themselves on the outside now for the big games. There is prob one opening in the half forward line and I'd not be surpised if Damien lines out there and drops back as the extra man at the back, a depressing feature of gaelic football at the minute.

Smokin Joe

Any season ticket holders receive any communication re this game yet?

We had to get orders in for additional tickets by the Monday evening for the Derry v Armagh game, yet this week I haven't heard a dickie bird.

ardchieftain

Am i ' the cub ' you speak of ? If so, thank you, it's been a long time since i was called that ! And, for the record, my last post was not alcohol induced.

My post may have seemed arrogant in some regard but at the end of the day it's only my opinion and we'll see just how accurate it was as the summer progresses.
I'm disappointed that ' the wee dig ' i used wasn't latched upon by the person it was directed at.

Anyway, hardstation and lemallon, in regard to Armagh's training i have heard glowing reports. My cousin has watched every training session at Callan Park since they started training there.  He says that Armagh haven't trained with such intensity or looked so sharp since Paul Grimley was last involved. He also mentions regularly that the differnce between this and the last regime's training methods are mindblowing.

bingobus

In fairness lads, Re this training, I'd say everyone on here could talk of been involved with teams where training has been super, positive, sharp etc etc and its failed to materialise on the day. Alot of the time it does and its a great start but at this level, I am sure both teams will be flying in training, in fact there is probably 20 odd counties "flying " in training at the minute.

All will be told on Sunday.

bennydorano

Normally I'm Mr Pessimistic, on this one I'm not sure what to expect, think I can see Armagh winning. We've the beneift of the Derry game behind us and I don't think the benefit of that can be underestimated, there's nothing like a good hard Championship match to bring you on a bit.

I hope we try to lay the expansive game that looked so promising through the league, but winning is still the priority. We probably will play a sweeper but if played correctly it could be the launchpad for attacks as well as serving it's primary defensive role.

Can't see too many changes, hopefully Nippy will keep his place and I also hope we resist the temptation to through Jamie clarke on from the start. Brian Mallon has to start for me, it was only when I re-watched the Derry game that I began to appreciate his input in getting the dirty ball, it's not glamorous but is effective. Henderson would be unlucky to miss out,but he started the Galway game in Clonmore which might suggest he was sort of on trial.

Any word on Lavery? I assume it was his hamstring, if it was bad he could be risky to start. We have a better balance with Vernon and Toner imo and I hope we start that way. I expect Hughes to mark Vernon wherever CV plays. If Lavery's out there's a place in defence available, probably will be Shannon although he must be looking over his shoulder at Paul McKeown if the challenge game v Galway is anything to go by. Dyas could be in there with a big shout too.

It will be tight.

Shortso79

Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 31, 2010, 04:11:31 PM
Any season ticket holders receive any communication re this game yet?

We had to get orders in for additional tickets by the Monday evening for the Derry v Armagh game, yet this week I haven't heard a dickie bird.

No word yet Joe - strange ....

Logan

Quote from: bingobus on May 31, 2010, 04:51:48 PM
In fairness lads, Re this training, I'd say everyone on here could talk of been involved with teams where training has been super, positive, sharp etc etc and its failed to materialise on the day. Alot of the time it does and its a great start but at this level, I am sure both teams will be flying in training, in fact there is probably 20 odd counties "flying " in training at the minute.

All will be told on Sunday.

Not too often you hear of someone seeing a bad training session before a championship game