Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

Quote from: eireogatron on May 19, 2010, 12:15:30 PM
no AFS, I'm not convinced of his ability, I'm willing to give a fella a chance rather than hang him for a league performance well over a year ago.

You're avoiding the issue. It wasn't just any league game, it was against the same opposition. Bottom line, there are other options with better track records to play man marking roles. There's no need to be taking chances on anyone.

Sure, scrap him from the panel and be done with it because apparently a good championship debut doesnt cut any mustard anymore, but start Dyas because he had a terrific league campaign when fit ???

Losing the run of youself now. I've already stated that I can see him doing jobs around the middle for us this year. He was put on to play around the middle last Sunday, before Derry moved Lynch into FF. I simply have issues with his ability to play in the FB line.

I'm aware that every time I mention Martin it comes across negatively. I really don't intend for this to happen. I've seen a lot of him since he was 13 or 14, and I feel I know a bit about his strengths and weaknesses. For me he was always a hell of a lot better at midfield than FB, so if he's to fulfil whatever intercounty potential he has, I'd like to see him in the position to which he is best suited.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on May 17, 2010, 09:45:29 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 17, 2010, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2010, 12:44:38 PM
Glad to see it taken away from Clones, Armagh have played there plenty but why give any advantage, no matter how miniscule, to the opposition.

Hard to see this game being anything other than a repeat of yesterday - attritional.  The open spaces of Casement will definitely suit better both teams better than the likes of a tight Celtic park.  Maybe we'll see a bit more positive approach from Armagh, but getting a result is still the priority.

Worrying to listen to Ronan clarke on the bbc saying he hoped to be back "sometime during the championship", that sounded long-term to me.

Sorry to give Monaghan the kiss of death, but they were my pre-champ tip for Ulster.

I don't mind Casement as a venue, not much going on outside the grounds though in terms of atmosphere. Great pitch IMHO. I live in Belfast but plan to be at home that weekend (outside Clones!!) and was hoping it'd be Clones/Armagh..  ::)

At uni are ya?

Does everyone that travels to their homestead at the weekend from whereever they live have to be at uni or what sort of question is that?  ::)

Goats Do Shave

I'd actually go with the team, as named v Derry:

1 P Hearty
2 A Mallon
3 K Toner
4 B Donaghy
5 P Duffy
6 K Mc Keever
7 Finn Mo
8 C Vernon
9  J Lavery
10 M Mackin
11 A kernan
12 G Swift
13 B Mallon
14 S Mc Donnell
15 R Henderson

eireogatron

Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2010, 01:24:40 PM
no AFS, I'm not convinced of his ability, I'm willing to give a fella a chance rather than hang him for a league performance well over a year ago.

You're avoiding the issue. It wasn't just any league game, it was against the same opposition. Bottom line, there are other options with better track records to play man marking roles. There's no need to be taking chances on anyone.

Sure, scrap him from the panel and be done with it because apparently a good championship debut doesnt cut any mustard anymore, but start Dyas because he had a terrific league campaign when fit ???

Losing the run of youself now. I've already stated that I can see him doing jobs around the middle for us this year. He was put on to play around the middle last Sunday, before Derry moved Lynch into FF. I simply have issues with his ability to play in the FB line.

I'm aware that every time I mention Martin it comes across negatively. I really don't intend for this to happen. I've seen a lot of him since he was 13 or 14, and I feel I know a bit about his strengths and weaknesses. For me he was always a hell of a lot better at midfield than FB, so if he's to fulfil whatever intercounty potential he has, I'd like to see him in the position to which he is best suited.

i'm not avoiding the issue, i've addressed it. He marked the player once, well over a year ago when he was new to the county scene. You dont think he may have developed since then? Also, alot of the time Woods comes into the HF/midfield area in championship matches so it would appear that if this was the case it would suit Martin. Another alternative would be someone else to mark him and Martin to take up a different role within the 15, especially with the absentee being Lavery.

thewanderer

i hope dessie mone is playing as he will def get the line this time. have to say he,s well overrated and a dirty player into the bargain. revenge on the cards this year for stevie especially in casement. it will be a dog fight tho as its the only monaghan know.

thewanderer

afs theres no chance of shannon startin unless we have a load of injuries :o

naka

Quote from: thewanderer on May 19, 2010, 02:48:21 PM
afs theres no chance of shannon startin unless we have a load of injuries :o
why  ?
I thought he may have a chance in the full back line with vernon moving to midfield/half forward line

TacadoirArdMhacha

Must say I was very very surprised to see Vincie Martin coming on against Derry given that we hadn't seen him since he managed 5 minutes before getting sent off against Laois. Ok he did reasonably well but Derry's lack of ideas in attack has to be taken into account. I really think we have better options both in defence and around the middle.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

thewanderer

i think dyas will come into contention. but please not the experienced one :)

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 19, 2010, 02:28:42 PM
I'd actually go with the team, as named v Derry:

1 P Hearty
2 A Mallon
3 K Toner
4 B Donaghy
5 P Duffy
6 K Mc Keever
7 Finn Mo
8 C Vernon
9  J Lavery
10 M Mackin
11 A kernan
12 G Swift
13 B Mallon
14 S Mc Donnell
15 R Henderson

Agreed, but not Mackin. Use him for impact.

Maguire01

Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2010, 11:55:25 AM
I see Martin's performance that day as suggestive of fundamental problems in his game that I doubt will ever be remedied, never mind in the space of just over a year. He simply couldn't cope with Woods' movement and acceleration over short distances. He was beaten to every ball.
How slow is this guy?!
Woods would be known for his strength, delivery and shooting, but hardly his speed or agility!

Maguire01

Quote from: thewanderer on May 19, 2010, 02:44:33 PM
i hope dessie mone is playing as he will def get the line this time. have to say he,s well overrated and a dirty player into the bargain. revenge on the cards this year for stevie especially in casement. it will be a dog fight tho as its the only monaghan know.
It seems that some people are more concerned with settling scores than anything else. That could play right into Monaghan's hands. It's also just as likely to see red cards for Armagh if that strategy is followed. I'd imagine McDonnell and O'Rourke would have more sense than that.

As for Dessie being overrated: by who?

armaghniac

McDonnell can get his "revenge" by scoring 6 or 7 points from play.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on May 20, 2010, 01:02:33 AM
McDonnell can get his "revenge" by scoring 6 or 7 points from play.

Agreed Armaghniac, and I'd expect that's the way Stevie would go about his business too. He's been around long enough and played against enough corner backs to know the terroirity. As someone said previously it was completely out of character and I'd agree with that having witnessed it first hand.

I'm not expecting 'one for the purists' but do expect a tight hard game of football..

thewanderer

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 19, 2010, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: thewanderer on May 19, 2010, 02:44:33 PM
It seems that some people are more concerned with settling scores than anything else. That could play right into Monaghan's hands. It's also just as likely to see red cards for Armagh if that strategy is followed. I'd imagine McDonnell and O'Rourke would have more sense than that.

As for Dessie being overrated: by who?
obviously by banty who keeps picking him. he was dreadfull for clontiberet against st. galls never mind inter county.