Gordon is gone. A new dawn(fades)?

Started by Denn Forever, May 10, 2010, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Obviously there are cuts needed but if they make the very drastic cuts some are predicting they will be a one term government, something I am sure Cameron is well aware of.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: thewobbler on May 11, 2010, 10:30:42 PM
Quoteand you think a conservative govt would have done anything differently?
The point is they weren't in power. Labour were and they fucked the place properly. To give them another term would have been a most unjust of rewards.
The point is that labour was in power when there was a world wide recession and someone else being in power would not have stopped that.

Quote from: bennydorano on May 11, 2010, 10:42:10 PM
There's nothing to fear from properly targeted cuts.  I doubt there's a big enough majority for them to go truely bananas with the cuts, there'll be a lot of 'freezing' of wages and departmental budgets.  Any sustained bounce in the financial markets and the sale of the Nationalised banks will take a big chunck from the deficit. 

I predict an election in the autumn of 2011, just enough time for descension in the Liberal ranks to really come to the fore when the hard decisions have been made and their effects are being felt far & wide and the honeymoon period is but a distant memory.

The majority of the British press should be ashamed of themselves as well, Sky are a disgrace and the likes of The Times have went down in estimation a lot, their editorial  today when commenting on Nick Clegg speaking to Labour was a childish rant.  Rupert Murdoch has had a very big say in this election.

Adios to Gordon, a man I have a serious amount of respect for, a genuine man who couldn't or didn't want to play the PR game.   His likely replacement Ed Milliband stikes me as a toady wee shite.
I can't remember if it was mandelson or ed balls that said this evening that gordon was only interested in winning the arguments - imo he done that it's just a pity there's not enough brain cells in the country that can see that. Even watching the new prime minister this evening I've yet to see any evidence of any substance.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Pangurban

Liberals are on path to oblivion, as previously trod by PDs in south. Labour set to produce a Blair clone as leader, all mouth and no substance. The Tories must be laughing, its win-win for them. As for us voting fodder, now that the election is over, none of the parties will give a fcuk. To compound our misery Alex Atwood has been appointed Minister for Social Development in the Assembly, highlighting the dearth of talent or choice in the S.D.L.P.. Leave the Country and go up a tree for the next four years.

ziggysego

Quote from: Pangurban on May 12, 2010, 01:15:20 AM
Liberals are on path to oblivion, as previously trod by PDs in south. Labour set to produce a Blair clone as leader, all mouth and no substance. The Tories must be laughing, its win-win for them. As for us voting fodder, now that the election is over, none of the parties will give a fcuk. To compound our misery Alex Atwood has been appointed Minister for Social Development in the Assembly, highlighting the dearth of talent or choice in the S.D.L.P.. Leave the Country and go up a tree for the next four years.

One of terms that the Lib Dems asked for and got from the Tories was a fix 5 year term in Government.
Testing Accessibility

sammymaguire

change for change sake is not always a good thing  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Canalman

Not good for Scotland and its 1 Tory MP. Very good imo for the English midlands which the Tories will target in order to  reach the "magical" 40% needed in British elections to govern.

West and North of Manchester as usual will be left to rot

A Quinn Martin Production

I would think the benefits system will be hammered.  DLA is a big target apprarently.  Benefits payments come directly from the London Treasury and are not part of the "block" grant.  To be fair had Labour won they would have to do the same, only difference is they would have waited a few months.  Expect an emergency budget in late June, have a few stiff drinks before that!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Doogie Browser

Now a Villa fan is PM I will be expecting legislation to ensure we are challenging for the league title next season, starting with massive duty rise on Whiskey which will force Fergie abroad.  A higher tax on cigarettes will see Carlo back to Italy and a cut in restaurant gratuities will ensure Rafa fecks off to Madrid.  Cam-er-on The Villa!

reddgnhand

On top of cuts taxes are going to rise. How else are they going to pay off the deficit.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 12, 2010, 10:12:09 AM
Now a Villa fan is PM I will be expecting legislation to ensure we are challenging for the league title next season, starting with massive duty rise on Whiskey which will force Fergie abroad.  A higher tax on cigarettes will see Carlo back to Italy and a cut in restaurant gratuities will ensure Rafa fecks off to Madrid.  Cam-er-on The Villa!

Papers reporting Martin O'Neill Secretary of State for NI!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Doogie Browser

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 12, 2010, 10:23:25 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 12, 2010, 10:12:09 AM

Papers reporting Martin O'Neill Secretary of State for NI!!
Too volatile AQMP!  As soon as there is a threat to his budget he will threaten to walk out!

rossie mad

Cameron is already having an effect

Slight fall in NI unemployment benefit claims
Wednesday, 12 May 2010 13:08
The number of people claiming unemployment benefit in the North has fallen for the first time in more than two years.

It stood at 55,400 in April down 200 over the month, a 0.4% drop.

However, it was the smallest decrease in the UK.

AdvertisementThe seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in the North increased to 6.7% for the first quarter of this year.

The North's Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster welcomed the small drop in those claiming unemployment benefit.

She also announced the creation of 104 highly skilled jobs in a multi-million pounds investment following an expansion by a US company in Lisburn.

Kelman Ltd is owned by global company GE.

It makes monitoring and diagnostic equipment for electricity transformers.

Invest NI has offered almost £1m towards the project.

The company said it will be recruiting for staff in advanced manufacturing, research and development and technical support roles.

GE will also establish an online operating centre to provide a new monitoring, diagnostic and technical support service to customers using the company's monitoring equipment.

These activities will be complemented by the creation of a centre of excellence to research and develop new monitoring products, technologies and software tools.

The Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster said: 'GE is a well established and globally renowned company which, for more than a century, has pushed the boundaries of energy technology to become a market leader. This significant investment reflects GE's confidence in its Lisburn operation and in the quality of the local workforce.'

In a statement, US Economic Envoy to Northern Ireland, Declan Kelly, also welcomed the expansion.

Excuse my ignorance but what does DLA mean?

Hedley Lamarr

Disability Living Allowance.....otherwise known round Armagh as.....Daily Liqour Allowance ;)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Sandino

I had to take a very deep breath before I typed this comment. I agree with the longrunsthefox. There I said it and it may be a first but what the heck. It will be us feckers here who get the hit. I' not sure but how many Tories were voted in between Scotland Wales and the North of Ireland, less than a handful. These areas will now be over looked for the good of Little England and that magical 40% at the next election.

Indeed there are those who misuse the DLA system but I feel sickened by EC Unique with your generalisations. Few of us know what goes on inside many homes and a blanket response from the Tories will only hurt the innocent and vulnerable as well as the misusers. Anyone who lived through the Thatcher years will agree we have a lot to worry about under a Tory government. The 'black economy' was a very small economy back in the 80's. in the future I wonder if we in the north will have the same view on migrant workers as some do at present when our children again set off around the world looking for employment.

Thanks Sammy
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''