Gordon is gone. A new dawn(fades)?

Started by Denn Forever, May 10, 2010, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

The Worker

ziggysego

Hope whatever Tory ends up in Hillsborough Castle keeps a low profile and doesn't start throwing his or her weight around.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

under the bar

20-30% of public sector workers here can kiss their jobs goodbye.  The gravy-train for the unemployable had to stop somewhere.

pintsofguinness

Watching Brown's address to the labour party, a demonstration of grace and dignity, fair play to him.
Cant believe they picked that other little p***k over him.

Denn Forever

What will this mean up north? Especially as the Conservatives don't need the DUP.  Will the DUP feel unloved?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

pintsofguinness

for the north it will mean cuts cuts and more cuts.

Rossfan

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 11, 2010, 08:28:06 PM
What will this mean up north?

If Cameron's stupid link up with the Empeyunionists is any guide ...ye're in for a few years of absolute stupidity.
Still it might convince a few more Unionists they are lucky to be Irish.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Minder

I read the other day that when there is such a deficit the easiest and quickest cuts are the welfare state, so a lot of buckos on the DLA may enjoy it while it lasts.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

spuds

QuoteConservative David Cameron became Britain's new prime minister tonight after he accepted the invitation from Queen Elizabeth to form a new government.

Mr Cameron (43) whose party won the most seats and votes in last Thursday's election but failed to secure an outright majority, takes over from Gordon Brown who earlier resigned, ending 13 years of Labour rule.

Mr Cameron, a former public relations executive, becomes Britain's youngest prime minister in almost 200 years.

Earlier an emotional Mr Brown spoke outside his Downing Street office, saying: "I have informed the queen's private secretary that it's my intention to tender my resignation to the queen."

"In the event that the queen accepts I shall advise her to invite the leader of the opposition to seek to form a government. I wish the next prime minister well as he makes the important choices for the future," Mr Brown said.

Mr Brown also said he would be stepping down immediately as Labour leader.

Both the Conservatives and Labour tried to win Lib Dem support to form the next government during five days of intense negotiations, but it became clear this afternoon that Labour had lost and Mr Brown would have to resign.

Sterling held gains against the dollar after Mr Brown announced his resignation, rising 0.8 per cent to $1.4972. British government bonds had also rallied earlier on reports that a Conservative/Lib Dem deal was imminent.

First among those choices will be what to do to reduce Britain's record budget deficit, which has raised fears that the country could lose its triple-A credit rating and get into debt difficulties.

Markets want a quick resolution to the uncertainty and favour a Conservative-led government because they believe it would move faster and harder to cut the deficit.

Just after his statement, Mr Brown, his wife and their two children briefly posed for photographers before leaving Downing Street, the official prime ministerial residence.

Then Mr Brown was driven to Buckingham Palace where Queen Elizabeth accepted his resignation.

The sequence of events was in accordance with British constitutional convention. Mr Brown's statement made clear that the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats had secured some sort of power-sharing arrangement, but the exact details were not yet known.

Senior Conservative William Hague, who has been negotiating with the Lib Dems, told reporters minutes after Mr Brown's statement that he and his team now had recommendations to propose to party colleagues.

Danny Alexander, a Lib Dem negotiator, made similar comments.

"We have completed our discussions in a good atmosphere and are now returning to report back to (Lib Dem leader) Nick Clegg and our parliamentary colleagues," he said.

The Lib Dems had turned to the Conservatives first, on the basis that they had won most votes and most seats in last Thursday's election. But Mr Brown threw a spanner in the works on Monday when he said he would step aside in coming months.

The move was aimed at tempting the Lib Dems away from the Conservatives and into an alliance with Labour. Clegg had made it clear during the campaign he did not wish to prop up the unpopular Mr Brown.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0511/breaking8.html
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

thewobbler

QuoteAnd we're all going to get fucked
I think you'll find that all governments make mistakes but the way Labour fucked the economy living on the never never will take some beating, no matter what the Tories do.

Quotefor the north it will mean cuts cuts and more cuts.
The north needs this. It'll be a hard and horrible couple of years for anyone affected by it, but the end result will be better. Unless of course labour get back into power and spend 5 years re-instating utterly pointless jobs.

I really hope the welfare state takes the biggest hit.

Minder

Quote from: thewobbler on May 11, 2010, 09:01:46 PM
I think you'll find that all governments make mistakes but the way Labour fucked the economy living on the never never will take some beating, no matter what the Tories do.

The north needs this. It'll be a hard and horrible couple of years for anyone affected by it, but the end result will be better. Unless of course labour get back into power and spend 5 years re-instating utterly pointless jobs.

I think it has to, and will.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Quote from: thewobbler on May 11, 2010, 09:01:46 PM

We have a Tory boy in our mist ;)

Testing Accessibility