Ulster Minor Football Championship 2010

Started by hobit hunter, May 10, 2010, 06:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Dougal on May 23, 2010, 06:19:54 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 23, 2010, 05:58:45 PM
Is Ulster the only province that still doesn't have any type of a second chance for losers?  Maybe time to revise that rule?

why do connacht and munster have the same?i knew leinster had that,but never heard of it anywhere else.it would be a good idea.
I think Connacht have something too, checked the connacht website, but it was too crap to navigate!
I think it'd be great for minors, a chance to have at least two championship games for every team - whatever about seniors not gelling, for these lads it may be their first and last championship game for their county.  You can play all the friendlies you like but they're not the same.  I'd definitely be in favour of keeping the first game as the curtain raiser for the senior game too.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Can anyone shed any light on the incident were Conan Grugan got sent off with an Antrim player?

Just came in after it. Tyrone minors ran rings round Antrim for long periods, always a man running, looked good, but then was a poor enough Antrim outfit. Half back line was good, Deeny and Sludden, two good players. Shea McGarrity at corner back, Conlon in MF and Thomas Canavan at CHF all played well.

Found lacking up front with the finishing from O'Neill and McCullugh at times, but the loss of a player wouldn't have helped and it can take a minor team a few games to find their form such is the nature of the competition. Still, plenty of positive signs.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

orangeman

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on May 23, 2010, 08:11:47 PM
Can anyone shed any light on the incident were Conan Grugan got sent off with an Antrim player?

Just came in after it. Tyrone minors ran rings round Antrim for long periods, always a man running, looked good, but then was a poor enough Antrim outfit. Half back line was good, Deeny and Sludden, two good players. Shea McGarrity at corner back, Conlon in MF and Thomas Canavan at CHF all played well.

Found lacking up front with the finishing from O'Neill and McCullugh at times, but the loss of a player wouldn't have helped and it can take a minor team a few games to find their form such is the nature of the competition. Still, plenty of positive signs.

The Antrim no 3 was "assigned" to Conan Grugan. He was giving him a bit of "attention" and the two of them started pushing and swinging a bit.

Ref's officials alerted the ref who issued 2 striaght reds and who indicated that both struck with their fists.  Looked harsh.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: orangeman on May 23, 2010, 08:15:05 PM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on May 23, 2010, 08:11:47 PM

The Antrim no 3 was "assigned" to Conan Grugan. He was giving him a bit of "attention" and the two of them started pushing and swinging a bit.

Ref's officials alerted the ref who issued 2 striaght reds and who indicated that both struck with their fists.  Looked harsh.

Cheers.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

omagh_gael

Any craic

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA - feature on Tyrone minor full-back Conor Clarke, including contributions from his mum and dad. Good GAA story, the dad is a steward at Healy Park. Proud day for them and the lad looks like the next Justy.

Any craic

any craic about the Armagh-Monaghan game on Saturday night in Newry? Monaghan were useful last year when they won up in Derry but Armagh had too much when they met Monaghan in Clones in the semis. The Armagh team is different in personnel mainly but still a fine team. What about Monaghan? Maybe some of the Armagh lads will see it pretty much as a favourable venue, especially the Colmans lads (is there more than Gough?), whose MacRory q-final was played there under lights. While I'm at it, what about Donegal-Down on Sunday? I'm taking Down here, primarily off the back of Colman's success again, but are Donegal good this year under Mulgrew? They have home advantage and maybe a few lads from the U-21 squad who nearly won the All Ireland. And there's Cavan-Fermanagh, that's 3 minor games in 24 hours and then none for 3 weeks, unless there's a replay..

Any craic

Armagh 6 up at half time. 1-8 0-5. Goal coming up on video on the Ulster Council website.

Any craic

Onion Bag

Any result on the Armagh Minor match lads?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Any craic

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA// Monaghan got this goal back to make a game of it but Armagh won handy enough

Armaghtothebone

mackers

Armagh responded well to a super goal by Monaghan. We were cruising at HT but Monaghan took over at midfield for large parts of the 2nd half. Have to say that the match was refereed well, the ref let a lot go and the game was all the more entertaining for it. Best for Armagh IMO was the lad McCaughley at CB. McGeown did most of the scoring although the goal was a fluke, a mishit shot which looped over the keeper's head.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

rionach 4

Was at the match tonight in Newry . Quite a big crowd particularly from Armagh, but Newry as a venue on a Saturady evening must be questioned . The queue going into Newry was terrible. Many of the crowd arrived late . There were little or no programmes so I find it difficult to name the team. No-one around me had one and I went to three different places looking for some but there weren't to be found. It was a fiver in so I suppose that wasn't to bad. As for the game itself Armagh won out comfortably enough at the end but they had to endure a fifteen minute fright in the second half where they went from eight points up to leading by two with ten minutes to go. Monaghan scored their goal and at the same time Peter Carragher was carried of. Things didnt look good but they introduced a sub number twenty . Conlon I think was his name and he definetly made a difference . showed well for the ball and as time ran out for Monaghan should have been beaten by more. To be fair had Monaghan kicked the ball in high to their full forward more often or indeed even kicked the ball more often well we might have had a different story. Time and time again good tackiling by Armagh particularly in the first half turned possesion . Monaghan insisted on short passing and paid dearly. Armagh's forwards were dangerous and Paul McGeown alongside his clubman Collie stevenson were a constabnt thorn in The Monaghan defence . Monaghan were physically bigger but armagh had the more skilful players . Number 15 for Armagh had an excellent game . Maybe some one can help me with the name . Niall McConville played quite well and Barry Seeley hit three or four good points from Frees. McGewon I thought also did quite well when moved out to midfield. A word of praise for the referee, he let the game flow quite a bit and blew up the hand pass only three times throughout the game . Thought he was fairly even to both teams . The handling by both teams was quite poor and there were quite a few unforced errors and Armagh gave the ball away needlessly a few times . With 7 or eight minutes to go things didnt look good but the sign of a good team is how you react to these challenges and I must say they stood up well . Carragher and his partner made some excellent catches . I was disappointed with Aidan forker at number 11 . I rate him very highly and he just wasn't really in the game. Number 2 McCaughley I think was excellent as was Mattie Mc Neice in goals . Overall this is a reasonably good team and there is every chance of retaining Ulster . I am sorry I dont have the team line out . Treanor came on as a sub and did quite well. Forwards win matches and I thought the workrate from them in particular was excellent. A very workmanlike performance I would say . If they can play for a full sixty minutes they will take a bit of stopping. Well done lads

Any craic

http://vimeo.com/12141451// - the first-half best bits in 2 mins from Armagh v Monaghan in Newry.