Sugar Shane Mosley vs Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather: 01/05/10

Started by DirtyDozen12, April 28, 2010, 12:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Biggest fight of the year thus far so suppose maybe deserves a thread of its own.  Should be an interesting one, Mosley impressed greatly in his last bout against Margarito but that was nearly a year ago, he seems pretty confident of a victory and still looks in good shape for his age.

Always love watching Mayweather box though and this should be good to see how he approaches this one against a naturally bigger and solid welterweight.  He always gets criticised for ducking certain fighters and taking easier ones, ie Marquez, Hatton who where way samller than him in the end.  He hasnt fought anyone as natural a welterweight as Oscar DLH so this one could be worth getting up late in the night for.  Mayweather first defeat perhaps??  I hope not!

Also, anyone watching those HBO 24/7 shows?  Always a great build up to a big fight with the way the follow the 2 fighters around their training camps.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

drici

DennistheMenace

Unfortunately I can see nothing but a Floyd win by points or late TKO, watched the 3rd episode of the 24/7 and Mayweather comes across as the vilest he's been yet. I like Mosely, he has a big heart but doesn't have the speed to trouble Floyd, in saying that I still think he'll give Mayweather one of his hardest fights to date.

Would love SM to win but ultimately think he'll fall short but not without a fight..

Very suprised this isn't on PPV over here and delighted sky have picked it up.

ross4life

Hopefully Mayweather wins & then Pacman next up in what should be one of the greatest fights for years
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

nrico2006

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 28, 2010, 02:53:48 PM
Unfortunately I can see nothing but a Floyd win by points or late TKO, watched the 3rd episode of the 24/7 and Mayweather comes across as the vilest he's been yet. I like Mosely, he has a big heart but doesn't have the speed to trouble Floyd, in saying that I still think he'll give Mayweather one of his hardest fights to date.

Would love SM to win but ultimately think he'll fall short but not without a fight..

Very suprised this isn't on PPV over here and delighted sky have picked it up.

Is one of Sugar Shane's greatest assets not his speed, which many reckon is as quick as, if not quicker, than PBFs?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CiKe

Nrico, it is indeed, I don't think Floyd has ever faced anyone as fast as Mosley. Off the top of my head though fairly sure the same can be said about Shane.

End of the day I think Mosley has a lot of things going for him - at least equal speed (handspeed that is, Mayweather has better footwork), naturally bigger man and greater power. However I think age could well be a big factor in this one, Mayweather is always supremely conditioned and I see him pulling away down the stretch. Can't see having the pop to take him out though

heganboy

Quote from: CiKe on April 28, 2010, 07:14:25 PM
Mayweather is always supremely conditioned and I see him pulling away down the stretch. Can't see having the pop to take him out though

Mayweather in 8 or 9
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gallsman

Mayweather on points in what will probably be something of an anti-climax. Mayweather's unreal defense and footwork will come to the fore and he'll do what he always does and neutralise his opponent's strengths and fight his own fight. Mosley is in outstanding shape for a guy his age, but at 38 and having previously been at light-middle, staying at welter must be damn near impossible.

Whatever about Mayweather as a character, he is completely devoted to his art and won't be looking beyond Saturday night.

Anyone know the score with the drug testing for this fight? I think I read that Mosley had agreed to the same sort of procedures Mayweather wanted against Pacman but haven't heard much else. Considering Shane's past history it would seem odd if Mayweather wasn't mouthing off without testing.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: gallsman on April 28, 2010, 07:24:05 PM
Mayweather on points in what will probably be something of an anti-climax. Mayweather's unreal defense and footwork will come to the fore and he'll do what he always does and neutralise his opponent's strengths and fight his own fight. Mosley is in outstanding shape for a guy his age, but at 38 and having previously been at light-middle, staying at welter must be damn near impossible.

Whatever about Mayweather as a character, he is completely devoted to his art and won't be looking beyond Saturday night.

Anyone know the score with the drug testing for this fight? I think I read that Mosley had agreed to the same sort of procedures Mayweather wanted against Pacman but haven't heard much else. Considering Shane's past history it would seem odd if Mayweather wasn't mouthing off without testing.

Go to Youtube Gallsman and watch the HBO 24/7 programs for this fight.  The drug testing has been done and of aourse PBF has been letting the cameras know about Mosleys past with drugs!  Also, Mosley is in the middle of an ongoing battle over the dug use from years ago with the supplier of the drugs, all very messy.

DennistheMenace

Mayweather is without doubt not only quicker around the ring than Mosley (doubt anyone would debate that) but also his hand speed is quicker. Don't get me wrong Mosley is fast in delivering his punches but I doubt very much he'll get close enough often to make that much of an impact, if Mosley goes in and tries to KO Mayweather then he's going to be his worst enemy and Floyd will simply pick him off with his counter punching and could KO Shane.

Honestly think Mosley's best chance of winning if by fighting boring with his jab and not engaging in the fight Mayweather wants but I doubt this will be the case. Mayweather on points for me if not a late TKO.

Club Rossa

Mayweather will have too much for Mosely and i think he will win comfortably on points.

DennistheMenace

Really starting to look forward to the fight, is it sad that I'm planning on not getting too drunk to take this fight in, yeah probably.

Anyway, the last series of the 24/7 is due to air in America tomorrow so it will be well worth watching when it comes online probably Saturday morning.

Also, is there a general boxing thread on this forum ? Could do with one if there isn't.

ross4life

What time will this fight be on? i guess when we all come in from the night out??
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DirtyDozen12

QuoteFloyd Mayweather Jr and Shane Mosley both made the weight for Saturday night's eagerly-awaited showdown in Las Vegas.

The pair will lock horns in the biggest fight of 2010 so far, as 'Money' Mayweather bids to extend his unbeaten professional record to 41 straight wins.

Mayweather weighed in at 146lbs at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Friday, a pound under the welterweight limit.

Mosley weighed right on the 147lb limit, with both fighters looking in prime condition.

'Sugar' Shane could present Mayweather Jr with the biggest test of his career so far, but is coming off a 16-month lay-off at the age of 38. He hasn't fought since demolishing Antonio Margarito in January 2009.

Mayweather Jr meanwhile returned from a brief retirement to comfortably outpoint Juan Manuel Marquez at the same venue last September.