CONNAUGHT U21 FOOTBALL FINAL

Started by rocco, March 29, 2010, 10:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 04, 2010, 07:45:58 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on April 04, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
its probably why Sligo don't win underage titles. Ye take yer beatings and don't learn from them.

the last few years Mayo identified having better and experienced managers at underage levels as being crucial.

success and a winning habit at underage will eventually filter through to senior teams.

We beat Galway in Tuam and I saw loads of areas to improve the team which the management didnt. We do learn from defeats even victories but what can fans do only support.

The problem in Sligo is people like me arent getting underage jobs. Id love to get involved. Call me if your listening.

If anyone with any authority in Sligo reads this, please make that happen...that might just be the most entertaining managerial appointment in the history of the GAA!

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 04, 2010, 09:23:37 PM
its probably why Sligo don't win underage titles. Ye take yer beatings and don't learn from them.

the last few years Mayo identified having better and experienced managers at underage levels as being crucial.

success and a winning habit at underage will eventually filter through to senior teams.

We beat Galway in Tuam and I saw loads of areas to improve the team which the management didnt. We do learn from defeats even victories but what can fans do only support.

The problem in Sligo is people like me arent getting underage jobs. Id love to get involved. Call me if your listening.

If anyone with any authority in Sligo reads this, please make that happen...that might just be the most entertaining managerial appointment in the history of the GAA!

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 04, 2010, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 04, 2010, 09:23:37 PM

;D Luv it!

Same team colours and everything...
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

magpie seanie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 04, 2010, 08:26:02 PM
I'm surprised that Sligo lads aren't blaming Vincent Neary for another loss!!!

I know. In this case we have to take the plank out of our own eye before we go after Vincent's splinter.

SLIGONIAN

I did have this symbol after that line in bold below ;), I wouldnt take it seriously now but in 10yrs time it maybe differnet. No 27yr old will get a Sligo job ::). I think I said something in the past and GBB came up with the goods. Well played.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RedandGreenSniper

I don't know Denis Johnston too well but I know he wasn't too well regarded after he managed Charlestown but . . .

I know it is frustrating to lose a game ye feel ye might have won. But after seeing Roscommon in the semi-final, they are a good side and well organised. Which is key.

But one question if we are looking at games in isolation. How could Sligo improve so much from last year's Connacht final where Mayo didn't have to leave second gear to beat them by about ten points? Maybe Roscommon played poorly but still did enough to win?

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 05, 2010, 12:51:35 PM
I don't know Denis Johnston too well but I know he wasn't too well regarded after he managed Charlestown but . . .

I know it is frustrating to lose a game ye feel ye might have won. But after seeing Roscommon in the semi-final, they are a good side and well organised. Which is key.

But one question if we are looking at games in isolation. How could Sligo improve so much from last year's Connacht final where Mayo didn't have to leave second gear to beat them by about ten points? Maybe Roscommon played poorly but still did enough to win?

Well I played for Sligo vocational county team for 2yrs under Johnston, he didnt impress me at all. Fitness coach and thats about it. Old school and boring trainer, no tactics at all. If we had played Padraic Clarke and Maye in the FF line we won enough at midfiled to win the game. I never have and never will buy into the best team always wins. Roscommon won but sure in so many ways it was handed to them on plate by our line like 08.

If we improved what were like last yr? We were poor enough this yr at u21. I wouldnt be Fergal O Flatherty biggest fan either, in 08 we blew a Connacht semi because of inaction on the line. Basic stuff again.

There is only 1 problem in Sligo is Manager Selection at Underage. No one in Sligo rates Moyles, FOF and now Johnston will have very few fans. Mulhern is under pressure but June 27th will decide his fate.

No point looking back to 09. Different players, different managers.

ross4life

i know you have given your views on where it could have been won Sligonian but i'm sure you were expecting better than one point from play in 60 mins after the hard fought win over a good Galway side

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

I've never read such shite in all my life :o

Any team that could only manage one point in the entire second half, with a strong wind behind them, and home advantage, deserved what they got. NOTHING.

Where the hell is all this supposed underage talent in Sligo. Their minor and U-21 teams are NEVER serious contenders for Connacht titles apart from a once in a blue moon year like this year. I think too much was made of Sligo's win over Galway. Yes, Galway won the minor title 3 years ago, but that has no bearing on anything that's happening now.

I've seen this shit from Sligo people before. Win one game and they think they're Barcelona.
The same thing happened their seniors in 1998 after they drew with Roscommon in Hyde Park. I well remember listening to the late Willie The Shoe on the MWR Sports talkshop, the following Thursday night, and nearly every man , woman and dog in Sligo must have phoned in.
It wasn't to tell us that they would win the replay, but by how much they were going to win it.
We all know who won.

If, as Sligonian claims, there is no football in this Ros U-21 team, where then does this leave the galacticos that are the current Sligo U-21 team ???

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 04:50:36 PM
i know you have given your views on where it could have been won Sligonian but i'm sure you were expecting better than one point from play in 60 mins after the hard fought win over a good Galway side

I wasnt that shocked we scored so little, i knew going in maye would get most scores from frees, and would struggle to get in a postion to score with playing so deep, I had a fair idea dunne and judge wouldnt score, i knew darren Gilsenan would run at his man with pace but wouldnt punish roscommon with an end product, he was straight through on goal, with the goal gapping from 5 yards with a slight angle and still didnt back himself enough to shoot, instead passed to roscommon back who must of though it was birthday. I knew Paul Kelly was another good ball carrier like Gilsenan but no real scoring threat. That leaves Padraic Clarke who got our point from play, thats the man I would of start FF, hes good to his back to goal, Johnston would know this if he went Sligo minors in last few yrs.

I knew the 2 wing forward pace would cause roscommon problems and I would created space for them and then i have maye or clarke timing runs off the shoulder. Stuff like that i have worked on the training field.

I didnt think our midfield and defence would do so well so credit there, but that came from Roscommon being alot poorer than I expected in reality. People need to get into there heads that we were poor against Galway. Galway at underage is not the scalp people think they are nowadays. In ways we were better against Roscommon shockingly i know.

Just reading shrewdness, if you read back i didnt get carried away and i wrote the above before your rubbish.

ross4life

At Minor Level Galway won the Connacht Championship in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, & 2007 so i was quite surprised to see Sligo beat there under 21 in Tuam

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on April 05, 2010, 05:38:04 PM
At Minor Level Galway won the Connacht Championship in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, & 2007 so i was quite surprised to see Sligo beat there under 21 in Tuam
There players are gone way back.

All the messages im getting is another one thrown away, i agree, if ye rossies cant handle that we handed to ye well tough shit, take the money and run, the Sligo view isnt changing. At least were taking responsibilty for it and not lookingoutside ourselves for scapegoats like refs etc,..

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 05, 2010, 05:43:37 PM
There players are gone way back.

All the messages I'm getting is another one thrown away, i agree, if ye rossies cant handle that we handed to ye well tough shit, take the money and run, the Sligo view isnt changing. At least were taking responsibilty for it and not lookingoutside ourselves for scapegoats like refs etc,..

well that's football even happens at senior level  >:(  like Us rossies handed it to Galway in 1998 & Sligo to kerry last summer

personal i can't read much into Saturdays dogfight & for me we learned more about ourselves v Mayo & i knew we had a decent team after our hasting cup Success in February

Dublin should be a good test looking forward to a good game

GalwayBayBoy

in fairness only the 2007 minors would be relevant to this year's U-21's and they actually won the All-Ireland at the time. Last couple of minor teams have done nothing though.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 05, 2010, 05:30:32 PM
I've never read such shite in all my life :o

Any team that could only manage one point in the entire second half, with a strong wind behind them, and home advantage, deserved what they got. NOTHING.

Where the hell is all this supposed underage talent in Sligo. Their minor and U-21 teams are NEVER serious contenders for Connacht titles apart from a once in a blue moon year like this year. I think too much was made of Sligo's win over Galway. Yes, Galway won the minor title 3 years ago, but that has no bearing on anything that's happening now.

I've seen this shit from Sligo people before. Win one game and they think they're Barcelona.
The same thing happened their seniors in 1998 after they drew with Roscommon in Hyde Park. I well remember listening to the late Willie The Shoe on the MWR Sports talkshop, the following Thursday night, and nearly every man , woman and dog in Sligo must have phoned in.
It wasn't to tell us that they would win the replay, but by how much they were going to win it.
We all know who won.

If, as Sligonian claims, there is no football in this Ros U-21 team, where then does this leave the galacticos that are the current Sligo U-21 team ???

I'm sorry Shrewness but what you have posted there is utter tripe. You simply must not have read what people like myself and Sligonian posted on this thread before and after the Galway game and before the final. We know well there are weaknesses in our side and were worried that what happened would happen. Is there any need for you to be so condescending? If you want to make a serious point then do so but spare us the Willie the Shoe phone in shows as evidence ffs.