Cork V Mayo - What odds on a draw?

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mrhardyannual on April 09, 2010, 05:03:37 PM
Its amazing what the passage of time and a degree of bile and bias will do to history. Reading some posts lately I was left wondering how many Mayo posters saw any NfL league games in1995/96 or did they all wait for the final stages of championship!.... but just for the record:
Tom Reilly (Mitchels and Castlebar) came out of retirement in 1995 and played in all/nearly all Mayo's league campaign in Div3! In fact the two stars of that campaign were Flanagan in defence and Reilly in attack. I'm sure reports of these games are archived by Western/Mayo News/Telegraph. There might have been no championship revival in '96 had it not been for the foresight of Maughan to bring Flanagan, Holmes and Reilly back to mix with the youngsters in what was a torrid campaign( Match v Wexford moved to a bog of a pitch stands out in my mind). Any player who dons the Green and Red should been given respect especially by those of us who wouldn't tie their laces. Excuse the rant. I'm right fine now.

The results are there alright and, courtesy of Willie Joe's mayogaablog.com, I had a brief look at them. Maybe, just maybe, you should have done the same. If you had taken the trouble to do this, you mightn't have wasted a perfectly good rant!

Tom Reilly took no part in the first two games; against Galway and Roscommon respectively.
He came on as a sub for the third one (v Antrim) and scored 0-1.
He played the next one against Monaghan but was held scoreless.
He held his place for the game v Wexford, the one that stands out in your mind, but he was taken off and replaced by Pat Fallon.
He played no part in the next one v Sligo.
The last game of the league series was against Fermanagh and here he came on as a sub and scored 0-1.
He took no part in the QF against Meath.
Finally, he played his second full game in the semi final defeat where he scored a total of 0-3, 0- 2 from frees.
Mayo were involved in a total of 9 games in the league campaign you refer to.
He started in 3 but managed to finish only two of these.
He didn't figure at all in 4 out of 9 games. That's hardly "and played in all/nearly all Mayo's league campaign in Div3!"
Along the way, he scored 0-3 from play and 0-2 from placed balls.

Indeed there may not have been a championship revival in 1996 if Maughan hadn't the 'foresight' to bring him back but I'm curious to know how you can see any connection between his form in the league and Mayo's subsequent championship run. After all, Maughan saw fit to ignore him throughout the campaign until the last few minutes of the replay.
Maybe I'm missing something; would you please start up another rant and enlighten me?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 09, 2010, 05:20:41 PM
Its amazing what the passage of time and a degree of bile and bias will do to history. Reading some posts lately I was left wondering how many Mayo posters saw any NfL league games in1995/96 or did they all wait for the final stages of championship!.... but just for the record:
Tom Reilly (Mitchels and Castlebar) came out of retirement in 1995 and played in all/nearly all Mayo's league campaign in Div3! In fact the two stars of that campaign were Flanagan in defence and Reilly in attack. I'm sure reports of these games are archived by Western/Mayo News/Telegraph. There might have been no championship revival in '96 had it not been for the foresight of Maughan to bring Flanagan, Holmes and Reilly back to mix with the youngsters in what was a torrid campaign( Match v Wexford moved to a bog of a pitch stands out in my mind). Any player who dons the Green and Red should been given respect especially by those of us who wouldn't tie their laces. Excuse the rant. I'm right fine now.

I thought they were one club. :P PS, there was a six point cushion in the replay... We went 1-4 to 0-1 up after the brawl I do believe. :-\

The 6 point lead in the replay was mentioned in the context of the much maligned JM giving a mate a run out presumably assuming the game was won. I seriously doubt any manager has ever emptied the bench after going up 6 points early in a game, especially it is was a replay of a game where you had lost a 6 pint lead late on.
MWWSI 2017

mrhardyannual

Thanks Lar for the kick in the ass. I think I made my own point re. each of us distorting history to a degree. I may have been a little heavy with the butter but still contend that Reilly made a huge contribution within the squad that year. In training he and Gary Ruane( who didn't feature on any c/ship team that year) were immense. Reilly was bedevilled by injury. He continued to play post All-Ire and featured in 3 league games in Div.2. I would have checked the archive but hadn't come across Willie Joe's blog until you cited it. Jam on the bread! It's a great source.
Finally no rant today. Few pints last night, breakfast delivered to the bed this morning, sun shining, sky blue..... what more could a man want. Bring on the Langers ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mrhardyannual on April 10, 2010, 02:31:19 PM
Thanks Lar for the kick in the ass. I think I made my own point re. each of us distorting history to a degree. I may have been a little heavy with the butter but still contend that Reilly made a huge contribution within the squad that year. In training he and Gary Ruane( who didn't feature on any c/ship team that year) were immense. Reilly was bedevilled by injury. He continued to play post All-Ire and featured in 3 league games in Div.2. I would have checked the archive but hadn't come across Willie Joe's blog until you cited it. Jam on the bread! It's a great source.
Finally no rant today. Few pints last night, breakfast delivered to the bed this morning, sun shining, sky blue..... what more could a man want. Bring on the Langers ;D

No problem at all. Glad to see you onboard and I think you have what it takes to last the pace. As you may already have noticed, a true blue green & red supporter never lets facts get in the way of a good row; opinions or, better still, prejudices are all you need to get started!
Talking of that sound man, Willie Joe, I have one or two with him but I don't think it did either of us any harm.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

I'll plump on a draw myself. 1-12 to 0-15. Mayo with the goal.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 09, 2010, 05:20:41 PM

I thought they were one club. :P PS, there was a six point cushion in the replay... We went 1-4 to 0-1 up after the brawl I do believe. :-\

Sure Breaffy is a suburb of the town now, have the Breaffy lads decided to rename themselves Castlebar Breaffys.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

western exile

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 09, 2010, 02:15:02 PM
I see Cork have made nine changes to the team for Sunday.
I don't think for a moment that means Counihan is not taking the result seriously; most of the incomers are very experienced and capable performers. Given the hype that has built up, the dogfight for championship places is going to be interesting. For many who will be on show, this could be their last chance to catch Counihan's eye.
Still, all those changes have to disturb the sides's rhythm; I'm far happier to see nine changes than none at all!
Mayo have been cat at times throughout the league. But when you think about it, the wins they had were deserved-even if they were very lucky at times and the one they lost was down to their own shortcomings. Dublin didn't outclass them but they shot fewer wides. 
Mistakes and inexperience are part and parcel of the learning process and Mayo have made plenty of the former because of the latter. They are still very much on course and even if they don't win the league, Johnno and his troops have given a good account of themselves.
I've been thinking about goals at either end of the field and I have to say Mayo have done quite well in both cases.  The total of goals conceded has been skewed by the last gasp ones by Derry and Kerry. If either had been scored earlier in the respective games, I'd be concerned alright but they were due to lapses of concentration and the quare fella on the sideline can be relied on to make sure the backs stay awake to the end from now on. To my way of thinking, the said quare fella can stick Conoreen or Ronny in at fullback as long as Cork has no more success at beating Clarkie than any other side to date.
Up front, I think it's fair to say we have been doing quite well and Conoreen damn near added to the total in spectacular fashion. With all their stumbling and fumbling, the lads have still managed to knock in a total any one could reasonably be proud of.

I plan to go along to see them continue the good work and, win or lose, I think the result will be a positive one and will bring the side along a good deal.
BTW: I'm taking up Paddy Power's odds; any other takers?
Yep. I am taking them at 15/2   (any draw).
My feeling is 1-11 each

moysider

Mayo to win here. On the basis that they need to more. Tyrone don't look too scary and Dublin will go hard for the win. Besides with this new more accountable timing draws are as rare as hen's teeth.

blast05

QuoteIndeed there may not have been a championship revival in 1996 if Maughan hadn't the 'foresight' to bring him back

Reilly and Larry Finnerty were the the gel of experience, character and humour that brought that panel together. Without them i doubt very much that Mayo team would ahve got out of Connacht never mind beat Kerry.

Tubberman

Cork 0-01 Mayo 0-01
Howley long ball to Aidan O'Shea who fed Dillon - scored from a tight angle.
Fintan Gould shot pushed over the bar by David Clarke.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Cork 0-01 Mayo 0-02

Aidan O'Shea fouled, Dillon points the free. Mayo seem to be winning all the breaks around the middle

Tubberman

Cork 0-02 Mayo 0-03

Missed who got the Cork score. Conor Mortimer free after a fould on Aidan O'Shea. Aidan seems to be really up for it.

Tubberman

Another fould on Aidan O'Shea. Dillon points the free. 4 points to 2.

Tubberman

Cork 0-04 Mayo 0-04

Two points in a minute for Cork. O'Connor with the last score from a free.

Tubberman

Cork 0-05 Mayo 0-04

Colm O'Neill free. Sounds like a fast tempo game.