Cork V Mayo - What odds on a draw?

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 08, 2010, 11:28:55 PM
QuoteKeith Higgins apart, I haven't seen a corner back with the self-discipline necessary to stick to his primary duties since the days of Mortimer—and Flanagan in '96 anyway

That's probably true although A Higgins and G Ruane were both genuine backs rather than just good footballers which is what we have an awful lot of.

McG vs Donaghy?? Would be interesting to see but not a hope of it happening. IMO, McG wouldn't have a hope against Donaghy. If he would, then we should be playing him FF instead of at MF.
I think Caff is still worth a go in the corner. He's ok at FB if he gets cover from the corners and might still be our best option if Conroy/Feeney aren't up to it.

Cahill was a great FB (probably not recognised as being great outside Mayo/Connacht though) partly because 1) he had two good corner backs 2) Mayo probably had the top midfield/Half backs/half forwards in terms of ball-winning in the country. Not to take away from the man but it's easy to be a great FB when you have that kind of protection instead of the opposition having all the time in the world to rain ball in on top of you as happened Heaney in 04/06.

Johnno not naming the team til Sunday again.......Off with his head!!!  ;)

I think Reilly was 38 when he came on in 96 but I could be wrong on that. Exceptionally foolish move by Maughan......

You may well be right about him not having a hope. And your spot on about it never happening. we re too sensible to try anything like that. We would never have played a midfielder like McAnnallen at fb or relocated the second McMahon from hf to corner back to do a marking job.  But if he cant mark Donaghy then we certainly have nobody else that could even drag him down. But I can t think of a county that has including Tommy Griffin. Cork s Shields? No. McCloy, Bastic, Hanley, none.
On the subject of versatility, Kerry is a great example of a study in versatility. In my time you had John O Keefe (midfield to full-back) Paudie Lynch ( 11, Midfield, hb and corner) Power ( wing back and  half forward) Seanie Walsh ( FF, Midfield and Full back) Paudie ( midfield, wing back and corner) Moynihan( midfield, hb and fb) Griffin ( midfield, hb and fb) McCarty ( cb, fb and chb). These fellas were prepared to be adaptable to suit the teams needs and as their careers evolved. In this county we seem to think players were branded with a number on their arses at birth. Kerry have also been unashamed about playing basketball players and have had more of them than ourselves, but unlike us they dont seem to beat themselves up about it. There s Quirke and Donaghy at the moment. There was a Brian ? Walsh? played against Mayo in 96. And even before Der Bomber  Dwyer was unashamededly tring out a fathach at 14 straight out of the hoops game. It didn't work but he knew what he was at. Cant remember yer mans name but I ll find out.

I ve no doubt that McGar would make a good target man himself but like McHale before him I d say you d have a job convincing him playing anywhere except midfield - unfortunately. Mayo players can be a bit inflexible at times for some reason.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 08, 2010, 11:55:50 PM
QuoteWe never had a lead to give anyone a run in the replay.

Didn't we have a six point cushion at one stage in the 2nd half of the replay as well???

Christ above, I hope not. Maybe it was worse than I remember. And believe me I ve tried very hard to forget. f**king thing should never have gone to a replay. Reilly substitution was an act of desperation tbh. Even in the canal end it was clear we were brown bread by then.

Foreverhopeful

ya it's crazy that stuff. If i was Mcgarrity i'd be running for the 14 jersey. Maybe his ego won't be massaged enough if he thinks he's not needed in midfield and someone else is pulling down the skyscrapers?
I'm not saying that Mcgarrity has an ego but it may be a reason. He's used to being the one doing all the high-fielding in the middle and he gets on ball around there a fair bit laying it off etc. (getting his hands on plenty of the ball just like basketball). In FF he wouldn't be getting that same fix if you get me? McGarrity wouldn't be a traditional GAA player in that sense so he wouldn't be a "give me any old jersey" type of lad

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: moysider on April 09, 2010, 12:38:27 AM
You may well be right about him not having a hope. And your spot on about it never happening. we re too sensible to try anything like that. We would never have played a midfielder like McAnnallen at fb or relocated the second McMahon from hf to corner back to do a marking job.  But if he cant mark Donaghy then we certainly have nobody else that could even drag him down. But I can t think of a county that has including Tommy Griffin. Cork s Shields? No. McCloy, Bastic, Hanley, none.
On the subject of versatility, Kerry is a great example of a study in versatility. In my time you had John O Keefe (midfield to full-back) Paudie Lynch ( 11, Midfield, hb and corner) Power ( wing back and  half forward) Seanie Walsh ( FF, Midfield and Full back) Paudie ( midfield, wing back and corner) Moynihan( midfield, hb and fb) Griffin ( midfield, hb and fb) McCarty ( cb, fb and chb). These fellas were prepared to be adaptable to suit the teams needs and as their careers evolved. In this county we seem to think players were branded with a number on their arses at birth. Kerry have also been unashamed about playing basketball players and have had more of them than ourselves, but unlike us they dont seem to beat themselves up about it. There s Quirke and Donaghy at the moment. There was a Brian ? Walsh? played against Mayo in 96. And even before Der Bomber  Dwyer was unashamededly tring out a fathach at 14 straight out of the hoops game. It didn't work but he knew what he was at. Cant remember yer mans name but I ll find out.

I ve no doubt that McGar would make a good target man himself but like McHale before him I d say you d have a job convincing him playing anywhere except midfield - unfortunately. Mayo players can be a bit inflexible at times for some reason.

Brian Clarke from Dr Crokes. Handy basketballer back in the day alright.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ballinaman

Never beat the deeler

QuoteKeith Higgins apart, I haven't seen a corner back with the self-discipline necessary to stick to his primary duties since the days of Mortimer—and Flanagan in '96 anyway

That's probably true although A Higgins and G Ruane were both genuine backs rather than just good footballers which is what we have an awful lot of.

McG vs Donaghy?? Would be interesting to see but not a hope of it happening. IMO, McG wouldn't have a hope against Donaghy. If he would, then we should be playing him FF instead of at MF.
I think Caff is still worth a go in the corner. He's ok at FB if he gets cover from the corners and might still be our best option if Conroy/Feeney aren't up to it.

Cahill was a great FB (probably not recognised as being great outside Mayo/Connacht though) partly because 1) he had two good corner backs 2) Mayo probably had the top midfield/Half backs/half forwards in terms of ball-winning in the country. Not to take away from the man but it's easy to be a great FB when you have that kind of protection instead of the opposition having all the time in the world to rain ball in on top of you as happened Heaney in 04/06.

I think Reilly was 38 when he came on in 96 but I could be wrong on that. Exceptionally foolish move by Maughan......

Am I missing something here? Heaney's been playing FB for the best part of ten years!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Tubberman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 09, 2010, 03:54:58 AM

Am I missing something here? Heaney's been playing FB for the best part of ten years!!

And Barry Moran moved from MF (fair enough, he was never regular there) to FF. And Moran is far more suited to FF than McG in my eyes, even though it didn't really appear that way last year. McGs best position is MF, and we should leave him there.
I don't think he's mobile enough to be playing FB on the likes of Donaghy, and it would weaken our midfield to move him back. We've played Conroy on Donaghy before and he did very well, so let's not try to create more problems for ourselves than we already have - we have enough of them after all  ;)

R&GS mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised to see Alan Feeney get the No 3 jersey on Sunday. I would have liked to see Feeney get a chance at number 3 (or even 2 or 4) earlier in the league, but R&GS said he was injured. I think it could be a bit unfair on him to throw him in on Sunday against that FF line without having had a couple of games to bed in. But I suppose if he did well, at least we know we have a real option.
Like Moysider, I can't see why Aidan Higgins was dispensed with a couple of years ago. He was a calm, tough, defend-first, experienced defender - God knows, they're not plentiful in the squad.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

I see Cork have made nine changes to the team for Sunday.
I don't think for a moment that means Counihan is not taking the result seriously; most of the incomers are very experienced and capable performers. Given the hype that has built up, the dogfight for championship places is going to be interesting. For many who will be on show, this could be their last chance to catch Counihan's eye.
Still, all those changes have to disturb the sides's rhythm; I'm far happier to see nine changes than none at all!
Mayo have been cat at times throughout the league. But when you think about it, the wins they had were deserved-even if they were very lucky at times and the one they lost was down to their own shortcomings. Dublin didn't outclass them but they shot fewer wides. 
Mistakes and inexperience are part and parcel of the learning process and Mayo have made plenty of the former because of the latter. They are still very much on course and even if they don't win the league, Johnno and his troops have given a good account of themselves.
I've been thinking about goals at either end of the field and I have to say Mayo have done quite well in both cases.  The total of goals conceded has been skewed by the last gasp ones by Derry and Kerry. If either had been scored earlier in the respective games, I'd be concerned alright but they were due to lapses of concentration and the quare fella on the sideline can be relied on to make sure the backs stay awake to the end from now on. To my way of thinking, the said quare fella can stick Conoreen or Ronny in at fullback as long as Cork has no more success at beating Clarkie than any other side to date.
Up front, I think it's fair to say we have been doing quite well and Conoreen damn near added to the total in spectacular fashion. With all their stumbling and fumbling, the lads have still managed to knock in a total any one could reasonably be proud of.

I plan to go along to see them continue the good work and, win or lose, I think the result will be a positive one and will bring the side along a good deal.
BTW: I'm taking up Paddy Power's odds; any other takers?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ball Hopper

And even before Der Bomber  Dwyer was unashamededly tring out a fathach at 14 straight out of the hoops game. It didn't work but he knew what he was at. Cant remember yer mans name but I ll find out.

[/quote]

Tim Regan from Spa was tried full forward without success...was probably that little bit too old at the time to adapt to a new style of game.  Tim never played a championship game for Kerry.

From 1975 until Bomber started in 1978 the following started at 14 for Kerry:

Ray Prendiville, John Bunyan, Mike Sheehy, John Egan, John O'Keeffe, and Sean Walsh.

1974 had ex-corner back Seamus MacGearailt there, while 1973's 2 games featured one Mick O'Dwyer at 14.

diehard

If I was JOM I would want to find out three things from the Cork game:
1. Who will play at FB in the championship?
2. Who will play at FF in the championship?
3. How might our defence cope with a big powerful forward line?
Now is the time to know the answers to these questions - not later in the year when the stakes are much higher.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 09, 2010, 02:33:18 PM

And even before Der Bomber  Dwyer was unashamededly tring out a fathach at 14 straight out of the hoops game. It didn't work but he knew what he was at. Cant remember yer mans name but I ll find out.

Tim Regan from Spa was tried full forward without success...was probably that little bit too old at the time to adapt to a new style of game.  Tim never played a championship game for Kerry.

From 1975 until Bomber started in 1978 the following started at 14 for Kerry:

Ray Prendiville, John Bunyan, Mike Sheehy, John Egan, John O'Keeffe, and Sean Walsh.

1974 had ex-corner back Seamus MacGearailt there, while 1973's 2 games featured one Mick O'Dwyer at 14.
[/quote]

Both Prendiville and Bunyan are mentioned in Tom Humphries book on Kerry v Dublin. Prendiville scored the first championship goal of the Dwyer era but then was dropped, I think, and did get a medal before moving to Meath. I think Bunyan preferred the hurling but was involved at the start too.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mrhardyannual

Its amazing what the passage of time and a degree of bile and bias will do to history. Reading some posts lately I was left wondering how many Mayo posters saw any NfL league games in1995/96 or did they all wait for the final stages of championship!.... but just for the record:
Tom Reilly (Mitchels and Castlebar) came out of retirement in 1995 and played in all/nearly all Mayo's league campaign in Div3! In fact the two stars of that campaign were Flanagan in defence and Reilly in attack. I'm sure reports of these games are archived by Western/Mayo News/Telegraph. There might have been no championship revival in '96 had it not been for the foresight of Maughan to bring Flanagan, Holmes and Reilly back to mix with the youngsters in what was a torrid campaign( Match v Wexford moved to a bog of a pitch stands out in my mind). Any player who dons the Green and Red should been given respect especially by those of us who wouldn't tie their laces. Excuse the rant. I'm right fine now.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mrhardyannual on April 09, 2010, 05:03:37 PM
Its amazing what the passage of time and a degree of bile and bias will do to history. Reading some posts lately I was left wondering how many Mayo posters saw any NfL league games in1995/96 or did they all wait for the final stages of championship!.... but just for the record:
Tom Reilly (Mitchels and Castlebar) came out of retirement in 1995 and played in all/nearly all Mayo's league campaign in Div3! In fact the two stars of that campaign were Flanagan in defence and Reilly in attack. I'm sure reports of these games are archived by Western/Mayo News/Telegraph. There might have been no championship revival in '96 had it not been for the foresight of Maughan to bring Flanagan, Holmes and Reilly back to mix with the youngsters in what was a torrid campaign( Match v Wexford moved to a bog of a pitch stands out in my mind). Any player who dons the Green and Red should been given respect especially by those of us who wouldn't tie their laces. Excuse the rant. I'm right fine now.

I thought they were one club. :P PS, there was a six point cushion in the replay... We went 1-4 to 0-1 up after the brawl I do believe. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

I hope that these suggestions that McG wouldn't play at all if he was put in FF are rubbish?? If they are even partially true, he (or any other player with that attitude) should be told to sling his hook. As I said, I doubt it's true

Would be interesting to see a FB line of O'Malley Feeney Caff.