Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2010, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 08, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 08, 2010, 11:32:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2010, 05:59:00 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 07, 2010, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 07, 2010, 04:10:24 PM
I'll start: Paddy Navin - excellent reader of the game. Got injured in 05/06 and curtailed his progress. They say he has lost a bit of pace but if he was training with Mayo his sharpness would improve. He is 26 years old now.
P.S. - only Mayo player to make his debut in an All-Ireland final

Not sure thats true, thought Ray Dempsey did also

I thought Dempsey definitely played before the final in 1989 maybe in the Connacht Final. There is a picture of him with Willie Joe leaving the field after the Tyrone game. In fact I believe he didn't start that one only due to a personal bereavement.

I didn't think so Muppet but I'm open to correction.

Ros ur an awful man for the anti JOM, so I wont bother arguing with you over it, theres a lot of FFs in Mayo who dont like JOM for his politics and slate him whether he's doing well or not.

As for Keane being the next Cahill, isn;t that exactly what we said about Caff? I think we're too quick to write off Caff, he style is different to what we've seen before, he's never likely to beat his man to the ball everytime but what he does do is get a hand in where he shouldn't or stick to them like glue when they have it. I'd stick with him, he'll learn and grow.
2 seperate notes, we see have to have kevin cahill up on a pedestal, yes a great full back but i think he's getting better with every failed FB we get. Also current FBs have probably the toughest full forward to deal with since the Bomber, maybe ever, I think Donaghy will be viewed as the outstanding footballer of his generation, ahead of O'Neill, Gooch etc.

Dempsey played in the CF replay in '89. Refer WJs excellent site: http://mayogaablog.com/

Wasnt there a Reilly came on in the replay in 96?

Navin and Conroy both made their debuts from the bench in 04

Tom Reilly, believe me it wasn't his debut. Search youtube for a cracking goal against the Rossies in 1988 (I think) set up by a young Liam McHale.

Tom must've been a ripe old age when he came on in 1996

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on April 08, 2010, 11:23:43 PM
I'll start: Paddy Navin - excellent reader of the game. Got injured in 05/06 and curtailed his progress. They say he has lost a bit of pace but if he was training with Mayo his sharpness would improve. He is 26 years old now.

I thought Dempsey definitely played before the final in 1989 maybe in the Connacht Final. There is a picture of him with Willie Joe leaving the field after the Tyrone game. In fact I believe he didn't start that one only due to a personal bereavement.

Ros ur an awful man for the anti JOM, so I wont bother arguing with you over it, theres a lot of FFs in Mayo who dont like JOM for his politics and slate him whether he's doing well or not.

As for Keane being the next Cahill, isn;t that exactly what we said about Caff? I think we're too quick to write off Caff, he style is different to what we've seen before, he's never likely to beat his man to the ball everytime but what he does do is get a hand in where he shouldn't or stick to them like glue when they have it. I'd stick with him, he'll learn and grow.
2 seperate notes, we see have to have kevin cahill up on a pedestal, yes a great full back but i think he's getting better with every failed FB we get. Also current FBs have probably the toughest full forward to deal with since the Bomber, maybe ever, I think Donaghy will be viewed as the outstanding footballer of his generation, ahead of O'Neill, Gooch etc.

Dempsey played in the CF replay in '89. Refer WJs excellent site: http://mayogaablog.com/

Tom Reilly, believe me it wasn't his debut. Search youtube for a cracking goal against the Rossies in 1988 (I think) set up by a young Liam McHale.

U-21 CHB this this was his son Eoghan I believe.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

QuoteKeith Higgins apart, I haven't seen a corner back with the self-discipline necessary to stick to his primary duties since the days of Mortimer—and Flanagan in '96 anyway

That's probably true although A Higgins and G Ruane were both genuine backs rather than just good footballers which is what we have an awful lot of.

McG vs Donaghy?? Would be interesting to see but not a hope of it happening. IMO, McG wouldn't have a hope against Donaghy. If he would, then we should be playing him FF instead of at MF.

I think Caff is still worth a go in the corner. He's ok at FB if he gets cover from the corners and might still be our best option if Conroy/Feeney aren't up to it.

Cahill was a great FB (probably not recognised as being great outside Mayo/Connacht though) partly because 1) he had two good corner backs 2) Mayo probably had the top midfield/Half backs/half forwards in terms of ball-winning in the country. Not to take away from the man but it's easy to be a great FB when you have that kind of protection instead of the opposition having all the time in the world to rain ball in on top of you as happened Heaney in 04/06.

Johnno not naming the team til Sunday again.......Off with his head!!!  ;)

I think Reilly was 38 when he came on in 96 but I could be wrong on that. Exceptionally foolish move by Maughan......

stephenite

Lar Naparka

There was indeed; Tom Reilly from Kiltimagh if my memory is right.  He had been a fringe player for some time never could nail down a regular spot. No disrespect whatever to Tom, but many Mayo fans took his coming on to mean Maughan would have fielded Paddy Bluett before he's give Kevin O'Neill a run.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 08, 2010, 11:35:10 PM

There was indeed; Tom Reilly from Kiltimagh if my memory is right.  He had been a fringe player for some time never could nail down a regular spot. No disrespect whatever to Tom, but many Mayo fans took his coming on to mean Maughan would have fielded Paddy Bluett before he's give Kevin O'Neill a run.

Tom was from Monaghan and transferred to Castlebar while still a teenager as he was a bank official I believe.

He would smile at being referred to as a Kiltimagh man. One of his long time Mitchels teammates was though.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

I thought Reilly was from Mitchells??

My recollection was that they had played together for Mayo & Mitchells and he was just giving him a run for the last few minutes as we had already won the game...... :(

Foreverhopeful

i think full forwards have changed unbelievably in last fifteen/twenty years. Likes of Stephen O'neill, Bernard Brogan, Bradley would have been corner forwards then. Now with the work they do in the gym they have become target men well capable of winning the hard ball themselves. That is why the no.3 role has become so hard. We now have quick strong players playing there kicking off either foot. The gym work they do is crazy. Bernard Brogan is a tank now. 20 yrs ago he would have been a wirey corner forward!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2010, 11:38:09 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 08, 2010, 11:35:10 PM

Tom was from Monaghan and transferred to Castlebar while still a teenager as he was a bank official I believe.

He would smile at being referred to as a Kiltimagh man. One of his long time Mitchels teammates was though.

Who??
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 08, 2010, 11:39:02 PM
I thought Reilly was from Mitchells??

My recollection was that they had played together for Mayo & Mitchells and he was just giving him a run for the last few minutes as we had already won the game...... :(

A Jeysus I don't mind a bit of bashing some facts wouldn't go amiss. Tom came on in the replay not the drawn game. We never had a lead to give anyone a run in the replay.

His entry was memorable though as he ran through two Meathmen as he ran onto the pitch hitting them both at the same time.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on April 08, 2010, 11:23:43 PM

Ripe! Almost rotten on the tree. Monaghan man in the bank that played with Mitchels and became 'more Mayo than the Mayos themselves' His son was 6 on U21 s this year. How he was embraced in Mayo. We loved him with his long curly blonde hair and always a hint of a tummy.
I still cant get over his appearance in Sept 96. And it was nt just that he was well past the 35 mark. Hell he was hardly a serious  player at club level by then - but had been it has to be said. Then he runs straight in and the first thing he does is slaps Darren Fay straight in the jaw. It wasn't a good sign that Fay didn't bother gettin annoyed. Mother of God, what were they thinking?

macdanger2

QuoteWe never had a lead to give anyone a run in the replay.

Didn't we have a six point cushion at one stage in the 2nd half of the replay as well???

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 08, 2010, 11:55:50 PM
QuoteWe never had a lead to give anyone a run in the replay.

Didn't we have a six point cushion at one stage in the 2nd half of the replay as well???

Didn't think it was as big a lead late on as the drawn game.
MWWSI 2017

Foreverhopeful

love the way we have ended up at 96 final after my original statement about paddy navin! Ya can't beat the football talk.
Anyone have an idea of the A v B teams that played trial game last weekend.

macdanger2

From reading mayogaablog.com, it appears that BJP played CHF on Howley and scored 1-1. Not sure how he got on other than that.........