Comm-it-tee established to end pitch invasions

Started by seafoid, March 23, 2010, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: Hardy on April 01, 2010, 10:05:44 AM
Quote from: Etienne Lantier on April 01, 2010, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 24, 2010, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2010, 09:26:23 AM
Why do supporters need to be on the pitch?

Why, like?

Exactly. It should be a time for the players. The players should be able to celebrate with the rest of the team, the lads they sweated blood with all year. They should have the opportunity to commiserate with opponents without a crowd of gombeens slapping into them and pullin and draggin at them as though they knew them.

Bollocks to that. What about the county's supporters who have stumped up via one means or another (Club County X, club levies, etc.) to fund the county team. Did the bus rent itself, did the dinners after training buy themselves, did the gym memberships buy themselves, etc, etc. Players don't achieve these things out of thin air and if getting a slap on the back from a happy supporter is too much of a price to pay, then we're further down the road to soccerville prima donnas than we ever thought.

That's a wonderful piece of hyperbole. Now - your case for allowing spectators onto the playing area?

Hardy, maybe you think dictating the terms of the discussion is your rhetorical ace, but it's just making you look a bit foolish.

The reason why supporters want to get on to the pitch at the end of the game is as clear as your nose. If your going to close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and hum there ain't a whole lot I can do about that.

Supporters want to be able to engage with the moment as fully as possible. It's a natural emotional thing, particularly for counties succeeding at the very pinnacle of our games. Sitting soberly in the Cusack stand watching a video screen while your county lift the trophy. Seems a bit antiseptic and anti-climactic, to me.

Do you not kiss your girlfriends/boyfriends? Sure it's silly isn't it? You wouldn't show passion would you, and besides, you might get hurt, or even have a heart attack?

Leo

It is proposed that the counties participating in final games at Croke Park will have to put up a bond which will be called in according to the level of pitch invasion attributed to the supporters of that county as judged by an insurance assessment panel. A cash scam in my opinion.
Fierce tame altogether

Uladh

Quote from: dublinfella on April 01, 2010, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2010, 11:13:39 AM
But surely we're not talking about the norm. I don't think anyone wants on for a stroll after every game but an all ireland final is not normal - your county has just reached the pinnicle and there's sam to be presented. after the final whistle, the players celebrate and have their 7/8 mins to make their way to the presentation area. patrons are reminded of the field access procedures in operation over the next 15 mins while the presentation feature is prepared in the hogan stand.

I'm not big on tradition but i'm big on making the day as enjoyable and atmospheric as possible for everyone. The crowd on the pitch enhances all ireland final day for me

But winning the grand slam isn't the norm. Winning the FAI cup final isn't the norm. But the culture of those sports is that the only people allowed on the playing area wear boots. And I don't think the atmosphere is diminished as a result, there is no drive from the soccer and rugby lads to introduce pitch invasions.

I'm not of course saying that the GAA should follow everything other sports do, but the reality is the GAA is the only sports body anywhere where this tradition has festered. Is there a justification to redisgn stadia to allow people safely exit onto the pitch like you suggest?

Why should what other sports do dictate our policies? sure, take them into account but we are allowed to make our own decisions.

H&S - which i have had the misfortune to work in - has a lot to answer for.

Stadia don't need redesigened. just policy

Hardy

Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2010, 11:13:39 AM
But surely we're not talking about the norm. I don't think anyone wants on for a stroll after every game but an all ireland final is not normal - your county has just reached the pinnicle and there's sam to be presented. after the final whistle, the players celebrate and have their 7/8 mins to make their way to the presentation area. patrons are reminded of the field access procedures in operation over the next 15 mins while the presentation feature is prepared in the hogan stand.

I'm not big on tradition but i'm big on making the day as enjoyable and atmospheric as possible for everyone. The crowd on the pitch enhances all ireland final day for me

I have no problem with that, but have doubts, as BC expressed, that it could be achieved, since the majority of spectators, if opinion here is anything to go by, haven't the slightest respect for crowd control procedures.

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on April 01, 2010, 11:46:48 AM
Quote from: Hardy on April 01, 2010, 10:05:44 AM

Why, like?

Exactly. It should be a time for the players. The players should be able to celebrate with the rest of the team, the lads they sweated blood with all year. They should have the opportunity to commiserate with opponents without a crowd of gombeens slapping into them and pullin and draggin at them as though they knew them.

Bollocks to that. What about the county's supporters who have stumped up via one means or another (Club County X, club levies, etc.) to fund the county team. Did the bus rent itself, did the dinners after training buy themselves, did the gym memberships buy themselves, etc, etc. Players don't achieve these things out of thin air and if getting a slap on the back from a happy supporter is too much of a price to pay, then we're further down the road to soccerville prima donnas than we ever thought.

That's a wonderful piece of hyperbole. Now - your case for allowing spectators onto the playing area?

Hardy, maybe you think dictating the terms of the discussion is your rhetorical ace, but it's just making you look a bit foolish.

The reason why supporters want to get on to the pitch at the end of the game is as clear as your nose. If your going to close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and hum there ain't a whole lot I can do about that.

Supporters want to be able to engage with the moment as fully as possible. It's a natural emotional thing, particularly for counties succeeding at the very pinnacle of our games. Sitting soberly in the Cusack stand watching a video screen while your county lift the trophy. Seems a bit antiseptic and anti-climactic, to me.

Do you not kiss your girlfriends/boyfriends? Sure it's silly isn't it? You wouldn't show passion would you, and besides, you might get hurt, or even have a heart attack?

I'm not trying to dictate anything. You seem to be the one who's trying to dictate how I should debate. Well, at the risk of looking even more foolish, I'll play my rhetorical joker: you still haven't given any justification for why spectators should be allowed onto the playing area. You've written a lot of emotional stuff about why they LIKE to get onto the pitch. I'm not aware of any law, convention or philosophy that translates people's wishes and desires into rights.

LeoMc

Why, like?

This is the same argument you hear from oul boys standing on the ditch at club matches giving out dogs abuse to their own players and justifying it by saying "I've paid my £4 in to this, I can shout what I like".

If you are a member of Club {Insert County name her} do you consider that you own these players? does your levy give you a right to do with them as you will?

Maybe the players should come into the stand after the game to pat you on the back for making it all possible?

dublinfella

Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2010, 12:10:36 PM

Why should what other sports do dictate our policies? sure, take them into account but we are allowed to make our own decisions.

Who is saying we shoud? Try reading what I actually said. The issue is that the GAA fans are the only fans anywhere who demand access to the pitch as a right. Thats worthy of dissection.

Stadia don't need redesigened. just policy

I agree. And the GAA have set up a commitee to do just that

Uladh

Quote from: dublinfella on April 02, 2010, 09:59:03 AM

Who is saying we shoud? Try reading what I actually said. The issue is that the GAA fans are the only fans anywhere who demand access to the pitch as a right. Thats worthy of dissection.

You're the man bringing up grand slams and other irrelavent events and citing them as the example to follow. Then you've the stones (or dearth of braincells) to ask who's advocating taking our lead from other sports?

Come on now fella. Every thread doesn't have to be one where you embarrass yourself.

lawnseed

as all people who have had the good fortune to have got to croker will have noticed when you read the h+S notices in the event of an emergency eg a fire or bombscare the procedure is to go on to the pitch... kind of makes sh1te of the argument of not getting on the grass because it too dangerous me thinks ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rav67

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 30, 2010, 07:23:25 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 24, 2010, 09:37:21 AM
Would it not be easier to allow it to happen and have plenty of disclaimers saying that croke park/GAA take no responsibility for those injured whilst on the pitch? Have this clearly shown in programmes, on the big screen and announcement over the speaker system?

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 24, 2010, 12:40:07 PM
It is not resposnsibe for any injury sustained by other parties not listed above.

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the legal context for these things, the GAA (like any organisation) can not absolve themselves from responsibility for 'death or personal injury' on their property.

I know nothing about southern law but under UK law any business cannot use a disclaimer to exclude liability for death or personal injury (Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977).  I imagine there's similar stautory provisions or case law in the South.

thejuice

I think the new proposals to stop Pitch Invasions will be tested this weekend in Croker. Especially if the Wee County win.

At last weekends leinster final I see they had some red netting over the first row of seats and will probably do the same. The Cats never tested it but thats hardly a surprise.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Maguire01

Quote from: thejuice on July 07, 2010, 04:53:24 PM
I think the new proposals to stop Pitch Invasions will be tested this weekend in Croker. Especially if the Wee County win.

At last weekends leinster final I see they had some red netting over the first row of seats and will probably do the same. The Cats never tested it but thats hardly a surprise.
It will be the same in Clones the following week - if Tyrone win, it won't be an issue, but if Monaghan win, there's not a mission they'll keep the crowd off the pitch.

donelli

Saw the crowds on the pitch after the munster final and plenty of the semi finals. Don't really see why the top brass want an end to it (bar trying to follow the English premier league again )

talktothehand

pitch invasions are only likely to get dangerous if you forcibly keep people off. if a crowd wants on the pitch, they'll get on the pitch. end of

orangeman

Yesterday's events in Croke Park have now handed the authorities reason now to force an end to pitch invasions.

instead of doing something positive about the result, you can expect the authorities to bring in an end to pitch invasions on the back of yesterday's assualt of the ref.

It won't make Louth lads feel any better all the same.

Maguire01

Will be interesting to see just how the manage to do this. Are they not already banned?