Comm-it-tee established to end pitch invasions

Started by seafoid, March 23, 2010, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Leaving your sarcasm aside for a minute hardy i genuinely believe that supporters on the pitch is a great tradition we have. I also believe that the majority of gaa members would support this view if were possible in a safe and orderly manner.

On 99 - the 3 meath players i know who played in that final certainly do not share your view. 2 found it odd and one remains angry about it to this day.

The pitch can be pigeon holed as a playing area if the association wish to pigeon hole it thus but it can be far more than that if we want it to. see the 125th celebrations, u2, the special olympics, etc.

Hardy

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 24, 2010, 11:51:35 AM

Leaving your sarcasm aside for a minute hardy i genuinely believe that supporters on the pitch is a great tradition we have. I also believe that the majority of gaa members would support this view if were possible in a safe and orderly manner.

On 99 - the 3 meath players i know who played in that final certainly do not share your view. 2 found it odd and one remains angry about it to this day.

The pitch can be pigeon holed as a playing area if the association wish to pigeon hole it thus but it can be far more than that if we want it to. see the 125th celebrations, u2, the special olympics, etc.

Sorry about the sarcasm - I can't help meself sometimes.

Of course I haven't canvassed the whole Meath team, so my statement went too far. But I'm willing to bet the majority of the players much preferred it to the yahooing scrum that it replaced.

I also find it incredible that while we read regularly of assaults on referees and players by spectators, people are still arguing for the pitch to be a free-for-all for any ould clown who feels like wandering onto it for any purpose he feels justifies his presence. In particular, the losing players in an AIF deserve better than to be exposed to the crude crowing in their faces (or worse - see Larry Tompkins, 1988) of a minority of the supporters of the winners.

I don't buy the tradition argument at all. We have all sorts of traditions that we're much better off for having left behind. I won't bother you with the list.

DuffleKing

I suppose its  matter of personal opinion.

I like that particular tradition.

We'll agree to differ on it

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 24, 2010, 11:32:45 AM

Why not?

Surely the players enjoy this aspect of the win as much as every other tradition associated with it?

Meath in 99 was a joke

I can only speak for myself but after the inital surge of winning a big championship game and celebrating with your team mates, the scrum of lads patting you on the back on the field can be very hard to cope with.  You maybe make a beeline for family and best friends but in between you have every man jack slapping you on the bag and bear hugging you whether they know you or not.

I prefer to savour the win and get the congratualtions in the realtive calmer environment of the club house/hotel after.  you have just busted your hole for an hour and the pure exhaustion and release of adrenalin is draining enough without being hauled aroun the show.

Only my opinion of course.

Denn Forever

Can the GAA not just issue a blanket statement that the pitch is for players, subs and offical staff associated with the team.  I

It is not resposnsibe for any injury sustained by other parties not listed above.

Has there been any claims by persons involved in pitch invasions?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Don't people run on to the pitch after rubby matches ?

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2010, 11:40:41 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 24, 2010, 11:32:45 AM

Why not?

Surely the players enjoy this aspect of the win as much as every other tradition associated with it?

Meath in 99 was a joke

On the contrary, as a Meath supporter, 1999 was the most satisfying All-Ireland win celebration I ever took part in. Ask any of the players and they'll tell you the same.

I didn't like it to be honest Hardy, but I was a lot younger then.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Hardy, the game is over and there is no actual playing when the people invade the pitch.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2010, 12:01:41 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 24, 2010, 11:51:35 AM

Sorry about the sarcasm - I can't help meself sometimes.

Of course I haven't canvassed the whole Meath team, so my statement went too far. But I'm willing to bet the majority of the players much preferred it to the yahooing scrum that it replaced.

I also find it incredible that while we read regularly of assaults on referees and players by spectators, people are still arguing for the pitch to be a free-for-all for any ould clown who feels like wandering onto it for any purpose he feels justifies his presence. In particular, the losing players in an AIF deserve better than to be exposed to the crude crowing in their faces (or worse - see Larry Tompkins, 1988) of a minority of the supporters of the winners.

I don't buy the tradition argument at all. We have all sorts of traditions that we're much better off for having left behind. I won't bother you with the list.
There is no doubt the majority of players would prefer the fans to stay in the stands. A lap of honour bringing the cup around the pitch with the crowd cheering and singing would be a far better and would prolong the celebrations and would definitely be also far better for those fans who can't make it onto the pitch.

Maguire01

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 24, 2010, 09:37:21 AM
Would it not be easier to allow it to happen and have plenty of disclaimers saying that croke park/GAA take no responsibility for those injured whilst on the pitch? Have this clearly shown in programmes, on the big screen and announcement over the speaker system?

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 24, 2010, 12:40:07 PM
It is not resposnsibe for any injury sustained by other parties not listed above.

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the legal context for these things, the GAA (like any organisation) can not absolve themselves from responsibility for 'death or personal injury' on their property.

dublinfella

Can the GAA not just issue a blanket statement that the pitch is for players, subs and offical staff associated with the team.  I

No, sure wouldn't they do it if they could?

€500,000 in claims, but its not clear from the press release from the annual report over how long a period - could have just been 09. A guy needed difibrilation last year. 

If the GAA decide to clamp down on it and some fans decide to preserve the tradation, it could get tasty. We could have a situation where the cops are ordered to arrest and charge everyone that they can who invades the pitch like soccer, and if that involves numbers, how long before the batons are out?

Dougal

Quote from: dublinfella on March 31, 2010, 12:56:49 PM

No, sure wouldn't they do it if they could?

€500,000 in claims, but its not clear from the press release from the annual report over how long a period - could have just been 09. A guy needed difibrilation last year. 

If the GAA decide to clamp down on it and some fans decide to preserve the tradation, it could get tasty. We could have a situation where the cops are ordered to arrest and charge everyone that they can who invades the pitch like soccer, and if that involves numbers, how long before the batons are out?

if cavan won a ulster or AI id chance it,what harm would a few wraps with a baton do anyway.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Onion Bag

I agree, the pitch invasion at the end of a final is a great gaa tradition and one that the gaa will have a problem curtailing.
i do appreciate that there is a health and safety isssue here and insurance and that but to cover themselves could they not just stick a statement on the tickets, programmes or make a couple of anouncements re; pitch invasion along the lines of, if you go onto the pitch you do so at your own risk, the gaa cnnot be held repsonsible for injury, blah blah blah
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

dublinfella

Quote from: Dougal on March 31, 2010, 01:46:23 PM

if cavan won a ulster or AI id chance it,what harm would a few wraps with a baton do anyway.

I'm not trying to be smart, but whats the difference between that attitude and that of a soccer hooligan?

They follow their team their way and to hell with the law and safety of others...

Just an observation