Comm-it-tee established to end pitch invasions

Started by seafoid, March 23, 2010, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal

Quote from: dublinfella on March 31, 2010, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: Dougal on March 31, 2010, 01:46:23 PM

if cavan won a ulster or AI id chance it,what harm would a few wraps with a baton do anyway.

I'm not trying to be smart, but whats the difference between that attitude and that of a soccer hooligan?

They follow their team their way and to hell with the law and safety of others...

Just an observation

sorry,should of been a smiley after that.i dont know where exactly id draw the line,but it would def be before police enforcement.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

dublinfella

Quote from: Dougal on March 31, 2010, 04:27:42 PM

sorry,should of been a smiley after that.i dont know where exactly id draw the line,but it would def be before police enforcement.

I'm not having a go at you, but there is a streak here that fans appear to be willing to defy the GAA and the cops/stewards and endanger other fans to keep alive a 'tradition'. To me that is the same as hooliganism.

lawnseed

i'm all for pitch invasions and for committees trying to stop them after all jarlath burns needs something to do when the schools are off... thought i read a monaghan man against invasions his county buddies didnt see anything wrong with getting on the grass when meath fumbled a paul finlay free into the net giving them the div 2 title dont think there was any silverware on offer so getting on the pitch was the highlight
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: LeoMc on March 24, 2010, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2010, 09:26:23 AM
Why do supporters need to be on the pitch?

Why, like?

Exactly. It should be a time for the players. The players should be able to celebrate with the rest of the team, the lads they sweated blood with all year. They should have the opportunity to commiserate with opponents without a crowd of gombeens slapping into them and pullin and draggin at them as though they knew them.

Bollocks to that. What about the county's supporters who have stumped up via one means or another (Club County X, club levies, etc.) to fund the county team. Did the bus rent itself, did the dinners after training buy themselves, did the gym memberships buy themselves, etc, etc. Players don't achieve these things out of thin air and if getting a slap on the back from a happy supporter is too much of a price to pay, then we're further down the road to soccerville prima donnas than we ever thought.

dublinfella

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on April 01, 2010, 12:00:45 AM

Bollocks to that. What about the county's supporters who have stumped up via one means or another (Club County X, club levies, etc.) to fund the county team. Did the bus rent itself, did the dinners after training buy themselves, did the gym memberships buy themselves, etc, etc. Players don't achieve these things out of thin air and if getting a slap on the back from a happy supporter is too much of a price to pay, then we're further down the road to soccerville prima donnas than we ever thought.

Is the issue here that the price to pay is currently half a brick a year in componsation because of dozens of injuries including a bloke having a massive heart attack?

You could argue all the above about any sport, but no-one ouside the GAA justifies pitch invasions on the basis that they helped fund the teams success.

Its a dangerous tradition and it shouldn't have to take a fatality for people to realise that its one that should go.

Hardy

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on April 01, 2010, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 24, 2010, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2010, 09:26:23 AM
Why do supporters need to be on the pitch?

Why, like?

Exactly. It should be a time for the players. The players should be able to celebrate with the rest of the team, the lads they sweated blood with all year. They should have the opportunity to commiserate with opponents without a crowd of gombeens slapping into them and pullin and draggin at them as though they knew them.

That's a wonderful piece of hyperbole. Now - your case for allowing spectators onto the playing area?

cornafean

Quote from: dublinfella on March 31, 2010, 12:56:49 PM
A guy needed difibrilation last year. 

I know someone who once suffered a heart attack while sitting in the stand at an All Ireland final. It would be unthinkable if he had sued the GAA for causing his heart attack. Ditto if the same thing had happened him while standing on the field after the game.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Uladh

I don't believe this health and safety hocum being held up as the reasoning for disallowing people from the grass.

Why should people not be orderly allowed onto the grass for the trophy presentation?

Hardy

I think that's the wrong question, Uladh. It assumes the norm is for spectators to be on the pitch and that the onus is on those who think otherwise to justify their position.

So I'd suggest the question is "why should people be allowed on the grass for the trophy presentation?"

(Extra marks if you answer without mentioning "tradition").

Dougal

sure why are people allowed to these matches at all?surely all that roaring and shouting must be annoying the players,and all those people in a small area must be a massive health and safety risk.televise matches,and forget about having supporters,it's far to dangerous. ::)
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Uladh

But surely we're not talking about the norm. I don't think anyone wants on for a stroll after every game but an all ireland final is not normal - your county has just reached the pinnicle and there's sam to be presented. after the final whistle, the players celebrate and have their 7/8 mins to make their way to the presentation area. patrons are reminded of the field access procedures in operation over the next 15 mins while the presentation feature is prepared in the hogan stand.

I'm not big on tradition but i'm big on making the day as enjoyable and atmospheric as possible for everyone. The crowd on the pitch enhances all ireland final day for me

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2010, 10:38:06 AM

I don't believe this health and safety hocum being held up as the reasoning for disallowing people from the grass.

Why should people not be orderly allowed onto the grass for the trophy presentation?

Fine if it is done in an orderly fashion, but it is not.  It is an unmerciful flood of over excited supporters, high on adrenalin(or other stuff if from Dublin :P), a good few with a fair slap of drink, and veryf few with any sense.  Mix that in with one set of players trying to celebrate a great win and another set of players completely despondent then you have a dangerous mix.  Never mind the crush but is it beyond the realms of possibility that given the way tribalism has increased in respect of the games that some half cut ejit will go up to a beaten player, e.g Paul Galvin, and say something along the lines of "serves ye right ye hoor ye" and player in a fit of temper lashes out at him. 

Supporters do not own the players nor do they own the game and as a result they do not have an inherent right to treat things as they will.  Unless you are a player who has been caught up in the scrum it is hard to appreciate what that is like.  Let supporters onto the field in an orderly fashion by all means, but the supporters need to respect that and not try to break the fence down in their burning desire to be part of what they paid for, and therefore are entitled to,  if Etienne Lantier is to be believed.

Uladh

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 01, 2010, 11:18:21 AM

Fine if it is done in an orderly fashion, but it is not.   It is an unmerciful flood of over excited supporters, high on adrenalin(or other stuff if from Dublin :P), a good few with a fair slap of drink, and veryf few with any sense.  Mix that in with one set of players trying to celebrate a great win and another set of players completely despondent then you have a dangerous mix.  Never mind the crush but is it beyond the realms of possibility that given the way tribalism has increased in respect of the games that some half cut ejit will go up to a beaten player, e.g Paul Galvin, and say something along the lines of "serves ye right ye hoor ye" and player in a fit of temper lashes out at him. 

Supporters do not own the players nor do they own the game and as a result they do not have an inherent right to treat things as they will.  Unless you are a player who has been caught up in the scrum it is hard to appreciate what that is like.  Let supporters onto the field in an orderly fashion by all means, but the supporters need to respect that and not try to break the fence down in their burning desire to be part of what they paid for, and therefore are entitled to,  if Etienne Lantier is to be believed.

Sure how would it be orderly when people have to negotiate fenches, stewards, gates, etc. full length rugby tackles from overpaid jobsworths, with blaring warnings not to infringe on the pitch in your ears, don't lend themsleves to orderly queuing.

I'm not militantly demanding that supporters should be allowed on. I'm saying that i think it can be organised and facilitated to everyone's satisfaction if we but a bit of an effort in, and i think they majority would want that.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2010, 11:27:25 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 01, 2010, 11:18:21 AM

Fine if it is done in an orderly fashion, but it is not.   It is an unmerciful flood of over excited supporters, high on adrenalin(or other stuff if from Dublin :P), a good few with a fair slap of drink, and veryf few with any sense.  Mix that in with one set of players trying to celebrate a great win and another set of players completely despondent then you have a dangerous mix.  Never mind the crush but is it beyond the realms of possibility that given the way tribalism has increased in respect of the games that some half cut ejit will go up to a beaten player, e.g Paul Galvin, and say something along the lines of "serves ye right ye hoor ye" and player in a fit of temper lashes out at him. 

Sure how would it be orderly when people have to negotiate fenches, stewards, gates, etc. full length rugby tackles from overpaid jobsworths, with blaring warnings not to infringe on the pitch in your ears, don't lend themsleves to orderly queuing.

I'm not militantly demanding that supporters should be allowed on. I'm saying that i think it can be organised and facilitated to everyone's satisfaction if we but a bit of an effort in, and i think they majority would want that.

True, you have over officious stewards but how many times have you seen supporters splilling onto the field before the game has finished?  There is a massive responsibility on the fans to exercise common sense and wait till the players have been brought into the presentation area.  History has shown that supporters don't do that, therefore you have to have a strict hardline view on stopping it as the supporters do not respect the notion of orderly.  You have a mass mentality when you have 30,000 supporters baying to get onto the field and as a result good sense goes out through the windows.  I agree that gates should be opened but supporters need to respect that this will not happen until the players have had their time to get themselves together and get the presentation organised.

dublinfella

Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2010, 11:13:39 AM
But surely we're not talking about the norm. I don't think anyone wants on for a stroll after every game but an all ireland final is not normal - your county has just reached the pinnicle and there's sam to be presented. after the final whistle, the players celebrate and have their 7/8 mins to make their way to the presentation area. patrons are reminded of the field access procedures in operation over the next 15 mins while the presentation feature is prepared in the hogan stand.

I'm not big on tradition but i'm big on making the day as enjoyable and atmospheric as possible for everyone. The crowd on the pitch enhances all ireland final day for me

But winning the grand slam isn't the norm. Winning the FAI cup final isn't the norm. But the culture of those sports is that the only people allowed on the playing area wear boots. And I don't think the atmosphere is diminished as a result, there is no drive from the soccer and rugby lads to introduce pitch invasions.

I'm not of course saying that the GAA should follow everything other sports do, but the reality is the GAA is the only sports body anywhere where this tradition has festered. Is there a justification to redisgn stadia to allow people safely exit onto the pitch like you suggest?