Irelands Greatest Figures

Started by Shortso79, March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Nally, tell me what you know of David Nelligan (apart from An Phoblacht).

I remember being at a rally in the early/mid 80s when Maskey said he'd never set foot in Stormont.

But things change and ideals refine themselves. Hume had the good of most at heart.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2010, 12:23:25 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 23, 2010, 12:17:55 AM

I remember being at a rally in the early/mid 80s when Maskey said he'd never set foot in Stormont.

But things change and ideals refine themselves. Hume had the good of most at heart.
In fairness, not when he was trying to get aul dolls at funerals to vote for him in this heap of shit.

Hume's current condition might not lend itself to his old dignity.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

In fairness, not when he was trying to get aul dolls at funerals to vote for him in this heap of shit.
You calling Rois's ma and aul doll? Controversial.

Maguire01

Given that this has been relayed third-hand, he could well have said "I hope you've voted for me" or something similar in joking manner. I can't imagine him (or anyone else) actively canvassing.

Oldhacker

Nally Stand, you said it was a`fact' that Hume supported the introduction of internment. You now know that he was attacked by the British Army on an anti-internment demonsration in Derry in 1971. Your only evidence to the contrary is a claim in an Phoblacht, Sinn Fein's party organ, from a Dublin civil servant whose name is unknown to the vast majority of the population. Neither Gerry Adams nor Martin McGuinness have ever supported this allegation. Would you care to reconsider your definition of a fact ?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2010, 12:28:35 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 23, 2010, 12:27:02 AM

You calling Rois's ma and aul doll? Controversial.
I knew that was coming. Probably true though. Rois is a qualified accountant, must be near 40.
Ziggy will consult his dossier before confirming...

Nally Stand

I know nothing of David Nelligan other than that he was (not according to An Phoblacht, but according to the Belfast Telegraph) a "senior" Irish Government official who's remarks were revealed in papers released under the 30 year rule (hence, hardly a claim he made for "west-brit propaganda" purposes, or else his remarks would have been made in public at the time). Whether his claims are true are not isn't even relevant. The fact that there is even good reason to believe he initially supported the introduction of internment, in my view, should rule him out of winning such an award. I have also stated that his self styled philosophy of post-nationalism would also be enough to rule him out for me.

And again can I say that I don't think he is in ANY WAY a bad person. He clearly isn't. But greater than James Connolly? Padraig Pearse? Rodger Casement? Wolfe Tone? St Patrick? St Bridget? St Colmcille? Oliver Plunkett?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/uk-ireland/top-diplomat-thought-hume-wanted-return-of-internment-14616414.html
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 23, 2010, 12:41:41 AM

I know nothing of David Nelligan other than that he was (not according to An Phoblacht, but according to the Belfast Telegraph) a "senior" Irish Government official who's remarks were revealed in papers released under the 30 year rule (hence, hardly a claim he made for "west-brit propaganda" purposes, or else his remarks would have been made in public at the time). Whether his claims are true are not isn't even relevant. The fact that there is even good reason to believe he initially supported the introduction of internment, in my view, should rule him out of winning such an award. I have also stated that his self styled philosophy of post-nationalism would also be enough to rule him out for me.

And again can I say that I don't think he is in ANY WAY a bad person. He clearly isn't. But greater than James Connolly? Padraig Pearse? Rodger Casement? Wolfe Tone? St Patrick? St Bridget? St Colmcille? Oliver Plunkett?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/uk-ireland/top-diplomat-thought-hume-wanted-return-of-internment-14616414.html
St Patrick wasn't Irish.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 23, 2010, 12:47:43 AM

St Patrick wasn't Irish.
You could argue likewise for James Connolly if you were that way inclined but I think our National Saint is worthy of 'honorary citizenship', don't you?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 23, 2010, 12:49:25 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 23, 2010, 12:47:43 AM

St Patrick wasn't Irish.
You could argue likewise for James Connolly if you were that way inclined but I think our National Saint is worthy of 'honorary citizenship', don't you?
I doubt he'd be too bothered either way.

fearglasmor

James Connolly gave up his life for the cause he believed in.
John Hume put himself in real risk of doing the same.
Mary Robinson, gave up Ireland for a better job.
Bono doesnt even give up his taxes for Ireland.
Is there someone else.

ardmhachaabu

I'm glad Hume got it just to spite Nally Stand because he took all the risks.

Oldhacker, was it Magilligan Strand?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Nally Stand

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 23, 2010, 10:27:51 AM
I'm glad Hume got it just to spite Nally Stand because he took all the risks.

Oldhacker, was it Magilligan Strand?

Unlike James Connolly, who took no risks whatsoever?

pintsofguinness

The whole thing is a load of shite anyway - makes me cringe.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Nally Stand

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 23, 2010, 10:44:04 AM
The whole thing is a load of shite anyway - makes me cringe.

Couldn't agree more. FFS Stephen Gatley in the top ten  ::)