Irelands Greatest Figures

Started by Shortso79, March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

armaghniac

John Hume

I have to say I agree. Derry wins out.

Miriam said that his winning was like having one of her children, I would have thought it a more unique experience!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

The man who argued for the introduction of internment and who coined the philosophy of post-nationalism (acceptance of/indifference to the partition of Ireland) has won a competition for Greatest Irish person ever?

It's on a par with Stephen Gatley having made the top 10. Laughable.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

swing-er-over

you my man, (Nally Stand) are a complete idiot if you dont realise what John Hume achieved for the North. Stop living in the 70's. Tube

ross4life

Quote from: armaghniac on October 22, 2010, 11:15:51 PM
John Hume

I have to say I agree. Derry wins out.

Miriam said that his winning was like having one of her children, I would have thought it a more unique experience!

Now that Miriam won i hope she Fucks off the TV for good!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Nally Stand

Quote from: swing-er-over on October 22, 2010, 11:42:58 PM
you my man, (Nally Stand) are a complete idiot if you dont realise what John Hume achieved for the North. Stop living in the 70's. Tube

As stated in a previous post, I do realise that he, along with Gerry Adams, brought about the start of the peace process, however I also think that the fact that he argued for the introduction of internment without trial of young nationalists and his invention of post-nationalism makes him an unjust winner of such a (admittedly pathetic) competition. Can you not discuss things without personal abuse no?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Oldhacker

Good man Nally Stand, you obviously believe without question everything which unnamed Dublin civil servants claim.  Hume was actually arrested on an anti internment protest in Derry in 1971, and was famously photographed after being soaked by a water cannon fired by the British Arny at the time. He is in poor health now, and not in a position to answer anonymous smears delivered decades later. Adams and McGuinness know what he contributed and have said so. Perhaps he could be given just a little credit for his work while he is still with us.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 22, 2010, 11:48:06 PM

As stated in a previous post, I do realise that he, along with Gerry Adams, brought about the start of the peace process, however I also think that the fact that he argued for the introduction of internment without trial of young nationalists and his invention of post-nationalism makes him an unjust winner of such a (admittedly pathetic) competition. Can you not discuss things without personal abuse no?

... strange then that Gerry has such high regard for Hume. First I ever heard that Hume called for interment of nationalists tho not that long ago since Martin McGuinness was telling people to inform to the police and calling those doing wat Sinn Fein not that long ago supported as 'traitors.'

ONeill

I never thought I'd see the day when people, republicans, believed West-Brit propaganda. Tell us all about your knowledge of his stance on internment
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

Maybe it should have been given to Gerry?

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Nally Stand

Quote from: Oldhacker on October 22, 2010, 11:54:33 PM
Good man Nally Stand, you obviously believe without question everything which unnamed Dublin civil servants claim.  Hume was actually arrested on an anti internment protest in Derry in 1971, and was famously photographed after being soaked by a water cannon fired by the British Arny at the time. He is in poor health now, and not in a position to answer anonymous smears delivered decades later. Adams and McGuinness know what he contributed and have said so. Perhaps he could be given just a little credit for his work while he is still with us.

The "nameless" person's name was David Nelligan. And I, twice already on this thread, have given him more than a little credit. I have twice stated that he was one of the key instigators of the peace process. That's more than small praise. I do not however, for the reasons given, believe he is Ireland's Greatest ever person.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 22, 2010, 11:57:42 PM

Maybe it should have been given to Gerry?

No, why?

Rois

My mum was talking to John Hume at a funeral last week and congratulated him on the programme - he urged her to vote, sounded like it meant a lot to him.

Sad to see that old age is catching up with him too quickly these days but heartwarming to hear of the care the people of Derry are taking of him.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open